Disappointed with Christopher Ward

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
dsb18
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 4

Disappointed with Christopher Ward

Post by dsb18 »

In 2016 I purchased a Trident Pro and loved it, I already had a number of high end watches, Omega, Tag but thought the build quality of the Trident was up there with them. I purchased an older CW watch off Ebay and although rougher around the edges, I was happy with it, I also talked a college into buying the Hurricane limited edition .
In the CW sale at Christmas I saw a Grand Malvern Jump hour and because I needed a new dress watch I purchased it. When it arrived it look very nice and was well made, I wore it to an evening dinner that lasted just under 4 hours. At the end of the night I realised that because of my ageing eyes I could not see the hour window without reading glasses and because I could not read the time, a fundamental of any watch, I decided to take advantage of their 60 day return, it was also loosing about 5 mins a day.
I requested a return package and sent the watch back, I received an email saying the watch was scratched which I disputed because I am very careful with all my watches. I asked for them to send me proof so I could assess if this had been done by me or after dispatch. I was not sent anything then an email was sent stating they would refund me for the watch but only 70% of what I had paid.
I questioned the large amount and was told
"The watch needs to be box, pristine unworn condition hence why the partial refund.
You cannot wear the watch for 4 hours then send back for a full refund, as the website states the watch needs to be unworn to proceed with a full refund."

I was quite furious by now and told them to send me the 70% and I was selling my other watches as I no longer support them as a company.
I then received the reply,
"I have double checked with my manager to re assess this watch, and he has advised no to a refund, as you have worn the watch for 4 hours, the watch needs to be unworn condition for a refund."
This is just a warning, if you think you may use the 60 day (peace of mind) return policy, DO NOT WEAR IT !!!
Imagine buying clothing from other companies over the web and not being able to try them on.
RANT OVER
David
Bremont MBIII, C65 Aquitaine, C63 Colchester, C63 Sealander (White and Green), Oris Diver, Omerga Seamaster 300
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Disappointed with Christopher Ward

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

welcome to the forum :wave: and sorry that you have come here with CW under a cloud.
dsb18 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:17 pm . . . . . ..
I was quite furious by now and told them to send me the 70% and I was selling my other watches as I no longer support them as a company.
I then received the reply,
"I have double checked with my manager to re assess this watch, and he has advised no to a refund, as you have worn the watch for 4 hours, the watch needs to be unworn condition for a refund."
. . . .. .. .
Your sentences seem to be contradictory, as the second one implies you did not receive your, 70%, refund.

Did you get your 70% refund or did CW return the watch to you?

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
dsb18
Junior
Junior

Post by dsb18 »

No they are returning it, all very confusing but lessons learned. I actually still like the watch just cannot use it to tell the time.
David
Bremont MBIII, C65 Aquitaine, C63 Colchester, C63 Sealander (White and Green), Oris Diver, Omerga Seamaster 300
Clach77
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Clach77 »

dsb18 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:17 pm This is just a warning, if you think you may use the 60 day (peace of mind) return policy, DO NOT WEAR IT !!!
Imagine buying clothing from other companies over the web and not being able to try them on.
RANT OVER
Imagine buying clothes over the internet, wearing them for a night out, then sending them back for a refund. I’d suggest that’s quite different from ‘trying them on’.

I’m confident that Christopher Ward have met the terms of the 60 day returns policy. Unfortunate for you I know.
Trying not to buy any more watches...
dsb18
Junior
Junior

Post by dsb18 »

Hi Guy
No they are returning it, just have to put it down as a lesson learned. I actually still like the watch, I will have to wear it as a bracelet and use my phone for the time. I was too honest in my return reason and should have not told them I had worn it, I should have said I opened the boxed and looked at it from a distance, maybe then I would have got a refund :(

Dave
David
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neilj568 »

Clach77 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:40 pm
dsb18 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:17 pm This is just a warning, if you think you may use the 60 day (peace of mind) return policy, DO NOT WEAR IT !!!
RANT OVER
Imagine buying clothes over the internet, wearing them for a night out, then sending them back for a refund. I’d suggest that’s quite different from ‘trying them on’.

I’m confident that Christopher Ward have met the terms of the 60 day returns policy. Unfortunate for you I know.
I'm sure people will do this....but to the main question - I am with CW on this one as surely the point of the (very generous) 60 day period is to allow people to buy in the sales, post them up on ebay and return if they fail to sell... :)
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

I'm pretty sure they've tightened up the 60 days return option over the years.
dsb18
Junior
Junior

Post by dsb18 »

atnits wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:03 pm I'm pretty sure they've tightened up the 60 days return option over the years.
I'm sure they have, but I question the need to advertise the 60 days to return an item if you are not allowed to wear it at all, surely a 14 day return would suffice if you have to make a decision on first glance, but then again its not such a selling headline.
David
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

You've worn it, so it's now a used watch. Given they discount Nearly New by up to 50% I'd say a 70% refund was quite generous given the circumstances. The 60/60 is well documented, like you say, and the only way to get a full refund would have been to lie about wearing it.

I'm curious why this makes you disappointed with CW?
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

It is quite clear on their website that the watch must be in perfect, unworn condition to be returned under 60/60. I returned one watch to them last year under 60/60 and clarified with them via phone that you are able to try the watch on your wrist for a Short period of time so long as it is still in "unworn condition." I would think they are definitely within their rights to refuse the full refund if you wore it for 4 hours outside of your home. I think they were actually being quite liberal in their policy by initially offering a 70% partial refund for a worn and scratched watch as there is nothing in their written policy that states they have to do that.

My understanding of the policy is that if I receive a watch that I think I might possibly want to return, I can handle it, look at it, carefully try to on the wrist as long as I don't cause any signs of wear. If I had any doubt I might want to return the watch, I definitely would not wear it for any extended period of time outside of my home.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 10.02.42 AM.png
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Bounce
Guru
Guru

Post by Bounce »

I am afraid my answer would be if it is losing 5 mins a day & it is new you should be offered a refund or replacement watch, forget the fact that you have worn it for 4 hours, that is a different point, the fact is It is not fit for purpose out of the box!
I am normally a big supporter of CW customer services, but in this instance I think common sense should have prevailed.
Panerai Luminor GMT.
Omega Speedmaster Professional.
Tudor Pepsi GMT.
Tudor Harrods BB
Bremont ALT1 World Timer
C60 Trident MK3 GMT.
C60 Trident MK3 Tide.
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

I just noticed that you said in your initial post that you purchased this watch in the Christmas sale. I'm curious as to why you have waited until April 2nd to make your first post on this group a complaint about Christopher Ward. We've seen a lot of people join this group recently only to complain in their first post, then disappear. This is a great group to discuss CW and other brand watches, and the members are always welcoming to people who want to join to interact with the community.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

The watch should be "in perfect, unworn condition". I reckon I could wear a watch for 4 hours and, provided I were careful, it would still be in perfect, unworn condition.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

So, before sending it back, did you don your reading spectaculars and give it a thorough inspection, to be able to categorically say that you hadn’t scratched it?

Simply stating that you are careful, doesn’t mean that you won’t have unknowingly scratched it.

If you hadn’t stated that you’d worn it and it arrived back to them scratched, they would have still denied you a full refund. The scratch is the issue here I fear! I don’t imagine for a second, that they’ve made that bit up.

By your own admission, you don’t have 20/20 vision!

Welcome to the Forum by the way.

Just as an aside, why do peeps sell off watches they previously liked just because they have a spat with the maker? Surely that’s cutting off your snout to spite yer fizzog? ...is it meant to “teach ‘em a lesson?”
Steve.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Bounce wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:18 pm I am afraid my answer would be if it is losing 5 mins a day & it is new you should be offered a refund or replacement watch, forget the fact that you have worn it for 4 hours, that is a different point, the fact is It is not fit for purpose out of the box!
I am normally a big supporter of CW customer services, but in this instance I think common sense should have prevailed.
Agreed. The watch is not fit for purpose.

The did you, didn’t you wear, or scratch it is irrelevant.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK