Bronze Magrette Waterman

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: Bronze Magrette Waterman

Post by Thegreyman »

gaf1958 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:54 am I hope that Magrette have not been tempted to increase the WR on the Waterman. With the Dual Time, they went from 200m to 500m WR, with a corresponding increase in case thickness - the original wore much better. If they do it with the Waterman, I’ll be less likely to buy one, which is a shame, as I love my stainless Waterman and a blue dialled bronze version could be nice.
Bad news Gary :problem:

From Forasec today:

"We love that this 42mm model returns in bronze! The Waterman is one of those watches that fits every occasion as it is moderately sized, sporty, classy and with some retro feel.

The Moana Pacific Waterman Bronze combines a retro look with very modern specifications and technical abilities. Its 500m WR (used to be 200m) is enough for 99% of the population. Its Swiss made Sellita SW200-1 automatic movement guarantees longevity and durability. If you are not familiar with this movement: it is very similar to the ETA 2824 and used by brands like Sinn, Eterna, Baume & Mercier, Oris, Bell & Ross and many others.

It has a ceramic, lumed bezel, a sandwich dial (also with lots of lume), a branded crown and comes with two straps: leather and tropical rubber.

For more technical details and pictures: click the blue button below!

Timing: Expected end of June 2019
Pre order start: Today!
Pre-order discounted price: 699 euro (plus shipping). A deposit of 300 euro now will guarantee you one of the first production batch. We will contact you before delivery for the payment of the remaining 399 euro and shipping costs. Cancellation remains possible with full refund."
Moana3.png
Moana2.png
Moana1.jpg
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Very attractive indeed and love the lume. It’s even a sensible size. :thumbup:
Will sell well no doubt.
Cheers now, Paul
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

@Thegreyman - thanks for the heads up and details Patrick.

Great spec but I'm going to have to think hard on this as the upgraded spec over the regular Waterman (Swiss movement, ceramic bezel, 500m WR) all push the price up.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Bronze Magrette Waterman

Post by gaf1958 »

Thegreyman wrote:
gaf1958 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:54 am I hope that Magrette have not been tempted to increase the WR on the Waterman. With the Dual Time, they went from 200m to 500m WR, with a corresponding increase in case thickness - the original wore much better. If they do it with the Waterman, I’ll be less likely to buy one, which is a shame, as I love my stainless Waterman and a blue dialled bronze version could be nice.
Bad news Gary :problem:
Its 500m WR (used to be 200m) is enough for 99% of the population. Its Swiss made Sellita SW200-1 automatic movement guarantees longevity and durability.
It has a ceramic, lumed bezel, a sandwich dial (also with lots of lume), a branded crown and comes with two straps: leather and tropical rubber.
Thanks Patrick. It’s a shame, as the other specs (ceramic insert, Sellita movement) are improvements, but I have no doubt it’s going to be thicker... :(
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Gary, 15.3mm case height. Full spec from the Magrette website:

CASE DIMENSIONS: 42mm x 51mm lug to lug, 22mm lug width, 15.3mm tall.

MATERIAL: Solid CuSn8 bronze case, crown, and buckles. Fine brushed finishing throughout.

BEZEL: Ceramic (matte finish), engraved and fully lumed (Swiss Super-LumiNova® BGW9, pip in C3).

DIAL: Sandwich construction with Swiss Super-LumiNova® BGW9 lume; fully brushed hands with Super-LumiNova® C3 lume.

WATER-RESISTANCE: 500m/1650ft water resistance. Viton gasket used on case back.

MOVEMENT: Swiss Sellita SW200-1 automatic movement. 28,800 vibrations per hour, 4Hz, hacking seconds. Power reserve 38 hours.

CRYSTAL: Sapphire (high domed), AR coating.

CROWN: Screw down, bronze, raised Magrette shield logo.

STRAPS: Rubber Tropic and leather.

LIMITED: 1st Edition 500 pieces*
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Bronze Magrette Waterman

Post by gaf1958 »

15.3mm is not that bad I guess, but almost certainly thicker than my stainless Waterman. The use of the Sellita over the equivalent STP 1-11 used in recent Magrettes is interesting too. The stainless Waterman uses a 9015 Minotaur...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

Not sure it's right to seek deposits based on a prototype, when the website states:

Note: These are images of the prototype. There maybe slight changes made to the production model.
'Tis me
Bahnstormer_vRS

gaf1958 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:02 pm 15.3mm is not that bad I guess, but almost certainly thicker than my stainless Waterman. The use of the Sellita over the equivalent STP 1-11 used in recent Magrettes is interesting too. The stainless Waterman uses a 9015 Minotaur...
Its not too bad actually.

I've measured the height of my steel Waterman as 15.00mm +or- 0.1mm (bit tricky to get it correct due to the domed crystal) i.e. only 0.3mm difference.

The crystal is sapphire (feels cold to the touch) but I'm not sure about the bezel, it looks like aluminium with a gloss finish, but might just be ceramic.

Interesting to note the Limitation: First edition 500 pieces, future editions may be released depending on demand. i.e. its not necessarily going to be an LE run.

Its also worth considering that the Waterman Bronze at FORaSEC is 699Euro = £611.75 inc VAT (current rate on xe.com) against a natural competitor of the C60 Trident Bronze MkII at £695 (allowing for the current £100 voucher).

Might be a tough choice for some; although paying in two tranches does soften the blow.

I'm starting to sound picky? :problem:

Guy

Bahnstormer_vRS

Caller wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:37 pm Not sure it's right to seek deposits based on a prototype, when the website states:

Note: These are images of the prototype. There maybe slight changes made to the production model.
. . . . but it also states (on FORaSEC at least) "You can cancel the deposit during the waiting period and receive a full refund." and then there is the usual internet distance selling rules allowing you to return etc.

What is there to lose?

Guy

neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by neilj568 »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:52 pm
Caller wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:37 pm Not sure it's right to seek deposits based on a prototype, when the website states:

. . . . but it also states (on FORaSEC at least) "You can cancel the deposit during the waiting period and receive a full refund." and then there is the usual internet distance selling rules allowing you to return etc.

What is there to lose?

Guy
Sounds like you are going for it if you haven't already... :D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by AliBar »

What is there to lose?
Nothing in my book Guy.

I've been on a bronze hunt for the last 6 months or more, and C60's have been in and out of the basket too many times. Having had a Moana chronograph before I know the Magrette brand and do actually regret letting that one go. I think this one looks stunning in the pics so I am "in"... just have to wait till June.
Alastair.

Double Member of the C80 Owners Club
Bahnstormer_vRS

neilj568 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:47 pm

What is there to lose?

Guy
Sounds like you are going for it if you haven't already... :D
On the contrary Neil, I'm very much on the fence if you've read my other post (just above) where I consider size, specification and price. Its not so far off the price of a Trident bronze now, and could be the same as, or higher, after the pre-order discount.

Am I being too picky / fussy though?

I've just checked what I paid for my Magrette Kara (titanium as opposed to bronze and a bona fide LE) which on pre-order was £652. In that context £611.75 (current exchange rate) for the Waterman Bronze is not so bad.

I think I'll sleep on it for a day or two.

Guy

Bahnstormer_vRS

AliBar wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:49 pm
What is there to lose?
Nothing in my book Guy.

I've been on a bronze hunt for the last 6 months or more, and C60's have been in and out of the basket too many times. Having had a Moana chronograph before I know the Magrette brand and do actually regret letting that one go. I think this one looks stunning in the pics so I am "in"... just have to wait till June.
Top man. Nothing ventured and all that . . . . . . :thumbup:

Guy

Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:52 pm . . . . but it also states (on FORaSEC at least) "You can cancel the deposit during the waiting period and receive a full refund." and then there is the usual internet distance selling rules allowing you to return etc.

What is there to lose?

Guy
Thanks, that's useful to know, although I would be buying direct from Magrette. I'll drop them a message.
'Tis me
AliBar
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by AliBar »

Well it has landed. Only a couple of weeks delayed over the original estimated delivery. The comms from the FORaSEC guys have been spot on from the point of making the initial reservation. Despatched from the Netherlands first thing yesterday and here in northern Blighty before lunch today so no reservations at all about using these guys again.

First impressions. I like it. Well packaged - but only to be as expected based on my previous experience of Magrette. Lovely travel type case holding the watch and spare leather strap with a pocket in the lid for "who knows what" :? . At 42mm it is right in my sweet spot for size (55mm lug to lug) and the rubber strap is soft and comfortable. I will try it on the leather later. It is quite chunky, I think someone spotted 15mm tall earlier, so it does sit quite proud on the wrist. If you were not used to such a depth I think you'd be clunking the odd door frame when walking past.

Reality versus web pictures. I think the blue is quite a bit lighter in real life (see the pics)... it is not as black-blue as the web pictures might suggest, more a mid-blue methinks. The bronze currently has a rose gold colour to it but by gawd is it changing fast. Out of the box, not two hours ago, it was shiny but has already started to dull and darken as the oxidation kicks in. I'm obviously interested to see how this develops over time.

It has certainly satisfied my bronze itch for the time being. The pics....

IMG_3090.JPG
IMG_3092.JPG
IMG_3093.JPG
IMG_3101.JPG
IMG_3104.JPG
IMG_3109.JPG
IMG_3111.JPG
Alastair.

Double Member of the C80 Owners Club