Crown Inquiry

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Sircal

Crown Inquiry

Post by Sircal »

Hey,

This is a basic question, but my Christopher Ward is my first manual watch and I don't want to bugger it up! I know that to wind the watch I turn the crown clockwise, but what about to set the time? The manual doesn't specify (where it does about the winding). Turning clockwise has the hands turning anticlockwise and vice versa. If someone here can help out a novice, I'd very much appreciate it. :)

Thanks,
Callum
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Re: Crown Inquiry

Post by albionphoto »

It is generally better to turn the hands clockwise to set the time.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

Try this, and if you have any queries on it, do come back and ask.
https://youtu.be/JP1K6LeD_xU
There's always time for one more.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Hi Callum, welcome to the forum. Generally speaking, you should always advance the hands clockwise, regardless of the fact that to do so may require turning the crown in the opposite direction to winding. Of course, somewhat paradoxically, it is also recommended (by the manufacturers) to adjust the time right at the end a couple of minutes backwards (hands anticlockwise) to set the backlash of the gear train and remove any slack from the movement. Otherwise the watch may take a moment or so catching up the gear train slack before the hands actually move (the second hand will move, but not the minute hand)

In other words, hands clockwise to a few minutes past the time you want, then hands anticlockwise back to the actual time. In practice, if the watch is only, say, half an hour ahead, I’ll usually just set it back, but any more than that I always go full forward, with just the little backstep at the end.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

Try these too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP1K6LeD_xU
or even
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMeBNUSi0PE
In the second video the bit of advice is between 5 and 6 mins.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

Welcome to the forum.

And importantly, if you’re setting the date, never do it when the hands are between 9pm and 3am because somewhere during that time the movement would be in the process to move the date wheel itself.

Some may say this first part is optional (though not for me!), as the second hand reaches exactly 60 .......
gently pull the crown to position 3, set the time to (say) 6 o’clock, push to position 2, move the date to the day before the current date, then back to position 3, move the hands forward to the flip the date wheel and set to the correct time + 1 minute, and return to position 1 (errr, as your time source reaches exactly 60 seconds!). Assuming your watch is automatic, give it a few manual winds and you are done.

Follow this method for all your automatic watches and you’ll understand why some of us have winders.

If you’re sitting there thinking “huh, all your automatic watches?”, a few months here and you’ll understand that too.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot