Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: The "I've never seen a stranger wearing a CW" thread

Post by Essex Paul »

Had my first sighting last week.
My new boss!! Unreal.
He’d been sitting next to me and after two day’s happened to glance at his wrist and couldn’t believe my eyes.
He was wearing a C60 pro 600 38m.

His wife had bought him it for his birthday in 2017.
His father in law introduced him to CW.

We both laughed as he sent it back twice under warrantee. It had stopped working twice before CW said there was nothing wrong with it and kept it for 9 weeks! In despair told them to forget it and was going to pick it up from CW and take it to Hatton Garden to get fixed. They then had it back to him within a week with a new movement!
Been fine since. Poor, so poor.
His father in law had his back at CW twice too!

And me? My C1 went back 2 weeks ago after only 8 weeks of wear.

Not a good advert eh? :lol:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Hicksmat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by Hicksmat »

I think there's more people that you think with a CW - chances are they are back at CW for repair thats why no one is wearing one.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Hicksmat wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:11 pm I think there's more people that you think with a CW - chances are they are back at CW for repair thats why no one is wearing one.
Was that tongue-in-cheek? I don't think things are that bad :shock:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

Thegreyman wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:39 pm
Hicksmat wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:11 pm I think there's more people that you think with a CW - chances are they are back at CW for repair thats why no one is wearing one.
Was that tongue-in-cheek? I don't think things are that bad :shock:

Probably not that bad Patrick in terms of % of watches sold, but if it’s happened to you and the first person you meet who has a CW has had a bad experience along with his father in law too, well it’s just seems too many.
I’m desperately wanting your C65 (handwound or Auto, yet to make mind up) but it really does make you wonder whether to puchase again or just not bother. If all the above was a car then you just wouldn’t even think about buying another one from that maker.
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Wowzer, actually saw a C60 blue mk1 at work today. He instantly recognised my C60 too. Excitement over!
DanielDZ
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by DanielDZ »

I've never seen a stranger wearing a CW, midlands area
Current watches: Tudor Black bay 36 Black dial, C65 Trident GMT Black/Orange, C30 Malvern Chronometer LTD

Previously owned CW: C65 automatic blue, C9 5-day 40mm
Darksol

Post by Darksol »

I'm in sunny SoCal CA (USA)... never seen a CW in the state of CA.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Just saw this thread and I thought I'd throw my pennies worth in. I'm often glancing at men's wrists to see what they might be wearing. As a watch enthusiast, you think that every other male wrist is going to be sporting a watch of note. This does not appear to be the case. I thought every other male on the planet was after a Tudor BB58. I've never seen one out in the wilds, must be that waiting list! Rolex subs, they should be everywhere according to the cacophony of internet coveting. Only seen a handful in my lifetime. Omega Speedmaster's...only ever seen one on a friend's wrist. CW's? Again, never seen one in the flesh, doing its thing, sweeping at however many vph. In short, the watch enthusiast is a pretty small tribe out of a global population in excess of 7 billion. I guess you could say we're a storm in a teacup. Undeniably the watch I see with the greatest frequency is the Apple watch or the Fit bit, Garmin seem to have quite a presence too. I probably shouldn't have used the word 'frequency' in the last sentence, for where those last three manufacturers are concerned, there isn't an auto movement in sight.
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
DanielDZ
Junior
Junior

Post by DanielDZ »

strapline wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:55 pm Just saw this thread and I thought I'd throw my pennies worth in. I'm often glancing at men's wrists to see what they might be wearing. As a watch enthusiast, you think that every other male wrist is going to be sporting a watch of note. This does not appear to be the case. I thought every other male on the planet was after a Tudor BB58. I've never seen one out in the wilds, must be that waiting list! Rolex subs, they should be everywhere according to the cacophony of internet coveting. Only seen a handful in my lifetime. Omega Speedmaster's...only ever seen one on a friend's wrist. CW's? Again, never seen one in the flesh, doing its thing, sweeping at however many vph. In short, the watch enthusiast is a pretty small tribe out of a global population in excess of 7 billion. I guess you could say we're a storm in a teacup. Undeniably the watch I see with the greatest frequency is the iWatch or the Fitbit, Garmin seem to have quite a presence too. I probably shouldn't have used the word 'frequency' in the last sentence, for where those last three manufacturers are concerned, there isn't an auto movement in sight.
This is so true! It's all apple watches and fit bits in the UK.
Current watches: Tudor Black bay 36 Black dial, C65 Trident GMT Black/Orange, C30 Malvern Chronometer LTD

Previously owned CW: C65 automatic blue, C9 5-day 40mm
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

strapline wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:55 pm Just saw this thread and I thought I'd throw my pennies worth in. I'm often glancing at men's wrists to see what they might be wearing. As a watch enthusiast, you think that every other male wrist is going to be sporting a watch of note. This does not appear to be the case. I thought every other male on the planet was after a Tudor BB58. I've never seen one out in the wilds, must be that waiting list! Rolex subs, they should be everywhere according to the cacophony of internet coveting. Only seen a handful in my lifetime. Omega Speedmaster's...only ever seen one on a friend's wrist. CW's? Again, never seen one in the flesh, doing its thing, sweeping at however many vph. In short, the watch enthusiast is a pretty small tribe out of a global population in excess of 7 billion. I guess you could say we're a storm in a teacup. Undeniably the watch I see with the greatest frequency is the iWatch or the Fitbit, Garmin seem to have quite a presence too. I probably shouldn't have used the word 'frequency' in the last sentence, for where those last three manufacturers are concerned, there isn't an auto movement in sight.
Good point. I never see any luxury watch, let alone a CW. If and when I do see something on the more expensive side, it's usually a Tag. I see so few watches (real watches, as opposed to fitness trackers and smart watches), that ANY watch grabs my attention. When I'm at school and see a student wearing a watch, I make a point of commenting on it so as to encourage the continued wearing of a watch. It's actually pretty rare to see something other than an Apple Watch on a kid's wrist.
Drew
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

Darksol wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:25 am I'm in sunny SoCal CA (USA)... never seen a CW in the state of CA.
As a Bay Area resident, I can confirm at least one other CW in California. :D
Best regards,
John
McDaWisel
Expert
Expert

Post by McDaWisel »

I have never seen a CW "in the wild", but two funny "incidents" with colleagues:

I spotted a Seamaster on a colleague and was about to start a conversation, when I saw it was a quartz - as in no sweeping hand, but one tick a second ?!? Stopped myself and assumed it was a bad fake. Did some quick research and saw that Omega indeed made a Seamaster 300m with a quartz mouvement. Now I regret not bringing it up...

One other time I did pretty much the opposite: complemented a colleague on his watch and asked him what it was - it was an "open heart" design, looked really good, but I didn't recognize it. He was a little embarrassed, it was a 100 Euro Fossil. We talked about it a little and again I had to do some research, that one has a "twist movement" - from the fossil website: "combines the beauty of an automatic movement with the accuracy of a quartz battery. Partially exposing the inner-workings of the timepiece, the second hand is powered by the motion of your wrist, while the hour and minute hands run off of the replaceable battery." New concept to me!

I work closely with a large sales team, plenty of Rolexes around, and I was quite surprised how much they know about the watches. I incorrectly assumed it was mostly a status symbol, but most of the guys know their reference numbers, lug to lug sizes, calibers and have strong opinions :-), most even have a story to tell about the watch! I was pleasantly surprised!
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Honestly, most average people I've seen tend to wear cheap quartz watches; either Casio or Invicta types. Anything over $100 seems VERY expensive to them. That's why I keep coming back to CW and the Trident for my next watch because of the value they bring.

I realize most of the people out there aren't gonna take a second look at your high-end timepiece. Sure, WE know it's costly and a higher-class of watch than the lower-tier. But the rest do not give a toss, and are more interested in what model of smartphone you use. Whether I wear a CW or Tudor or Omega it's bound to get the same blank reaction in the real world (despite the quality difference). I reckon Rolex would be the only one to get a stare because, well, it's Rolex!

Colors such as red or blue tend to get the most attention rather than the actual finishing involved. Again, because of the value and beauty you get, I see the new red/black Trident coming to me at the end of the year. :D
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

^^^unfortunately none of the last few contributors above saying they haven't seen Speedy's, Subs or many luxury watches have their locations showing, which would be interesting to know where there is a lack of any such brands on people's wrists.

Having worked in City of London and Canary Wharf (about 10 years ago now) these locations were full of people wearing "luxury" watches and even now in deepest Berks I get to see many and various Omega's, Rolex and other "luxury" watches at the local golf courses including a lovely "old" Sub which is IMO a much nicer size than the present model.

Still nobody else wearing a CW though which does surprise me really as I'm only about 20mins from the CW showroom.