No Day-Date?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
ninjagin
CW-watches: 0

No Day-Date?

Post by ninjagin »

Hiho!
It's been a long time since I've visited, but I just ordered my 5th CW today and figured that I'd check back in.
I ended up with #5 because I had to send in my Lido SE for service & repair and figured I'd look around and see what I liked.
Naturally, this ended up with YAWP (Yet Another Watch Purchase). (Do NOT tell my girlfriend!)
So one thing I noticed is that there was precious little in the current lineup (only the Ferrari-red SE (sold out)) that had a day-date complication.
Actually, looking back, I don't remember it being terribly common.
Oh, sure, there are plenty of dates to be had, but not the day. One of the things that I love about my Lido is the day!
So I'm curious to know from others around here about how you feel about day complication in CW design, like and dislike, and to see if there's anyone else out there that feels, as I do, that the day complication is desirable.
(I'll note, by the way, that day complications are localization items (what language to pick?) and I get it.)
I have Arabic, German, French, Spanish and Russian examples from other brands, and there are Waaay many more, but I'm unafraid of them.
Looking to hear your opinions.
Many thanks in advance.
== Randall
Sinn 356 & 656, 3 Fortis' in Lemania, Valjoux & ETA, O&W in AS, ETA & UNITAS, 2 Tutimas in Lemania 5100, ... and my CWs.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: No Day-Date?

Post by Mikkei4 »

I'm with you. I'd like to have A DAY/DATE watch and have seen various Lido's and thought they would suit perfectly. I looked at the present CW range but I think the only one was a C7 which wasn't really my style.

I've looked at some Longines which are nice but not quite what I want.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Just had a quick think about what watches I have/had. Only three with day/date - a couple of Seiko and the C20 Lido.

On the basis of the above that means I don’t think the day/date complication is of any particular benefit - to me. None of the three were bought because of the day/date, more in spite of.

I would though like to have a nice complete or annual calendar, but I would be buying it because of the aesthetic, not because it tells me anything I don’t already know.

To me a typical day/date positioned at 3 doesn’t look very good. I guess that’s why I generally prefer watches with no date or just a date.

I am sure we all have a list of watch design likes and dislikes. :)
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

I may have already posted about this in another spot so if you have already heard this story bear with me. I work a graveyard shift, 7pm to 7am from Wednesday evening till Wednesday morn. Let me tell you by 4am some times I have no idea what day it is LOL. Consequently I love the day date. I wear an Oris F1 with the day date at 6. I recently picked up a C60 ACAN as well. So as for me, at work, the day/date is really appreciated. 3 or 6 o'clock? Either works for me, no frame if the wheels are the same as the face, as on the Oris. Nicely framed off white behind the blue face on the ACAN works for me as well.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

I prefer Day/Date in my ‘daily drivers’. Don’t bother too much for the watches I wear in evenings, days off (when I get one), etc..
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

I too like day-date, eg I think particularly "adventure" (including divers) or field watches should have it. Once one has been a few days off grid, who the hell knows what day it is?

One can argue that pilot or GMT watches should have it too when one is traversing time zones - reassuring.

Currently I have three Seikos that have day date, a C9 BDD and a quantieme (full calendar) pocket watch. There will be more.

The aesthetic must be right and I agree that dressier (evening) watches don't need.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
ninjagin

Post by ninjagin »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:38 pm I'm with you. I'd like to have A DAY/DATE watch ...
Aaah! I'm not alone!
Thanks, brother/sister!
== R
Sinn 356 & 656, 3 Fortis' in Lemania, Valjoux & ETA, O&W in AS, ETA & UNITAS, 2 Tutimas in Lemania 5100, ... and my CWs.
ninjagin

Post by ninjagin »

nbg wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:02 pm... I don’t think the day/date complication is of any particular benefit - to me... I would though like to have a nice complete or annual calendar, but I would be buying it because of the aesthetic, not because it tells me anything I don’t already know. To me a typical day/date positioned at 3 doesn’t look very good. I guess that’s why I generally prefer watches with no date or just a date.
This is a very thoughtful reply. Is there an aesthetic for a day (er date?) complication that you find more pleasing, even if you don't like a day complication generally?

For instance:
Framed with a box?
Framed separately from date?
Day rides the up, at 12?
Date at 6?
Background same color as dial or contrasting?

You refer to positioning as making a difference in aesthetic, so I'm curious about the cases where a day placement appeals more than not.
Many thanks!
== R
ninjagin

Post by ninjagin »

TigerChris wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:07 pm I prefer Day/Date in my ‘daily drivers’. Don’t bother too much for the watches I wear in evenings, days off (when I get one), etc..
Utility is an important distinction that I hadn't thought about.
This is interesting.
== R
ninjagin

Post by ninjagin »

H0rati0 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:35 am I too like day-date, eg I think particularly "adventure" (including divers) or field watches should have it. Once one has been a few days off grid, who the hell knows what day it is?

One can argue that pilot or GMT watches should have it too when one is traversing time zones - reassuring.

Currently I have three Seikos that have day date, a C9 BDD and a quantieme (full calendar) pocket watch. There will be more.

The aesthetic must be right and I agree that dressier (evening) watches don't need.
I guess I don't think of GMT in the same way, but you're right.
I have been trolling in cheapos (timex & orient) lately, but I find that in almost any style I'm looking for a day-date option.
It's not always easy to pull off, design-wise, either.
It seems that I'm the weird one, but it was one of the main things I was looking for in the current CW offerings.

Thanks for chiming in.
== R
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I quite like the day complication. A Rolex day date would be nice but price puts me off a little (a lot) so I bought an alternative that was a bit more wallet friendly.

For me it’s more about the aesthetic rather than function.

I also bought my son a Seiko with day date and he likes that watch a lot.
5E64115B-B6A5-4AA2-B388-AD6BBCA2E8A2.jpeg
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

ninjagin wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:30 am
I have been trolling in cheapos (timex & orient) lately, but I find that in almost any style I'm looking for a day-date option.
It's not always easy to pull off, design-wise, either.
It seems that I'm the weird one, but it was one of the main things I was looking for in the current CW offerings.

Thanks for chiming in.
== R
Not a current model but they come up for sale fairly regularly, check out the C9 BDDs in the reference gallery. I like the simple design emphasising day-date and the practicality even though it's dressy. And the day and date change instantly at midnight - cool.
IMG_0458.jpg
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
ninjagin

Post by ninjagin »

Not a current model but they come up for sale fairly regularly, check out the C9 BDDs in the reference gallery. I like the simple design emphasising day-date and the practicality even though it's dressy. And the day and date change instantly at midnight - cool.
That's lovely. I shall keep my eyes open, certainly ... or at least until I get my Lido back. -=wink=-
== R
ninjagin

Post by ninjagin »

Thegreyman wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:12 am I quite like the day complication. A Rolex day date would be nice but price puts me off a little (a lot) so I bought an alternative that was a bit more wallet friendly.

For me it’s more about the aesthetic rather than function.

I also bought my son a Seiko with day date and he likes that watch a lot.
Aye, Hamilton does a great job with day-date. Super legible, symmetrical. I prefer that design over the way the numbers get eaten on the Khaki King. Love that choice.
== R
Chris375
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 15

Post by Chris375 »

Did you see the Patek Philippe Calatrava Weekly Calendar 5212A watch unveiled at Baselworld recently? Obviously it will be quite expensive (as per most PP's) but would like something similar with all the complications,though for me you could get rid of the weekly complication.
A lot of people might not like it as it has a very 'busy' face but then again so do a number of GMT watches out there can look busy and cluttered in my opinion.
Cheers,
Chris
10xCW, 3xBremont, 2xTag Heuer, 6xOmega, 1xHamilton, 1xSeiko