Monta Oceanking arrived today

A place to discuss other watch-brands
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: Monta Oceanking arrived today

Post by timor54 »

Looks very nice, always good to see real life quality photos to get a proper impression of it.

I like the dial, nicely balanced with the date at 6 and the date window is nicely finished as well. Goods hands IMO, chunky but not oversized.

Just had a look at their website. Some good customisation options, particularly like the steel bezel/wet blue dial. Also the Skyquest GMT looks very nice as well with a sensible sized GMT pointer...

However, a bit expensive - particularly this side of the pond with sales taxes/customs charges to be added :?
Tim
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

timor54 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:06 pm Looks very nice, always good to see real life quality photos to get a proper impression of it.

I like the dial, nicely balanced with the date at 6 and the date window is nicely finished as well. Goods hands IMO, chunky but not oversized.

Just had a look at their website. Some good customisation options, particularly like the steel bezel/wet blue dial. Also the Skyquest GMT looks very nice as well with a sensible sized GMT pointer...

However, a bit expensive - particularly this side of the pond with sales taxes/customs charges to be added :?
Yeah, I'm not sure how much UK sales tax and import charges would be, but it would suck if it adds a significant amount to the cost of the watch.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

mvlow wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:08 pm ...

Yeah, I'm not sure how much UK sales tax and import charges would be, but it would suck if it adds a significant amount to the cost of the watch.
20% VAT (sales tax) plus a small amount for customs handling. So you’re looking at something in the order of an extra $400 :(
Tim
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

timor54 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:36 pm

20% VAT (sales tax) plus a small amount for customs handling. So you’re looking at something in the order of an extra $400 :(
Rough, ready reckoner way of approaching it, is to think of the US dollar price as the price in Pounds sterling (exchange rate takes it down, 20% VAT takes it back up).

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
TG3N
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by TG3N »

Congratulations, that's a lovely watch (and excellent photos).

I'm on record here as saying I immediately appreciated the quality, design & care Monta put into their watches, and that I'd get one someday.

Well, I picked-up a second-hand 1st Gen Monta Oceanking about six months ago and I love it. I got it at 11-months old for an absolute bargain.

It is one of the first 100 they made, which came with a special package: limited-edition orange 'Everest' rubber strap (those sell for £160 on their own); complimentary 'movement tuning' (whatever that means) within two years & extended four year warranty.

I have no qualms whatsover in saying that it is - at least - the equal of my ETA Tudor Black Bay, and superior in several areas to my Rolex Submariner 114060 (though the Submariner is the superior watch overall).

At 40mm wide, 49mm lug-to-lug, 13.8mm thick, and with 20mm bracelet tapering to 16mm, it's pretty-much in my sweet-spot re size.

The bracelet is superb - polished chamfers run above (and below) each link, so that it's smooth on wrist; the links are fully-articulating (they can be folded right back & stacked vertically on top of each other) which equates to a supple & conforming fit on wrist; the end-links fit snugly to the case and are actually two-part (if you see what I mean), so instead of jutting out straight from the case, the first link drops nicely down around the side of the wrist (crucial for those of medium-small wrist size); and the screwed pins are a doddle to adjust. The clasp is good & beautifully made, but there's no doubt the no-tools micro-adjust on the 2nd Gen is an improvement there again.

Fine finishing on a tool/dive watch is not everyone's cup of tea, but the beauty is something that really elevates the watch, and adds visiual appeal from every angle. The polishing is really excellent, with chamfers on the case, lugs (both inner & outer - quite like Grand Seiko do), bracelet (both sides) & clasp - there’s not an ugly sharp edge anywhere to be found, it feels lovely in hand, a thing of real quality. The 1st Gen lacks crown guards, something they reinstated on the 2nd Gen, but I like the vintage, unusual look of the onion crown (beautifully crafted, like the rest) on it's own, and it also slims the watch size down to the eye. The crown is also recessed slightly into a hollow on the side of the case - a nice little effort to offer some protection in the absence of guards.

The diamond-cut hands & indices are almost as good as my Grand Seiko (but not quite) - super sharp, and faceted to both better reflect light (massively aiding legibility) & also add aesthetic appeal. Finally, they're plated with Rhodium (a more expensive cousin of Platinum) so they have a beautiful lustre quite apart from stainless steel. Monta have also produced an unusual 'waterfall' effect with their indices - the lume looks almost to flow over the edge of the indice and down to reach the dial. Their markers caused a lot of hassle for their manufacturer. The hand supplier is Swiss, by the way, as are all of the suppliers to the watch - this is not a cheaply-made piece. Also fun is the way the rehaut has cut-outs for around the markers - again, a small detail which adds cost & complexity, but also interest.

The 60-click bezel is subject to several patents - it is engineered so that the dial markers always align with the bezel markings, and the ceramic is held in by friction, not just glued. It has a very authoritative 'clicky' motion that exudes quality & solidity, with zero backplay. Pushed on it, I'd still say I personally prefer the bezel action of my Black Bay & Submariner, but those really are 'best in class'. The 2nd Gen adds a lume pip (a glaring omission on mine) as well as lumed markings, but this aspect doesn't bother me - I neither dive nor time things in the dark (ooh er...!).

The sapphire crystal has a pronounced double-dome, which adds height to what is quite a squat watch head, but as with my Speedmaster, I always feel that a crystal is a 'false' height, if that makes sense - yes, it's physically there alright, but it looks slimmer than it is, because the crystal is transparent. The way the angle of domed crystal meets the ceramic bezel and then seamlessly continues it's sloped fall over the angled bezel is a thing of subtle joy. It has 7 layers of AR coating on the interior. The 2nd Gen has a flat crystal which improves the dimensions, but at the loss of charm, for me.

The Eterna 3909A movement is a bit different to what you see every day, and with a terrific 65-hour power reserve. Monta aslo say they hand-regulate each to Chronometer spec (though it is not COSC qualified), and having thrown it on my Timegrapher machine, I can vouch that it is running in exemplary fashion. The 2nd Gen's Sellita movement will be cheaper & easier to service, and based on the 2892 (I think), it is of excellent quality.

I'm sorry to have hijacked your thread a bit (just started waffling and couldn't stop), but I thought you might appreciate the input of a fellow owner, and I deem it worthwhile adding to your excellent testament, because I think many see the price from a micro-brand and immediately consider it overpriced, which it is not (to my mind anyway).

I hope you continue to enjoy your watch and the glow of new ownership never fades.
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

TG3N wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:19 pm Congratulations, that's a lovely watch (and excellent photos).

I'm sorry to have hijacked your thread a bit (just started waffling and couldn't stop), but I thought you might appreciate the input of a fellow owner, and I deem it worthwhile adding to your excellent testament, because I think many see the price from a micro-brand and immediately consider it overpriced, which it is not (to my mind anyway).

I hope you continue to enjoy your watch and the glow of new ownership never fades.
Thanks. Great write up and images of your Gen 1. Doing some research definitely pays off. Up until a few weeks ago I had never heard of Monta, but now I own one and have an appreciation for the level of craftsmanship in their watches. It was initially a difficult decision for me to spend that much on a micro-brand, but have no regrets now I have it in hand. What is interesting is I find that each day I notice refinement above and beyond the other watches I own. There are just so many little details they get right.

The owners of Monta are currently in Basel. It will be interesting to see what new models they announce next week at Baselworld.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:57 pm
timor54 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:36 pm

Rough, ready reckoner way of approaching it, is to think of the US dollar price as the price in Pounds sterling (exchange rate takes it down, 20% VAT takes it back up).

Guy
I really like the look of these watches and the quality would appear to be very good from the reports. However around £1950/£2000 for a watch from a lesser known brand with 2 year warranty doesn't make it a sensible choice for me in the UK. For about £400 more I could get a discounted outgoing Omega Seamaster with 5 year warranty.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^^ I would pick the Monta over the outgoing Seamaster any day of the week!

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

FYI, There’s a 1st gen. Oceanking in the UK on ebay.co.uk (I’ve no interest or involvement in this listing...)
Tim
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

nbg wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:27 pm ^^^^ I would pick the Monta over the outgoing Seamaster any day of the week!

Neil
That's just a matter of personal choice by both of us.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:50 pm
nbg wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:27 pm ^^^^ I would pick the Monta over the outgoing Seamaster any day of the week!

Neil
That's just a matter of personal choice by both of us.
Yes of course it is! I would be buying it as something different to the usual suspects, because as far as the major brands are concerned, I already have a clear pecking order and preference of the popular models of each style.

That’s why I didn’t say in my view “X is a better quality/value watch than Y”.

I only say that when I have actually handled or owned the watches that I am comparing. The good thing is that based on the watches I have handled and or own I am able to say “in my opinion X is better quality/value than Y” on most of the decent brands in ADs. :)

Folk may disagree with that view, but at least it will be based on a rational hands on assessment of the watches under review, rather than irrational dislike of the quality/value of certain watches without having ever seen them in the flesh! :D

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

I don't think that making a consideration of value without actually handling something is irrational. It's neither more correct nor more wrong than any other way of somebody judging whether something is worth buying.

If the Monta didn't attract 20% VAT, wasn't based in USA and had more years of warranty I would seriously consider buying it as I really like the look of it. However those 3 points take it beyond my internal value considerations.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

Lovely watch :thumbup:
Worth checking out the aBlogtoWatch review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-1d59gx8C0
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

mvlow wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:40 am I received my first Monta watch, the Oceanking, in the mail today and am really impressed with the quality and design. I took a chance on this watch having not seen one in the flesh, but having seen some great reviews. I am not disappointed and think I am going to really enjoy this watch.

I took a few pictures to commemorate the occasion.
Wow... This is a gorgeous looking diver, with what looks like spectacular detailing and finishing. Just wondering if you've put up a review somewhere, looks like you've had it for a couple of months now. From the thread, I would say this watch would satisfy the requirements for someone looking for a 'one watch collection'? :D
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?