Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Showroom Visit - Feb 2019

Post by Jcalder68 »

Yes, I’ve done it again.

An early morning start, a bit of a drive, an appointment with Declan at CW Towers and I have a new watch in the bag…

With this visit I had several things I needed to check out. First off was to see the C1 Morgan 3-Wheeler in the flesh and try it on for size. Next up was to have some hands-on time with the new C65 Diver Autos (both black and blue versions) and finally, I had a raft of questions for the new Trident and GMT models. I also needed to return a sales purchase and have these funds go towards something new.

So, the C1. Yes, it is a lovely watch – a good size for me, the perfect blend of modern/vintage aesthetic that I appreciate with most of the CW range, in-house COSC movement, pretty much perfect for an everyday wear watch. However, the hand winding made me hesitate; I usually wear a couple of (automatic) watches from my general collection each day, have a couple of digital beaters and a couple of special mechanical ones for the weekends, and I could not figure out if a manual wind would work in my rotation. Silly, I know, but it was a big chunk of cash for me to justify. In fact, my C65 Diver manual wind has gone on semi-permanent loan to my brother-in-law for exactly this reason. Perhaps if the C1 was my only watch? Perhaps it goes back on the wish list for a significant birthday? We will see.

And then on to the C65s. Man, these are beautiful! The blue version really hits hard and, since there have been several questions about this version, I will try to answer as best as I can. An important point to note is that the blue on the bezel and on the dial are different, very different if you get the light right. The bezel blue is a fair bit darker, has hints of grey in it and is definitely more matte than satin in finish. On the other hand, the finish texture of the dial is slightly on the satin side of matte and its blue has noticable hints of greens, and even golds, if you catch it in bright sun. While not a true sunburst finish, it did remind me of iridescent peacock feathers to an extent. I tried both the butterscotch leather strap and bracelet versions and was stoked by both – for a summer watch, pair it on the leather (or add CW’s blue/grey/yellow NATO) and it really would rock. Unfortunately, I don’t wear that much blue on a regular basis so, while it looked stunning, I could not justify it. I bought the black one instead!

The black was perfect for me. Initially I was sceptical of the potential damage that might be picked up on the aluminium bezel, but as mentioned on the Forum before, the height of the crystal should offer some good protection! The proportions of the dot size, bezel thinness and dial also married together well and made it extremely easy on the eye when reading the time. I think the absence of min markers on the bezel and the simplified rail track on the dial also clean up the whole look of the watch. To me, the modern “Christopher Ward” text balanced with the white text of the date, embossed twin-flag emblem and the retro look of the whole watch also works perfectly, something that made me go for the GMT version a few months back.

Of course, I did try to get a bit of detail about the new GMT and Trident 3 models, and Declan gave what he could. The Trident will come in both 38mm and 42mm (probably launched at the same time) with ceramic bezels AND ceramic dials. The dials will have no wave pattern and I think will be matte. I am not sure of colours of bezel/dials, but there will be “a variety”. The case is also supposed to be more slender than the existing Trident Pro C60, but Declan could not elaborate much on the exact design. Lastly, there will be a GMT version (launched at the same time?) but we will have to wait and see on dial/bezel colours for that one. Unfortunately, there were no prototypes available to get a look at.

The only down side was strap options. This visit was the first one I have booked since the phasing out of the XS and Standard sizes. I still love the materials and feel of the new straps, and the addition of extra “tighter” holes on the new standard size do allow a good fit on my small wrist, but the tongue side is just too long for me. When fitted on the comfortable hole the tongue end wraps around my wrist so far that I can see several cm of it poking up behind the watch when I check the time. Thankfully I have sourced a couple of the “old” XS size off eBay, due for delivery by the weekend. Still keeping fingers crossed that the XS size is brought back into production...

Declan and I also discussed the face to face meeting that Chris and friends hosted in Edinburgh last month. I am booked in for the Manchester one and Declan also mentioned that there is a similar event planned for Cambridge in August. The provisional date is on the Bank Holiday weekend; I don’t know if anyone from CW has been to Cambridge on the summer holidays, but I used to live there and I sincerely hope they book a late start to allow everyone time to fight the traffic/tourists! See you there?

So, all in all, a very productive visit. I have another watch to add to the collection, my wallet is a bit lighter, their coffee is still delightful and I now need to save hard and twiddle my thumbs patiently until May and a new Trident…

And so, to the pics

A5B4CB20-312A-4D93-9B17-C2B90A31C7F5.jpeg
Blue Version, looks great
D9FC18BE-1692-422D-8893-B65D82DA6308.jpeg
And my little gem
414A39BB-63F2-467B-8502-5371AB134157.jpeg
1843B3A7-6722-4716-A840-51C1C7AFD814.jpeg
D9FC18BE-1692-422D-8893-B65D82DA6308.jpeg
A5B4CB20-312A-4D93-9B17-C2B90A31C7F5.jpeg
Hope this is of use to forum members,

C
Attachments
95A0E5D5-81C4-4E6E-AA28-A8BC2071613F.jpeg
86511BCA-66A0-4204-80DA-D5F0FACBBA3C.jpeg
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Rice and Gravy
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Re: Showroom Visit - Feb 2019

Post by Rice and Gravy »

Great update and fantastic pictures of the c65! The best I have seen of this watch to date. Looks like you had a wonderful visit, congrats on the new watch.

New Tridents in 38mm and 42mm, but not 40mm as has been rumored? Hmmm.
Omega SMP 2254.50
Omega Aqua Terra 8900 Blue
Christopher Ward C60 Trident 300 White
Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/Date
Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

Thanks for the update. Did you get chance to ask about the C65 Pepsi GMT, and did you take a look at the new black dial 316L? Curious about your impressions of these two watches.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jcalder68 »

Thanks guys.

@Rice & Gravy yes, it was a great visit. Declan is a grand chap and more than happy to either just ramble on about watches, or give full and detailed information (where allowed) about the CW brand. My appointment was meant to be 45mins, but I spent well over twice that with him. Thankfully there was no one after me!

@mvlow yes, there was a 316L in one of the boxes. I only gave it a brief glance as it’s 43mm size was not on my radar, sorry. From what I recall the black looked pretty inky and deeper than previous versions, possibly because of the lighter coloured bezel? I think the bright yellow of the strap stitching, second hand and hour markers also helped.

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

Thanks for another great write up of a showroom visit. I was glad to hear that the coffee is still delightful and that Declan remains a perfect gentleman.
I was particularly interested in the Trident Mk 3 news. A matt dial with no guilloche? That would make me very happy. 38mm and 42mm, well I certainly like the idea of 42mm. I just hope they don't mess with the hands too much. The short, pointy, "fake Seiko hour" hand illustrated in the latest issue of Loupe was enough to put me off Trident's for life.
Roll on the April GTG and if anyone else goes to the showroom, gets more hints, and can write as good a visit report as Mick and Jcalder68 we will all be well served.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Congratulations on getting that lovely C65 Automatic, good photos of it too.

A showroom visit is always a fantastic experience.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Thanks C....great write up and insight :thumbup:
Congratulations on your new purchase.
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jcalder68 »

Thanks, fellow forum inmates.
Watch is growing on me, it definitely has a slow release charm. Accuracy is proving to be bang in too at just +2sec since I picked it up three days ago.
Now I have the leather strap(s) I’m having fun trying all sorts of different looks with it. I also a have a coupe of nice NATO options in order, should be with me by the end of next week.

C