Diver shortlist and some convincing needed

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Deployant Dave
Junior
Junior

Diver shortlist and some convincing needed

Post by Deployant Dave »

All. I'm after a dive watch and have just shy of £750 available to fund this purchase. My shortlist is numerous models from the following:

Tissot
Certina
Roamer
Seiko
Timefactors
Steinhart

Can anyone convince and tempt me to adding a Trident to this list please? Or even another brand not listed?

Thanks
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: Diver shortlist and some convincing needed

Post by Thegreyman »

Add a Trident.

Reason - you joined the Christopher Ward forum, you must like the watches.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Deployant Dave
Junior
Junior

Post by Deployant Dave »

Fair point. I gather it's a generic forum for all makes and models though, not just Ward? I'm intrigued by the brand but something niggles/concerns me about commiting at the moment, hence why I need some convincing that a Trident can trump the others shortlisted.

I have been on WUS and TZUK also. Some pointed me to here (whereas some, conversely, advised I steer well clear).
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by biggus_richus »

I became aware of Christopher Ward about this time last year. I now own three Trident C60s, two 42s and a 38 and despite the fact they are essentially the same watch, they are different enough from one another to keep their places in my collection. The design of the watch itself appeals to me, as does the company itself and the story behind it. I also hope to add a C65 at some point.

Watches are a personal thing. If it's feasible, I recommend a trip to the showroom so you can convince yourself.
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
Rebnats
Senior
Senior

Post by Rebnats »

I would have thought by joining CW Forum you would have far more praise for their products rather than opposing the brand.
Also in fairness members here tend to give honest opinions and reviews of their experience whatever brand is in question.
As for my personal experience, nothing but praise for the two watches Tridents I own. I can also vouch for their 60 day returns policy, when I had a full refund on a watch I had to return to them.
So if unsure order some to try out knowing you could always return them under their excellent returns policy.
C60 Trident Bronze Pro 600
C65 Trident GMT.

Tag Heuer McLaren .
Tissot Classic T Touch.
Seiko Starfish.
Deployant Dave
Junior
Junior

Post by Deployant Dave »

Rebnats wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:15 am I would have thought by joining CW Forum you would have far more praise for their products rather than opposing the brand.
Also in fairness members here tend to give honest opinions and reviews of their experience whatever brand is in question.
As for my personal experience, nothing but praise for the two watches Tridents I own. I can also vouch for their 60 day returns policy, when I had a full refund on a watch I had to return to them.
So if unsure order some to try out knowing you could always return them under their excellent returns policy.
Thank you. I'm not opposing the brand at all just looking to the members and fans to convince me investing in a Trident is worthwhile especially when the aforementioned competition produce some very tempting models and Swiss Made assurance (in many cases).

To be honest I am a bit confused by the sheer number of C Ward models past and present. I tend to go by the 'less is more' mantra and feel that too much choice is confusing and stressful. I do though like the look of the Trident, more so the previous model I think, and just need assurance that what I spend will be worth it with regard to quality and reliability as well as how it looks on the wrist.
Deployant Dave
Junior
Junior

Post by Deployant Dave »

biggus_richus wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:58 am I became aware of Christopher Ward about this time last year. I now own three Trident C60s, two 42s and a 38 and despite the fact they are essentially the same watch, they are different enough from one another to keep their places in my collection. The design of the watch itself appeals to me, as does the company itself and the story behind it. I also hope to add a C65 at some point.

Watches are a personal thing. If it's feasible, I recommend a trip to the showroom so you can convince yourself.
Thank you.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Deployant Dave wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:26 am
Thank you. I'm not opposing the brand at all just looking to the members and fans to convince me investing in a Trident is worthwhile especially when the aforementioned competition produce some very tempting models and Swiss Made assurance (in many cases).

To be honest I am a bit confused by the sheer number of C Ward models past and present. I tend to go by the 'less is more' mantra and feel that too much choice is confusing and stressful. I do though like the look of the Trident, more so the previous model I think, and just need assurance that what I spend will be worth it with regard to quality and reliability as well as how it looks on the wrist.
Dave, the main USP of CW over the years has been the value for money. They make great watches for the money. Also the Trident is by far CW's most enduring and biggest selling model. I have owned a number of them both mk1, mk2 and planning to buy a mk3 in the near future too. They are well made, stylish and not overtly a homage unlike a number of other competitors e.g. Steinhart.

There are plenty photos of Tridents in the gallery section of the forum, and plenty on ebay to at least look at and give you an idea of the different models. Essentially mk1 came in 38/42mm sizes, mk2 in 38/43mm. Mk3 will add an intermediate 40mm size which looks like it may be very popular.

There are quartz and auto models, a GMT, day date and SH21 (in house movement) options too. Something for all tastes and budgets.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

I wouldn't have thought you'd need convincing to add a Trident to a list that contains Timefactors and Roamer. I mean no disrespect to those brands, but their dive watches can't hold a candle to the current C60 600.

Imo, apart from some of Seiko's more expensive offerings, I don't think any of those brands manufacture a dive watch as good as the C60.
Tissot's Powermatic was a decent looking watch, but their recent update of it looks a bit 'meh' in person. Certina's DS range are pretty good looking, but I'd prefer it if they came with a ceramic bezel. The insert looks a little 'plasticky'.

You have a decent budget and if you're willing to buy pre-owned, why not look at the Oris Aquis or the new Longines Hydroconquest ceramic? There is a 43mm version of the latter on Ebay atm within your budget. They also make a 41mm.

Best of luck with the decision :thumbup:
Ryan
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

Are you in the UK? If so, just get one to look at, if you don't like it then send it back in as new condition without wearing it and you'll get your return postage paid as well.

Alternatively, if you're anywhere near Deddington, I'll show you a couple. If you're near Maidenhead, book a showroom visit - you will not be subjected to pressure!

There's nothing quite like handling a watch to assess the quality.
There's always time for one more.
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by PaulJS »

Hi Dave,
Despite a few QC issues flagged up on here the Trident is, in my opinion, a very well made product and pretty much bullet proof. My two get day to day use in a fairly hostile construction environment and have proved faultless in over 3 years. This is in respect of both reliability and how they stand up cosmetically to daily abuse. If the aesthetics of the current Trident appeal to you then one should definitely be on your shortlist.

However, there is one big caveat: do not, under any circumstances pay anywhere near full price! anything up to 50% discount may be achievable and your timing could be spot on for a cut price clear out with the MK 3 imminent.

As has been said the 60\60 provision gives a risk free means of checking first hand.

One final point. - If you want a real world dive watch with a pretty much unrivalled pedigree at a great price then check out Scurfa watches. The Bell Diver 1 is, I believe, incredible VFM.

Enjoy the selection process!

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
Chris375
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 15

Post by Chris375 »

I know it has been mentioned that there have been a few QC issues flagged up on the forum when put into perspective to the number of watches produced and sold each year by CWL it is such an insignificant percentage. I am obviously guessing here but shouldn't think they are any worse than other watch producers.
As PaulJS suggests, unless you decide to purchase one of the new C60 Mk3's when they get released in May, you should manage to get a really good deal on most of the watches. Also, the 60/60 is a great guarantee but make sure it is only 'tried on' for fit and look on your wrist and not worn for a period of time before changing your mind.

Good luck with what you decide and keep us posted.

Cheers,
Chris
10xCW, 3xBremont, 2xTag Heuer, 6xOmega, 1xHamilton, 1xSeiko
Deployant Dave
Junior
Junior

Post by Deployant Dave »

Thanks all so far. Most helpful.
GTC854
Senior
Senior

Post by GTC854 »

I can understand your angst - it is difficult to commit to a watch without seeing and touching it. I posted a similar plea for help last year as I was torn between a Tissot and a C60. However some presurrised selling at the shopping centre caused me to buy the Tissot but with a gurantee that it could be returned. When I got home my rational brain kicked in and I decided to order the C60 too as it could be returned. It was great to judge both watrches side by side. IMO the CW was head and shoulders above the Tissot. It 'felt' better which made it seem a higher quality product and all the small details such as the hands and back of the case set it off beautiully. I therefore took the Tissot back.
I would, as others have done in this thread, caution against paying the full price. CW regualry produces offers and you may wish to consider signing up to their mailing list to ensure you receive them.
One other minor point. If you were considering buying a diver with a rubber or leather strap the fact that the Trident on these straps comes with two release pins as part of the strap makes swapping them really really simple and no tools are required.
Gordon
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Deployant Dave wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:56 am All. I'm after a dive watch and have just shy of £750 available to fund this purchase.
. Or even another brand not listed?

Thanks
Plenty of selection in the Forum's list of Watch Brands

You might find something you've not thought of.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England