CW c65 Automatic vs. Oris Sixty-Five (Movember)

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
TP Fit
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

CW c65 Automatic vs. Oris Sixty-Five (Movember)

Post by TP Fit »

So I am looking for my next watch and have narrowed it down between the C65 Auto and the Oris Sixty Five, Movember edition. I love both and of course $$$$ plays into it. I was pretty sure of getting the CW C65 until I saw the Oris. I know they look somewhat simila, at least to me they do. For some reason the Oris is just pulling me in with the aesthetics. Why? Is it a personal preference or is there something that draws me to it? I can't quite grasp why. Of course in the end its a personal choice but I would love to hear some feedback based on personal preference, value for the dollar, technical abilities etc, etc...

Thanks for your help!
TP Fit
Senior
Senior

Re: CW c65 Automatic vs. Oris Sixty-Five (Movember)

Post by TP Fit »

Sorry, I prematurely sent the post without the pics :shock:
Oris Movember.jpg
C65 Auto Black.jpg
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

For me the C65 wins hands down:

better looking (IMHO) especially in blue. I also prefer the slimmer hands and bezel
half the price
150m water resistance without a screwdown crown
Both use the SW200 movement

Done deal for me, though I will probably go for a C65 GMT. Of course YMMV!
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
TP Fit
Senior
Senior

Post by TP Fit »

You are right, i do like the slimmer and more simplified bezel..hmmm, I also agree on the blue dial, was just showing the black dial for comparison sake. I think if i get the c65 auto, that will loosen up so cash for the new c60 coming in May. Thanks for the help!
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

An interesting choice.

I prefer the lighter coloured markers and hands of the Oris and the gold highlights of the minute markers but prefer the shape of the hands and quarter markers of the C65.

The bezel of the C65 is better IMO as it's cleaner looking and has all the 5 minute numerals whereas the Oris only shows 10minute intervals in numerals.

I think the C65 deals with the date better than the Oris as it doesn't affect the quarter marker at 3 whereas on the Oris the marker at 6 looks like it's underlining the date as it's much reduced in size.

The C65 is cheaper.

What is the length of the warranty of the Oris?

Does the CW name logo at 9o'clock bother you ? If not then buy the C65.

It's an excellent overall design, looks good on the wrist, wears smaller than it's size IMO and looks great on bracelet or leather (I'd order it on the bracelet and buy a Hirsch (or similar) Performance strap) although the CW leather straps suit the look of the C65.
Bounce
Guru
Guru

Post by Bounce »

I am sure I will be in the minority here, but I actually prefer the Oris.

I think the minute markers on the bezel look good, I like the lume dot on the second hand, the date looks good at 6 o clock & it has the logo where it should be.

I am sure whichever one you choose you will be very happy., good luck.
Panerai Luminor GMT.
Omega Speedmaster Professional.
Tudor Pepsi GMT.
Tudor Harrods BB
Bremont ALT1 World Timer
C60 Trident MK3 GMT.
C60 Trident MK3 Tide.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

If both watches were offered to me for the same price, I’d walk out of the shop with the...

...Oris.

If I had to pay full RRP for them, I wouldn’t have gone into the shop!

That’s mainly because I have a C65 handwound already so I’m not really in the market.
Steve.
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

I tried the bronze edged bezel Oris in an AD last week. Loved the subtle hit of bronze (and would like to see how it’s patina develops over time) and the 40mm size was pretty decent on my wrist.

A couple of thinks put me off though. Firstly was the bronze. The one I tried had clearly been on and off a number of wrists since the leather strap was very well scuffed and worn (no way would I have accepted the watch in that state if I was to part with any cash!) and yet the bronze was neither raw or showing any obvious signs of patina either. When I asked about this I got a pretty non-descript answer and am wondering what alloy mix is used and if/how this will patina. Second was the price for a spec that is no higher than the CW - same movement, same materials, very similar look and I could not justify spending double the price for no significant spec upgrade.

Oris are releasing a version that has an all-bronze bezel rather than just an edging and a blue dial. I’d like to see that.

Until then I am more than happy with my C65. I think something pretty special will have to come along to beat that gem

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

They are both nice watches.

But it’s the C65 for me, blue dial.
Nicer hands. Blue hue on glass.
Half the price.
:thumbup:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

I will vote for the CW as well. With a minute track on the dial, no need for another on the bezel. Gives the C65 a cleaner, less cluttered look.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

They are both fine looking, in my book..maybe find room for both?..don't mean to cecil the thread, but you should take a look at the Oris 65 bonze bezel, as well..pretty much the same as the Movember version, but check it out..here is an old pic of mine before I switched straps..btw, Ebay has had a previously worn example available recently at a pretty nice price!!..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Jcalder68 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:20 pm ...

Oris are releasing a version that has an all-bronze bezel rather than just an edging and a blue dial. I’d like to see that.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28774&sid=2f33acd47 ... 20#p769776

It’s got a beautiful ink-blue dial, gold tinted hands and markers and non-vintage lume.

WRT the bronze, I’ve read that they’re using ‘an alloy that develops less patina’. Whilst they’ve not stated what it is my guess would be an aluminium bronze rather than phosphor bronze.
Tim
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

timor54 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:32 pm
Jcalder68 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:20 pm ...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28774&sid=2f33acd47 ... 20#p769776

It’s got a beautiful ink-blue dial, gold tinted hands and markers and non-vintage lume.

WRT the bronze, I’ve read that they’re using ‘an alloy that develops less patina’. Whilst they’ve not stated what it is my guess would be an aluminium bronze rather than phosphor bronze.
Same here...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
TP Fit
Senior
Senior

Post by TP Fit »

Thank you for all the advice and opinions! Very helpful! As Thunder1 suggested, the Oris with the bronze bezel is beautiful and I also wasn't sure how the patina would evolve. Thanks for the pic! Beautiful watch! Maybe the C65 in blue and the Oris with the bronze :lol: Plenty of options here and will get more complex when the new C60 comes out in May!
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by willttqs »

Beaverbrooks had a movember vision for only £1035 in their sale, I think it has gone now. At that price point I think it wins against a cheaper CW.