Rolex: OP39 v Explorer1

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Deployant Dave
Junior
Junior

Rolex: OP39 v Explorer1

Post by Deployant Dave »

Morning all.

Other than one being slightly cheaper and also being more readily available, is the Explorer 1 worth the extra money and wait?

Are dealers still holding back cards and box for 12m?

Thank you.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: Rolex: OP39 v Explorer1

Post by nbg »

On the basis that OP39 is £4,350 and 39mm Explorer is 5,000 surely it just comes down to which of the two you prefer?

I.e. when thinking about spending that amount the 15% extra for the Explorer seems daft not to stretch to If that is the watch you prefer and equally daft to pay if you really prefer the OP39.

Setting aside the difference in aesthetics between the two, the only practical difference is the easylink extension on the Explorer.

Both excellent watches. :thumbup:

There seems to be no consistent policy on warranty card retention. I am not sure many ADs would bother to retain the warranty card for an OP39 or an Explorer, as they are not watches that you could sell either privately or to a dealer for more than RRP.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

If you like lume, I think the Explorer wins:

Richard
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

Yes :thumbup:

Old pic
Deployant Dave
Junior
Junior

Post by Deployant Dave »

Some nice Exporer shots. Any OP39 owners here?
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

For me the question is a little different: Exp 1 vs OP 36 blue dial.

FIt some Mercedes hands to it, and you've got yourself the blue Explorer Rolex never made.

2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
SIB
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by SIB »

Ive had both models and still have the OP39 (rhodium dial version). I just preferred the look of the OP39 and find the bracelet more comfortable.
Deployant Dave
Junior
Junior

Post by Deployant Dave »

SIB wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:50 pm Ive had both models and still have the OP39 (rhodium dial version). I just preferred the look of the OP39 and find the bracelet more comfortable.
I think I'm with you there.

Lume shots are always impressive but I can't say I've ever needed to ever use it.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Lavaine wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:56 pm For me the question is a little different: Exp 1 vs OP 36 blue dial.

FIt some Mercedes hands to it, and you've got yourself the blue Explorer Rolex never made.
Lovely watch, beats the blue OPs but i've tried a 36 on and it's just too small and the 39 is perfect on my wrist so I need Rolex to do a 39 blue dialled Explorer (please)
ateague
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by ateague »

Owned both and kept the OP39

roll dice three kingdoms
Deployant Dave
Junior
Junior

Post by Deployant Dave »

That's spot on.
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

A wee bump to this thread as I don't want to start a new one needlessly.

I'm almost certainly going to buy an Explorer in the next 18 months or so and have started to put the feelers out with AD's with regards to availability.

I had a decent chat with my most local one and they seemed happy to get a hold of one whenever I was ready.

Goldsmiths in Reading were more than happy to tell me they wanted a purchase history or another purchase to go along with it before they'd part with one. Never a smugger muppet have I met. There's no chance I'll ever buy something I don't want just to obtain the right to buy the watch I actually want.

Another chain replied to an email within 24 hours with an offer of getting one in, whilst advising of a 1-4 month wait.

Has anyone else come across the same attitude elsewhere as shown in Goldsmiths? I wouldn't have been surprised if I was asking for a Sub or a Daytona but really didn't expect it for an Explorer.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Wouldn’t touch it with a bargepole, old boy. It’s nowt but **** toffee-nosed ****!

I am in a similar position in that I am seriously considering an Explorer as my retirement watch. Fortunately I have previous (twice) with the only Rolex AD in Norwich. But if they expected me to buy an OP or DJ just to qualify I would tell them to go make like the Christmas turkey.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:47 pm Wouldn’t touch it with a bargepole, old boy. It’s nowt but **** toffee-nosed ****!

I am in a similar position in that I am seriously considering an Explorer as my retirement watch. Fortunately I have previous (twice) with the only Rolex AD in Norwich. But if they expected me to buy an OP or DJ just to qualify I would tell them to go make like the Christmas turkey.
Do you have long left to work? Whilst it being a retirement watch is a good sentiment my advice would be to enjoy things if and when you can. Too many people put off things they enjoy until retirement and then don't have long enough to enjoy them. I don't mean it to sound like I'm wishing you ill health, more like we just never know when it's our time.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

9 months. I retire mid July next year.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)