25-Day Journey

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
TP Fit
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

25-Day Journey

Post by TP Fit »

Thought this post might interest those that have their eye on the new C65 Trident Automatic. The review below, from Fratello Magazine, follows the reviewer on his travels for 25 days with the C65 Trident Automatic. It's a watch i will personally get but waiting for the new iteration of the C60 Trident to make a final decision on which one I get first. The review includes numerous pictures of the watch that really shows all the characteristics of the watch. Enjo....

https://www.fratellowatches.com/christo ... 5-trident/

TP Fit
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Re: 25-Day Journey

Post by richtel »

Thanks for sharing that review. I had to double check- the review states that the C65 auto has a push-pull crown and I could have sworn it was screw-down. After checking with the CW sales page, sure enough it's push pull.... Just when you thought you knew all about a manufacturer's range it appears I don't!
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: I enjoyed the review. Now I'm waiting for the inevitable... Beer and popcorn in hand :D :D :wave:
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

A good review.
Personally I wouldn’t go swimming or holiday in a very humid environment with a leather strap.
I would wear it on the bracelet.
Enjoyed the read thanks. :thumbup:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Thanks for posting the link to the review.

Overall it was fairly positive, his main two gripes were the logo placement which he concluded would put him off the watch and secondly, the condition of the vintage oak leather strap particularly after swimming.

I must take issue with that second point. Unless the strap is stated to be waterproof (which I don't believe these are) then you would have to be completely stupid to swim in it and expect it not to deteriorate....or is that just me :ka:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

A decently written review but I don’t think it comes out as particularly positive for the watch.

He deals with the name logo position at 9 quite well I think, stating his initial standing as a negative (reflecting my own view) but willing to see how he feels after 25 days. At the end though he feels the same about it and overall that again reflects how I would feel – I just can’t get past the 9 o’clock position.

Similarly for the shade of blue used.

His conclusion that it’s a “very adequate” watch at the price level wouldn’t encourage me to buy it. “Adequate” is not a positive word to me and I’m still trying to work out if “very” stuck in front of it makes it better or worse.

The C65 range is IMO a huge step forward for CW in design and looks and hopefully in quality also. I like the size, how it looks and feels on the wrist and (lack of) thickness but a C65 that I would go out and buy isn’t in the range – I remain hopeful though for the near future before I allocate my budget to something else.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

The specifics of his review aside, I didn’t find that to be a particularly well written piece. It’s in need of some serious editing.
Drew
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

A few errors in the article, however that said I agree with the conclusion.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:45 pm The specifics of his review aside, I didn’t find that to be a particularly well written piece. It’s in need of some serious editing.
I admire the fact he can write so well in what is his 2nd language. I think it add's a nice quirkiness to such articles. Just a personal view (it's quite common over here).

So he likes the way the watch performed, but is not so keen on the aesthetics and hates the logo. Shouldn't bother CW too much, he's not in the age range they now claim to be targeting. Maybe all the oldies should stop buying CW and then they would be happy?

The strap comment seems bizarre to me.

I wonder if CW feel they got their monies worth?
'Tis me
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Caller wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:50 pm
jkbarnes wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:45 pm The specifics of his review aside, I didn’t find that to be a particularly well written piece. It’s in need of some serious editing.
I admire the fact he can write so well in what is his 2nd language. I think it add's a nice quirkiness to such articles. Just a personal view (it's quite common over here).

So he likes the way the watch performed, but is not so keen on the aesthetics and hates the logo. Shouldn't bother CW too much, he's not in the age range they now claim to be targeting. Maybe all the oldies should stop buying CW and then they would be happy?

The strap comment seems bizarre to me.

I wonder if CW feel they got their monies worth?
Could anybody tell me why it's thought that it's only "oldies" that don't buy the CW watches with the new layout? Bit of a derogatory age-ist comment IMO.
Why is design applicable to age? It's not my age that prevents me from liking the layout and therefore not buying CW watches.
I would imagine that anybody of any age that doesn't like the present layout have already stopped buying CW watches but not necessarily be happy about doing so. I'd would love to be in a quandary about which of several CW watches I would want to buy.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Caller wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:50 pm I admire the fact he can write so well in what is his 2nd language. I think it add's a nice quirkiness to such articles. Just a personal view (it's quite common over here).
I didn’t realize it was his second language! I actually thought to myself that it reads like someone who isn’t a native speaker. Now I know why.

Thanks for clarifying that for me.
Drew
hsukirk
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by hsukirk »

Good to see reviewers spent 25 days to live with the watch. There are far too many just took what's already there either from manufacturers or internet to voice their opinions.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

This could be my second career when I retire! :D

Anyone like to pay me loads of money to travel around the world wearing nice watches and writing about them?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
EddieTheBeast
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by EddieTheBeast »

I've just read this review as this watch is on my 'possibly buy' list! I think it's an excellent review and agree with the negatives: The logo at 9 is very off-putting, but I have a C60 that also suffers the same problem - and decided I still liked the watch enough to keep it (but only just!!)! A leather strap could be put on this diver watch that is waterproof, as this would allow it to be kept on for swimming etc. Also I agree that the 22mm lug width is too big for this 41mm retro style watch! 20mm would be perfect!

On the positive side the watch looks great in the photos and I love the blue dial and bezel, the reviewed watch had very good accuracy and I definitely think CW have the sizes spot on (apart from the lug width)! Let's hope that CW listen to this reviewer that they gave the watch to! If the watch could have one of the old logos at 12, 20mm lug width and a 20mm waterproof leather strap or such, I think it would be hard for me to resist!!
Dean
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

EddieTheBeast wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:24 pm I've just read this review as this watch is on my 'possibly buy' list! I think it's an excellent review and agree with the negatives: The logo at 9 is very off-putting, but I have a C60 that also suffers the same problem - and decided I still liked the watch enough to keep it (but only just!!)! A leather strap could be put on this diver watch that is waterproof, as this would allow it to be kept on for swimming etc. Also I agree that the 22mm lug width is too big for this 41mm retro style watch! 20mm would be perfect!

On the positive side the watch looks great in the photos and I love the blue dial and bezel, the reviewed watch had very good accuracy and I definitely think CW have the sizes spot on (apart from the lug width)! Let's hope that CW listen to this reviewer that they gave the watch to! If the watch could have one of the old logos at 12, 20mm lug width and a 20mm waterproof leather strap or such, I think it would be hard for me to resist!!
Strange/Weird/Ironic that CW should go to the effort of making a "retro" style watch with "vintage" colour marker and hands and then use a very modern font, justification and location for the name logo.
The old logo is never going to be used but just swap the double flag and name positions please so I can buy and keep 1 of the C65 range.