Dress watch - Help me decide

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Gyelex
Junior
Junior

Re: Dress watch - Help me decide

Post by Gyelex »

Thanks Amor, yeah I realised that. It's so annoying! I just neeed to find one though. I have a very particular C9 in mind
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

richtel wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:04 pm
H0rati0 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:16 am
richtel wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:13 am This will be my dress watch for the time being- ETA automatic movement, exhibition caseback, less than $300 USD from Jomashop.

IMG_3082.jpg

https://www.jomashop.com/certina-watch- ... 31-00.html
That's pretty and appears to be quite a deal. How is the case & clasp quality?

I do appreciate a sub seconds for a dress watch.
Not too bad at all. The case sides are polished and top surfaces of the lugs are brushed to a good standard. The hour markers have polished bevel facets which catch the light nicely and the wave guilloche on the dial is very nicely done indeed- the waves producing nice patterning which vary with orientation. I'm not a fan of butterfly clasps, and this is no exception, but at least it's polished well and doesn't have any 'slop' in the linkage. The caseback is pushfit where I'd have preferred a screw-down but still alleged to be 100m resistant. The thin application of lume on the hour markers and hands is a bit rubbish. The crown is also small and polished and the action quite stiff, so not easy to turn- but you only need 5 or so turns to get the watch ticking and away and ready to wear. All in, good looking, goes well with smart office wear as well as, surprisingly, a casual shirt and jeans. Definitely one of the best value watches I've bought in a long time.

IMG_3086.jpg
IMG_3087.jpg
IMG_3089.jpg
IMG_3092.jpg
IMG_3093.jpg
You did well! If it wasn't so similar to my Fortis (though the Fortis is very thin at only 7.3mm) I would be very tempted.
_ND22067.jpg
Also, I do agree that dress watches generally go very nicely with jeans. I often wear with casual clothes, so long as I am not getting involved in any rough stuff.

Interestingly, that clasp looks the spitting image of the Fortis one, I hold to the theory that most of them are made by the same supplier and just branded (and marked up of course) appropriately. The clasp alone for the Fortis (as an optional extra) cost about half the price of that Certina!
IMG_0472.jpg
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Deployant Dave
Junior
Junior

Post by Deployant Dave »

Cracking macro shots, Richtel.