Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Pikey
Junior
Junior

C1000 Typhoon chronograph question

Post by Pikey »

I have this watch:

https://www.christopherward.co.uk/c1000 ... ion-1bb760

My favourite part about it, is the chronograph minute counter displaying exact minutes, ie it ticks onto the next minute every revolution of the chronograph second hand. I dont know of another automatic watch that does this.

Is this a characteristic of the movement, or is it something added by CW? On the watch info page, it says: "Powered by a modified version of ETA's 7750 chronograph movement"

There is another watch I'm looking at which has a Valjoux 7750 movement in it, and I'm trying to find out if it will have the same characteristic.

Thanks,

Jeff :)
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: C1000 Typhoon chronograph question

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I’m no expert but I believe that mechanical chronographs do that. My Speedmaster certainly does, as do other older mechanical chronographs I have owned. The minute counters on quartz chronographs do the same thing.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

I have an El Primero which goes the same thing. It’s not a typical quartz tick though, about 1/2 a second beforehand it seems to start to move slightly then spring over exactly on the minute if that makes sense.

Iain
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by biggus_richus »

My Marloe Lomond, running a Chinese Seagull movement does the same.
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

My 7750 does that, must be a characteristic of the movement.

The C1000 modification consists of ditching the date and running seconds!
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

iain wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:16 pm I have an El Primero which goes the same thing. It’s not a typical quartz tick though, about 1/2 a second beforehand it seems to start to move slightly then spring over exactly on the minute if that makes sense.

Iain
Pretty much what the 1861 Calibre on the Speedy does. It’s fascinating to watch a chronograph when you first get one. After a while you just let them get on with the job.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I have several Valjoux 7750 powered watches, including a C1000 Typhoon RAF, and the minutes on the chronograph all 'tick over' in the same way.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Not all mechanical chronographs are as mentioned in the above posts. I have just checked one of mine, as I thought it was different and it is.

The chronograph minute hand moves in line with the chronograph seconds hand, rather than wait until almost 60 seconds and move forward a complete minute.

It’s one of the Speedmaster Racing series that has calibre 3330. The 3330 is apparently based on the ETA 7750, but with a column wheel, rather than the normal cam.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Pikey
Junior
Junior

Post by Pikey »

My Monaco doesnt do it, and also my Seiko VK64-powered Straton doesnt do it either.

I'm considering selling the Straton, and getting one of their new 'Legera Bullhead' watches, which comes with the 7750 movement. I'd probably then be happy to sell the C1000 and get one of CW's lovely dress watches. That makes sense in my head anyway :)
MrDagon007
Junior
Junior

Post by MrDagon007 »

The seiko ne88 moves its minute counter gradually
McDaWisel
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by McDaWisel »

My Sinn 103 has a Valjoux 7750 - It starts changing the minute counter starts moving about one seconds before the full minute has elapsed. I do really like that feature! Here a little recording:
IMG_0289TRIM (1).gif