C65 GMT vs Automatic Bezel

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
diciannove79
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 0

C65 GMT vs Automatic Bezel

Post by diciannove79 »

Hi everyone! I'm new here and looking to purchase my first CW. I'm leaning toward the C65 Trident Automatic, but my only hesitation is the colored aluminum bezel. Have any of you had any issues with scratching? I'm almost tempted to get the C65 GMT instead due to the non-colored bezel, but in reality, I don't honestly think I need the GMT complication.

Sorry for the newbie question! This is going to be my first real watch purchase, so I want to make the most informed decision that I can. Though I suspect that I won't be disappointed (whichever model I decide to get). :D

Thanks in advance for all your help!
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: C65 GMT vs Automatic Bezel

Post by nbg »

Whilst I don’t have a C65, I do have a few watches, both CW and other brands, that have aluminium bezel inserts.

None of them have scratches and a couple of the watches are regularly worn.

I would go with the model that you prefer, as in practical terms you are unlikely to scratch an aluminium bezel in normal wear, unless you are particularly clumsy or wear the watch whilst doing DIY.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

I was in the same boat, and couldn't get to CW HQ to view, so ordered both on the basis that one will go back under the 60/60 guarantee.
When they arrived it was an easy choice for me - so the C65 Automatic is going back and the GMT is staying!
Happy so far, with accuracy of -2sec per day.
Bounce
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Bounce »

Welcome, I have owned quite a number of Aluminium bezelled watches & they are really quite hard to scratch.
I would go with the one you prefer & remember a bezel insert can always be changed if you do damage it.
Panerai Luminor GMT.
Omega Speedmaster Professional.
Tudor Pepsi GMT.
Tudor Harrods BB
Bremont ALT1 World Timer
C60 Trident MK3 GMT.
C60 Trident MK3 Tide.
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

Welcome!
Don’t worry about the newbie question, we all have to start somewhere and, compared to some first posts we get here, yours is a very thoughtful contribution.

I currently own the C65 Trident GMT with the steel bezel as well as both auto and manual versions of the C65 Trident Divers with aluminium bezels. I also own a Sinn 104 that has an aluminium bezel and, in the past, I have also had Seamasters with the same bezel material.

Like you I did have reservations about the “soft” aluminium of the C65 divers before I bought them. In fact, before the release of the auto version I did post that the bezel material was one of the things making me hesitate over buying it. However, intelligent and observant forum members came to the rescue and pointed out that the relative thinness of the bezel, and the fact that the box sapphire crystal stands proud of it, means that the bezel has significant protection in the inherent design of the watch’s profile. Looking at them, it will be extremely hard for a scuff against and everyday object to actually contact the bezel, let alone mark it.

I have worn both manual and auto C65s in regular rotation since buying them and both bezels are prestine still. Likewise, so is the bezel on my Sinn, but that seems to get less wrist time at the moment. On the other hand, my Seamaster bezel did mark up a bit, but this was after nearly eight years of daily use.

I would certainly recommend any of the C65 Trident range, aluminium or steel bezel. They are great watches, well designed, practical and functional and the materials chosen seem to be more than up to the demands of everyday life.

Hope this helps,

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

Just to add a thousand words to an image...

This is a side profile of my C65 Trident Diver Auto
291ACD18-9F4B-453E-9F51-11D6140B99B4.jpeg
89B38054-E1A7-479A-9D17-B18B318F43BE.jpeg
As you can see, the sapphire crystal has at least 1mm extra height above the bezel. Add to that the thin profile of the bezel insert and the steel knuckling around the outside, and I think you’d agree that the aluminium insert is pretty well protected.

Time will tell though. All these models are still relatively new and I doubt we will see any regular wear/damage patterns for some time yet. However, my money is still in them holding up better than most of the rest out there,

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
diciannove79
Junior
Junior

Post by diciannove79 »

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the experience and knowledge. Also, thanks for being so friendly and welcoming. I get a good sense from this community (as well as the CW brand), and am looking forward to getting one soon.

Oh, and now I saw on Instagram that CW might be releasing a C65 with a white dial this year! I might have to wait to see that model.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Firstly, Welcome! Secondly, I'll echo most of the above. Go with the one that you like the best. Aluminium bezels don't scratch as easily as a lot of people would have you believe. Tudor use aluminium on their Black Bays, so that pretty much says they are OK. I have a Black Bay, now 4 years old, without the slightest hint of a mark on the aluminium bezel (I generally don't baby my watches either). Some people also prefer the look of an aluminium bezel (I'm one of them). At the end of the day both of the watches that you are looking at are fantastic pieces and a great buy for your first 'real watch', so buy the one that you prefer the look of and enjoy it.

Oh, and just a 'word of warning' - stick around here and it will be the first of many purchases. Being an active member of this forum aint cheap! There are some people on here that will spend your money for you without you even realising! Before you know it you'll be asking about watch boxes to keep them all in, wondering where it all went wrong, and asking advice on how to justify your purchases to SWMBO :lol:

You have been warned, it's pretty high up there at the top of that slope you are about to start slipping down :lol:
jig18

Post by jig18 »

gmt all the way!
oneofmany

Post by oneofmany »

Just as a clarification, the GMT bezel is unidirectional just like the other dive watches?
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

oneofmany wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:12 pm Just as a clarification, the GMT bezel is unidirectional just like the other dive watches?
Yes; from CW's description of the C65 GMT;-

"Unidirectional stainless steel 24hr bezel"

Guy
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-04-05 C65 Trident GMT.png
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
oneofmany

Post by oneofmany »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:17 pm
oneofmany wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:12 pm Just as a clarification, the GMT bezel is unidirectional just like the other dive watches?
Yes; from CW's description of the C65 GMT;-

"Unidirectional stainless steel 24hr bezel"

Guy
Thank you! I've been searching for how many clicks are in the bezel, 60 vs 120 would make a big difference for the GMT. Does anyone here know?
diciannove79
Junior
Junior

Post by diciannove79 »

oneofmany wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:00 am Thank you! I've been searching for how many clicks are in the bezel, 60 vs 120 would make a big difference for the GMT. Does anyone here know?
I believe the C65 GMT is 120 clicks. At least that's what I saw on this YouTube review: https://youtu.be/9s8W7QiRIl4?t=279
rmflynn

Post by rmflynn »

FWIW I had a C60 w/ the black bezel for 5 years... only one very small scratch on it. I remember (and regret) the stupid smash against the door frame that did it. Don't let it deter you, the bezel is beautiful!
nauf
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 7

Post by nauf »

Welcome!

I own both C65 models, Automatic and GMT. All I can say is that they are great watches. The bezels are not easily scratched since they have got protection from the raised sapphire crystal glass. Go for the one that you love to wear the most, in this case, you prefer an automatic version. My automatic model is in blue dial and bezel but the black one looks much better. It blends with rodium vintage lume really well.