Damaged the crown

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Shiftface

Damaged the crown

Post by Shiftface »

Hi!

I managed to lose my new trident in the ground pretty badly. This made a big scrach on the crown. I have only had the watch for a short while. Do any of you know if its possible to replase the crown and if its very expencive?

Thank you!
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Damaged the crown

Post by Mikkei4 »

Touch wood I've only damaged the crown on 1 watch when it got pulled off the stem that goes into the body of the watch. This was an expensive repair as the crown and stem had to be replaced.

It might be different with the CW watches and maybe even differ from 1 model to another but I don't know. If nobody here is able to help then maybe photograph it as best as possible from a couple of angles and send them on an email to CW Customer Services for comment.
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

^^^^
What he says.
The crown stem for an ETA or Sellita movement are only a few pounds each, and I don’t expect an individual crown costs much more for the manufacturer to make. However, it is accessing the crown stem, fitting it correctly, replacement of seals and pressure testing the watch again that takes both time, skill and the right equipment.
CW Customer Services would be my first port of call that’s a definite

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Contacting CW is your best course of action as that is the only place you will get an oem crown. Hopefully there is no internal damage and that is all that the crown/stem is all that needs to be replaced.

CW will give you an estimate prior to repair.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Rebnats
Senior
Senior

Post by Rebnats »

Hi ****, Sounds like you are in a world Sxxx.
Sorry couldn’t resist. Contact CW customer service.
C60 Trident Bronze Pro 600
C65 Trident GMT.

Tag Heuer McLaren .
Tissot Classic T Touch.
Seiko Starfish.
Rebnats
Senior
Senior

Post by Rebnats »

Apologies for the above reply, late at night reading without my specs. Thought your name was Something else.
C60 Trident Bronze Pro 600
C65 Trident GMT.

Tag Heuer McLaren .
Tissot Classic T Touch.
Seiko Starfish.
Shiftface

Post by Shiftface »

Thank you all for answearing my question! One of you said there might be internal damage. Im compleatly new to mechanical watches so im a bit worried. Also im not located in the UK so sending it to CW for a check is a bit of a hazzle. Is there some way for me to know if there is any damage? The watch is a chronometer and over the last week it has lost one minute (its going one minute to slow). Is this acceptable or can it be a sign of damage? Im sorry if its a silly question and im sorry for my terrible english.
Thank you all!
Markornot
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by Markornot »

If it’s winding as before and the day/date is function is working properly it is probably just the crown that needs replacing for cosmetic purposes. If it’s a screw down crown that still screws in smoothly, even less likely that it did any damage internally. If that’s the case, it should be a relatively simple fix. If you can live with the cosmetic blemish, it may not even need attending to. At minus 1 minute a week or around 8 seconds a day, that’s probably still pretty close to being within COSC spec. A chronometer may not stay to spec indefinitely anyway.
Mark
CW - C8 Flyer, C6 JHMk3, C7 Corsa Rosso LE, C3 Chronograph, C8 Reg | TAG Heuer F1 | Orient - Black Raven II, Bambino, Star Seeker GMT, Galant, Monarch | Seagull - Grn Military, Moon Phase | Tissot - Visodate | Steinhart - NavA Pilot MW, NavB Vintage
Shiftface

Post by Shiftface »

Thank you! That made alot of the stress go away. I can live with the crown I have now. Its just so typical of me to lose the watch on a stone floor after owning it for ten minutes...