Video interview with Chris Ward himself

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
eggtronics
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Video interview with Chris Ward himself

Post by eggtronics »

Late 2018 I was fortunate enough to be invited by Chris himself to take a look around and ask a few questions.

Of course, I’d never pass up an opportunity like that, so please enjoy the following discussion with Chris.

https://youtu.be/XvsAGWLrYbw
When I see a watch, the last thing I see is the time

Watch It All About
The WIAA Shop

I've always got loads of watches for sale, PM me to see what I've got available right now!
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: Video interview with Chris Ward himself

Post by Thegreyman »

Thanks for posting this Josh.

A few interesting points for me from the interview:
- CW enjoying 20% year on year growth, current year expecting to be sales of 20,000 watches at an average selling price of £500, their most profitable year too Chris thought.
- about 20% of watches sold currently are bronze cases, Chris accepted that may be a potentially short lived trend for bronze and they are always looking at other materials such as titanium.
- they hope to bring out a quick release bracelet early summer 2019. This would be a great feature if they had this on the Trident mk3, I’m not sure if they mentioned that at the GTG?
- Didn’t appreciate CW was a scouser, or at least that’s what his accent came over to me
- there was a quick look at the workshop where the technicians were overhauling a few watches, I could have sworn one of them was EssexPaul’s C1 PR :shock:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^^^ Since I joined the forum in November 2013, a few numbers have often been mentioned in various threads, for number of watches sold and year on year growth.

If I recall correctly the numbers always seem to have been 20,000 watches and 20% year on year growth.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

Thegreyman wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:37 pm Thanks for posting this Josh.

- CW enjoying 20% year on year growth, current year expecting to be sales of 20,000 watches at an average selling price of £500, their most profitable year too Chris thought.
- about 20% of watches sold currently are bronze cases, Chris accepted that may be a potentially short lived trend for bronze and they are always looking at other materials such as titanium.
- they hope to bring out a quick release bracelet early summer 2019. This would be a great feature if they had this on the Trident mk3, I’m not sure if they mentioned that at the GTG?
- Didn’t appreciate CW was a scouser, or at least that’s what his accent came over to me
- there was a quick look at the workshop where the technicians were overhauling a few watches, I could have sworn one of them was EssexPaul’s C1 PR :shock:

If it was Patrick were they using a hammer and chisel? Coz it sure came back scratched. Went to Biel too as they couldn’t fix it at CW towers. :lol:

Impressive stats too. Just tighten up on CS and QC and it’ll look good for them. :thumbup:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Andy-Smith
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 15

Post by Andy-Smith »

Great interview really enjoyed. many thanks. Andy
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

nbg wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:05 pm ^^^^^ Since I joined the forum in November 2013, a few numbers have often been mentioned in various threads, for number of watches sold and year on year growth.

If I recall correctly the numbers always seem to have been 20,000 watches and 20% year on year growth.

Neil
That is also my impression for the last two financial years certainy :?
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

H0rati0 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:19 pm
nbg wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:05 pm ^^^^^ Since I joined the forum in November 2013, a few numbers have often been mentioned in various threads, for number of watches sold and year on year growth.

Neil
That is also my impression for the last two financial years certainy :?
In fairness, one of the senior mods did once say that something mentioned in a casual way i.e. circa 20k, had become the accepted figure, whereas they believed it was actually less than that. So it's all a bit opaque really as like others, it does appear more Groundhog day than anything else. I'm pretty certain in an interview some while back, Mike France also mentioned the mystical 20k.

Anyway, that's a 10m UK sterling turnaround, now, what was their mark-up?
'Tis me
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

They did Patrick. Bracelet with QR pins will be de rigueur on the MkIII Trident. Hopefully will transfer to other models in time.
Thegreyman wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:37 pm - Didn’t appreciate CW was a scouser, or at least that’s what his accent came over to me
Very much so and an ardent Liverpool supporter. Goes to games at Anfield quite often.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: Questions - Chat with Chris - Manchester GTG - 27th April 2019

Post by Kip »

Well done Josh. :thumbup:

I was wondering when you were going to publish this.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Czechia
Senior
Senior

Post by Czechia »

Chris is a Scouser!! Any chance of a limited edition Liverpool FC themed piece, could a good year to do one 💪😉
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:30 pm

They did Patrick. Bracelet with QR pins will be de rigueur on the MkIII Trident. Hopefully will transfer to other models in time.
Guy
Thanks for the info Guy, another big selling point for me on the mk3 :thumbup:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way