Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Pictures of where you live

Post by jkbarnes »

I live in a soulless suburb about 20 miles south of Washington, DC. It's dominated by strip malls, chain restaurants & stores, and traffic lights. It could be Anywhere, USA.

Hidden in amongst all this, however, is a national park that provides an escape from the asphalt and traffic. I just got myself an annual pass in an attempt to encourage me to visit more often.
IMG_2714.jpg
IMG_2677.jpg
IMG_2657.jpg
Drew
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

Truly breathtaking photos posted here. Makes me want to jump on a plane and see it all in person. I really appreciate everyone contributing their pictures.
Best regards,
John
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

A few from my neck of the woods.

Thai Kings:
37032735_10155996244892098_5927842024316207104_o.jpg
One of the beaches:
IMG_0017.JPG
Not always sunshine!
IMG_0027-001.JPG
Wat Khao Takiap:
IMG_4381.JPG
Local vineyard:
IMG_0115-017.JPG
Temple by vineyard:
IMG_0038-057.JPG
Local street food menu! :D
IMG_0753.JPG
'Tis me
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Frome, Somerset.

Frome Market Place November 2013 Jenson Button

The Jenson Button Bridge

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

Caller and Scooter...spectacular photos.
Best regards,
John
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

TigerChris wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:23 pm
Thermexman wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:19 pm
TigerChris wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:57 pm I don’t know if photos of part closed power stations and closed pits (cheers Maggie!) will quite compete with SF Bay! :lol:
Might make me homesick for the “People’s Republic Of South Yorkshire”! Born and bred in a pit town.
Where abouts, Steve? Nowt wrong with pit towns; good, honest, genuine people. But, being from near Castleford and living just outside Ponte now, I am gonna say that hey :D
We have an office close to Castleford, I've passed through quite a few times and caught the train from Cas. Quite an unusual set up at the train station with only one platform. It's like a branch off the line so the train comes and goes the same way whether you are heading North to Leeds or South to Sheffield. :?
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Thegreyman wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:49 pm
TigerChris wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:23 pm
Thermexman wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:19 pm

Might make me homesick for the “People’s Republic Of South Yorkshire”! Born and bred in a pit town.
Where abouts, Steve? Nowt wrong with pit towns; good, honest, genuine people. But, being from near Castleford and living just outside Ponte now, I am gonna say that hey :D
We have an office close to Castleford, I've passed through quite a few times and caught the train from Cas. Quite an unusual set up at the train station with only one platform. It's like a branch off the line so the train comes and goes the same way whether you are heading North to Leeds or South to Sheffield. :?
:lol: :lol: Thats Cas, the line splits as you go past Aldi! Next time you are there give me a shout if you have time :thumbup:
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

Caller wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:21 pm Local street food menu! :D
IMG_0753.JPG
Caller, what’s that to the south of chicken and east of prawns?
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

0uatiOW wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:37 pm
Caller wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:21 pm Local street food menu! :D
IMG_0753.JPG
Caller, what’s that to the south of chicken and east of prawns?
I have no idea and I have learnt that sometimes it's best not to ask, as Thai's will eat pretty much all of everything that moves! I will ask my other half later when she has finished work and get back to you.
'Tis me
vokeyuk
Senior
Senior

Post by vokeyuk »

Im always wary of post like these, its great to see where others live, but I always leave a little envious and disappointed. envy for others' homes, and disappointed my own lacks the glamour. I should know better than to look.

My own hometown is essentially devoid of any real charm, its a new town in scotland designed to offer relief from the post war slums in glasgow. a concrete jungle, which in just the right light looks harsh.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

vokeyuk wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:53 am Im always wary of post like these, its great to see where others live, but I always leave a little envious and disappointed. envy for others' homes, and disappointed my own lacks the glamour. I should know better than to look.

My own hometown is essentially devoid of any real charm, its a new town in scotland designed to offer relief from the post war slums in glasgow. a concrete jungle, which in just the right light looks harsh.
I know what you mean. It can make you envious to see some of the lovely locations that people are lucky enough to live in or around.

The canal that I’ve depicted, which runs several hundred yards behind my house, is very pretty but but if you find it on Google earth, you’ll see that it meanders through some uglier spots. My housing estate is nothing to shout about. It’s just a typical 90’s estate with barely enough garden or parking space.

I’m sure that there’s some lovely spots within reasonable traveling distance from you? Scotland is full of them. Get some pics loaded of them and make us envious. :thumbup:
Steve.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

vokeyuk wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:53 am Im always wary of post like these, its great to see where others live, but I always leave a little envious and disappointed. envy for others' homes, and disappointed my own lacks the glamour. I should know better than to look.

I hear ya, and totally get where you’re coming from. I deleted my original post on this thread. Since I live in the suburbs, which could be Anywhere USA, I originally posted pics of Dijon, France. I consider that a home away from home. BUT...that’s not where I live.

Instead, I remembered this little gem of a national park where I live. It’s an oasis that I always forget about. And while my hometown is nothing to shake a stick at, there’s beauty and history within an hours drive of any direction. That’s not too shabby.

Look around, there’s beauty to be found just about anywhere.
Drew
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

jkbarnes wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:30 pm

I hear ya, and totally get where you’re coming from. I deleted my original post on this thread. Since I live in the suburbs, which could be Anywhere USA, I originally posted pics of Dijon, France. I consider that a home away from home. BUT...that’s not where I live.

Instead, I remembered this little gem of a national park where I live. It’s an oasis that I always forget about. And while my hometown is nothing to shake a stick at, there’s beauty and history within an hours drive of any direction. That’s not too shabby.

Look around, there’s beauty to be found just about anywhere.
My apologies, guys. I'm really sorry if I caused any offense. I was actually curious to see different places where forum members live, regardless if one considers them beautiful or glamorous, because our membership spans the globe which I think is great. Any place in the world, irrespective of its perceived aesthetic, is interesting to me. But I completely understand your point of view and appreciate your letting me know.
Best regards,
John
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

^^^ I don't think an apology is necessary John. I, for one, really enjoy these type of threads even though I get a little envious of certain members postcodes from time-to-time ... or is that zip-codes :?
Yes Sunshine Gary, I'm referring to you! :D

Scooter's photos above are great. I can honestly say that I'd never given Frome a thought, but after seeing those and doing a bit more digging, a future visit may be in order.

Meanwhile back in Wales, our mining towns aren't paradise from an aesthetic PoV, but they have plenty of history and the surrounding scenery is :thumbup:

Here's my neck of the woods. A moody day in the Welsh Valleys ...

(click on image to see enlarged version)
Ryan