New Members!!

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: New Members!!

Post by TigerChris »

nbg wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:20 pm Oh just had a thought. Did all those who have contributed to this thread do a “member introduction” post as their first post, or in any subsequent post? :)

Neil
Yep, first post, it’s common courtesy.
TP Fit
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by TP Fit »

Nice post!

I am one of the new members that clarified I was just adding my experience and not complaining. Thanks for validating that with your latest post. As a new member, I can really appreciate everyone attempting to protect the forum and encouraging a friendly and respectful community. I fit into the category of new watch enthusiast and hopefully future collector that used the forum to learn about the CW watch brand, watches in general and new watches coming out. I didn't join until after a few months after I purchased my first watch in late December. I couldn't help but join since I felt connected with the community with my first purchase. I honestly not sure how involved I will be with posts, but I do enjoy the knowledge, the banter, and your appreciation for watches and your passions.

Unfortunately, I will be a new member after just a few short months of owning my first CW, that has to return my watch for repairs :( I have already become attached to my watch and absolutely love it! So this recent news is sad to me. What I have learned from the forum, is where there is tragedy, there is opportunity. Meaning, I may have to replace it in the interim with the new C65 auto i have been wanting so badly =) I am not by any means disappointed in CW, just disappointed i have to return it. It is too early for me to have any judgement in the matter. My focus is to believe in CW and allow them the opportunity to provide good service in the returns process.

TP Fit
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

There’s a certain irony to a post complaining and moaning about other people complaining and moaning.

I feel like this whole thread epitomizes people’s complaints about the forum coming off as unfriendly and cliquish to newbies.

As for a “new member” registering simply to post a complaint, never to be seen or heard from again, in my mind, that is not a new member at all. One and done is not a “new member” and there fore not worth bothering about.

This thread is enough for me to take a break from the forum for awhile...
Drew
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

It’s along time ago but I’m sure I did a introduction post :thumbup:
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

Yep, I did.
:thumbup:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

I didn't.
I suspect people have figured out whether I'm worth their time or not by now.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

TigerChris wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:48 pm Whether this gets deleted or not remains to be seen, but I'm gonna say it anyway. Am I the only one getting really fed up with new members signing up and creating a new topic just to have a moan?! . . . . .. .
Well; clearly Chris, your initial post has not been deleted and has provided a good basis for discussion. :thumbup:

Personal hat on;-

Mixed feelings here.

Yes; its irritating for a new member to (first) post a complaint about their watch or experiences with CW but then, where else can they go to 'get it off their chest'? If they subsequently stay and join in with discussions et al then I'm delighted, if not and they don't come back. C'est la vie.

On the other hand, we are all here to help each other and often we, forum members, can provide info to help solve a newbie's problem.

As to first post being a Member's Intro. Why?

Converse to some opinion, do you walk into a Pub and announce your life story or do you ease your way in listening, more than speaking, to get to know the regulars and, at appropriate times make the odd comment.

Have to admit, as I thought but have checked back to my initial posts of seven years ago to be sure, I didn't post in the Member's Intro. :oops: :oops:

Moderator's hat on;-

I feel the first five post check, to weed out spammers etc. is more than adequate and a first post to be Member's Intro is over-zealous.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

^^ I'm glad that it has provided a decent discussion, Guy. Everyone has different ways of looking at things. I've enjoyed reading all of the responses whether they agree with me or not. Thats what it should be about :thumbup:
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I did not make an introductory post either. Of course we did not have that section back in 2007.

I think I mostly agree with Guy here. I will admit that I would prefer introductory posts by most, as I feel it, and I could be wrong, that most tend to be more accepting of someone who takes the time to do so in this environment. That said, I do not hold it against anyone who does not.

As to the one and done posters with complaints......As much as they do irritate me, I get it. Most people do not take the time to research and do think they are speaking at CW when they post. I understand the venting, however I do fail to understand why people do not just contact CW directly when sometimes that is all they need to do.

Still, the one and done posters usually have, or have had, an issue. I think it proper that we address those as best we can. Perhaps if they see that we are helpful and care, we will win them over and they might stick around.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by johnnysharp2 »

I did the intro but it was my 8th post not the first (8th?), guess I was too busy waiting for my first CW watch, which I then sold....but I did hang around and bought 2 more, but erm I sold them too!

Still I then bought 5 more which I still have so guess you will just have to keep putting up with me.
Johnny
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Game To Love

Post by scooter »

My first post on this thread.

A few facts.

I joined on 4 November 2010.

I didn't do an introductory post.

My first post was on the 7 November seeking assistance about a possible purchase of a 2009 Corum Romulus Power Reserve watch.

It was a very courteous post and was viewed 1039 times.

Only one member responded and that was Monkey, a tennis coach (John). He was a great bloke but went AWOL on 7 January 2014.

As you were.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
tempus fugit
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by tempus fugit »

Tiger Chris, it's part of why I (mostly) stopped posting here. The Forum, too often, just became so negative with the bashing of CW, or with personal attacks, by people who weren't watch enthusiasts but saw the forum as some opportunity to take a pound of flesh. Often, rather ignorantly, in my opinion. And I got tired with responding to it. I remind myself, we were all new members once. They all deserve the warm welcome I got. But many of the members here I have grown to respect didn't start their time here by opening with a crass attack, and - moreover - took the time to introduce themselves. Nothing wrong with complaining, but like all interactions in life, it's the way you go about it that gives a glint as to the quality of your character.

That, and my own disenchantment with the direction of the brand's marketing/branding (but that's their choice not mine - I'm not opening old wounds), although I think the watches in the last two years are technically, functionally and aesthetically incredible.

(Finally, there's a member who is now active with the same moniker as me (not sure how that happened?), so I feel a bit like I've lost my identity.)

I still read posts often - I've become a lurker.
Alex
4x Omega, 3x CW, 1x Tudor, 1x Tag
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

I didn't do an introductory post. I don't care about new member introductions as they are pretty much all the same. First CW watch, have a few others watches or none at all, been a lurker and now decided to sign up, yada, yada yada. And the same people respond with the same content, often not really responding to the original post at all. Most CWF noobs post a few times and they are never seen again.

Just start posting as a new member and hopefully have some interesting to contribute. We're just some cryptic user names and avatars here and not real people anyways. The forum admin appears to be a dog with friends..!
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

nordwulf wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:26 pm I didn't do an introductory post. I don't care about new member introductions as they are pretty much all the same. First CW watch, have a few others watches or none at all, been a lurker and now decided to sign up, yada, yada yada. And the same people respond with the same content, often not really responding to the original post at all. Most CWF noobs post a few times and they are never seen again.

Just start posting as a new member and hopefully have some interesting to contribute. We're just some cryptic user names and avatars here and not real people anyways. The forum admin appears to be a dog with friends..!
"The forum admin appears to be a dog with friends..!" - maybe I'm being either naive or obtuse but I don't get your inference.

Please explain.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »