Smart Watch

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Rob s
Senior
Senior

Smart Watch

Post by Rob s »

Have just been looking at the new Samsung Galaxy Active. I often like the look and the features of the smart watches i see (Samsung S3 frontier is a particular favorite) but always think to make the most of them you need to wear it all the time and i cant bring myself to only have one watch.

Anyone on here wear a smart watch as a daily and have something nicer for occasions?
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Re: Smart Watch

Post by StrappedUp »

The only member who I can think of that regularly publicises the use of a smartwatch is Stefs.
He also has a couple of beaters that he uses on his days off from being smart.

I've toyed with the idea, but I'm around tech all day at work and like to switch off afterwards. I fear having a smart watch wouldn't allow that.
Ryan
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by biggus_richus »

I have a Garmin Fenix 3 and for a while it became my daily; I used to cycle to and from work and run occasionally at lunch time, so it was nice for gathering all sorts of training stats. I'm also on a health insurance policy which gives a couple of substantial weekly rewards for hitting steps and/or sustained heart rate goals, so it became a no-brainer to wear it all of the time.

It doesn't require charging as much as some, but it's huge and barely fits under most shirt cuffs. Eventually I got a smaller activity tracker to wear on my other wrist for logging steps only and I went back to wearing my watches (and buying a few more besides). The Garmin gets chucked in the bag if I want to go for a run at work and I guess if I resume cycling I'll wear it on the commute and keep a few watches at work rather than wear them on the bike.

As to the "smart" aspect - my Garmin synchs with my phone for notifications, but after a morning of my wrist buzzing I got annoyed and turned the feature off, never to be used again. I was excited about the ability to display custom watch faces, but the display is low resolution and not too bright, so the excitement was short lived.
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
josbrownlie
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by josbrownlie »

I've got a Garmin 235 which is more of a fitness than smart watch. I can't just wear it on its own except for when exercising and I can't wear it on my wrong wrist (right) with a nice watch on the normal left (#controversial - different discussion).
C9 x5, C60 x3, C65 x1, Steinhart x2, CIGA Design, Jean Marcel, WT Author, Breitling & MSTR
Ttf23
Guru
Guru

Post by Ttf23 »

I’ve got a Garmin vivoactive 3, which I use for cycling to and from the office. Then I take a decent watch in the very useful CW pod in my bag to change into at the office.

Works very well for me - no need to worry about bashing a decent watch when cycling, get notifications if someone is trying to get hold of me urgently when travelling, track my activity/fitness.
Independent buyer and seller of Christopher Ward and other watches - Ward Hoard
Ian Mc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Ian Mc »

I have a Casio pro trek 20, only used when out on the fells with the mapping function.
It's too big and ugly for any other use!
Time keeps on slipping into the future
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

About April last year I bought a Samsung Gear Sport after considering many fitness watches, buying and returning a Garmin Vivoactive and checking out the current Apple watch at the time.

I wasn't that bothered about the "smart" aspects of it as I wanted it purely for activity purposes and to replace a 4 year old Suunto so I didn't have to wear a chest strap to monitor heart rate. I bought it as it's a decent looking watch that can pass for an ordinary watch, it's not too big and it has the quick release facility for straps so I wore it on a CW soft leather strap when not at the gym. I ended up wearing it as my daily watch from purchase date through to late September last year as I was increasing my fitness work at the gym plus I was walking for up to 2 hours on a couple of days each week. I wanted to see how my heart rate reacted to this additional exercise.

Having seen 6 months of HRM I re-started wearing an ordinary watch for a late September holiday and then bought a Moonwatch in October so that is now my daily watch. If I hadn't bought that I'd probably still wear the Samsung as my daily.

I think the Samsung Galaxy is an upgraded new release to the Gear range.
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

I decided to delve into the world of smart watches after taking up mountain biking. I didn’t want to risk any of my mechanicals during blasts across rough terrain. I picked up a Series 1 Applewatch from sales corner on TZ-UK and have thoroughly enjoyed wearing it whilst exercising, during the day and most nights whilst sleeping. I had an off at the weekend that left grazes over much of my left leg and me picking bits of gravel out of my flesh/beard/elbow and I’m glad I wasn’t wearing a watch that might have received a sufficiently rough jolt to loosen hands or bits of the movement.

As for daily wear, I am that weird chap that wears a mechanical on my left wrist and my ‘health monitor’ on my right wrist.
Rob s
Senior
Senior

Post by Rob s »

So seems smart watch for exercising and then switch to normal watch for other times. That's pretty much how i use mine at the moment (sony smartwatch) it was cheap from ebay- doesnt do HR though.
I quite liked the sony smart strap idea where you use your normal watch with their strap but it was far too expensive to consider.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

I'm not a smart watch person in any way, however I have researched the idea of a band for recording data in the gym (I haven't gone down that route yet though). Wouldn't it be cheaper to just use a 'fitness band' if you are going to use a regular watch the majority of the time, rather than go down the full blown smart watch route? Only my opinion but I think that to get the most out of a smart watch it needs to be worn the majority of the time. If it's just to gather workout data, a fitness band may be a more viable option? After extensive research the one that would have fit my needs the best was the Garmin Vivosmart 3 as it counts reps (important for me), but is fairly reasonably priced and very unobtrusive on the wrist. When my back is fit enough to get back to lifting I'll probably invest, which needs to be soon as I'm losing too much wrist size and had to take links out of my bracelets over the last few months!
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

I use a Garmin 235 for running, but wouldn't be seen dead wearing it otherwise.
I'm not really interested in activity and heart rate tracking when I'm not exercising anyway.

Needs an upgrade because I'm training for an ultra, but the 235 doesn't have the mode for long durations so the battery will not last.
935 looks good (basically a Fenix 5 in a plastic case), but not cheap.
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
Rob s
Senior
Senior

Post by Rob s »

Ultra marathon Hughesyn! impressive, makes my weekly parkrun and odd 10km seem like...well.... a walk in the park. Hope the training's going well.