LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Forum Survey Results

Post by Kip »

As many of you are aware, The Admin Team commissioned CW to send out a survey to our members so we (The Admin Team) could get a better idea of how we are doing and more importantly, what we can do to improve the Christopher Ward Forum for everyone.

The survey went out in early December 2018, with the added incentive of a C5 Malvern 595 in a prize draw to improve the responses. This seemed to work as we had 551 responses, an approximate 11% return rate of Forum members who received the survey. The survey closed on January 17th. The draw for the C5 Malvern 595 was held and the winner was NotEnoughWrists.

Not everyone answered every question. The results below are stated as a percentage of the respondents which is shown as e.g. (551).

General / Introduction

Although not in line with our stats on daily usage of the forum, over 61% of responses were from the UK with over 20% from the USA/Canada. Europe gave us almost 12% and Australia/New Zealand almost 3%.

60% (541) of respondents are age 45+. The rest being 18-44 years.

Over 43% (543) of respondents belong to quite a variety of one or more other forums, while almost 46% say this is the only watch forum they visit.

About 86% (541) of members own at least one CW watch and 91% own other brands as well.

The majority of respondents (60%) (541) do not follow CW on Facebook and/or Instagram.

Some 25% (551) are members of the CW Forum and the CW Enthusiast Facebook Group.

Of those that are members of both, we find that the forum is far more informative, personal, serious and has a community feel. The FB Group comes across as a bit more friendly, casual, modern, superficial, immediate and easier to add photos.

Although The forum is easy to navigate and research (70%), some find that Facebook is quicker and easier, especially adding photos.

How good a job is the Admin Team doing? (531)

73% percent of respondents think we are doing a good job. Some feel we are too strict at following the 'Rules and Etiquette’ guidelines and are too quick to delete offensive posts. We have taken note and have been operating with a lighter touch recently.

59% (536) of you are interested in some form of social events and/or GTGs organized by the forum.

About 50% of you would travel up to 100 miles for a GTG. Only a small percentage are willing to travel further. About 38% have no interest in a GTG at all.

What do you dislike or would like less of on/about the forum? (346)

75% strongly dislike the moaning, bitching, back biting, bickering, passive aggressive behavior, self-indulgent opinions, the clique and, most notably, CW logo comments and discussions. One respondent mentioned they did not like the political discussions! I must admit that surprised us.

The vast majority (76%) rarely or never post on the forum. Reasons given for not posting are heavily weighted toward the above dislikes, but also include not enough time (38%), afraid to make a fool of myself or being bullied for lack of knowledge, hard to post photos and the feeling that the forum is snobby.

Sales Corner (479)

51% think it is good/excellent and have no issue with the minimum post count requirements as it provides a safe place to buy/sell. 33% have not accessed, used or can’t see it due to post count. 3% say posting photos is difficult and 3% are unhappy that sellers do not update their posts when sold/withdrawn.

Forum Rules and Guidelines (326)

This question provided a variety of curious responses.

37% are very content with the way things are, while 14% would like fewer rules. Most of the fewer rules comments were diverse and directed to individual dislikes. They included, less power to the moderators, no pointless posts, have Facebook and forum be friends and not discredit each other, less negativity, no slagging off celebrity endorsements and introduce a trusted seller ranking.

When asked what rule should be removed, most (43%) would not limit access to the Sales Corner and change the process for uploading photos.

What can we do to encourage more new members? (343)

17% of the responses to this question said that the forum should try to be more friendly and less 'stuffy', and 4% observed that we should avoid cliques . 17% say CW should promote the forum more. Other percentages are pretty even based around being as friendly as the Facebook group, have moderators review watches, more contests and prize draws and incentives for new customers.

What would you like to see more of in the Forum? (367)

Special deals/incentives for quality posts over quantity (18%) . More posting by the Admin Team. Posting by CW employees (18%) . More articles and watch reviews (21%).

Favourite forum topics (427)
User watch reviews (25%)
New release information/previews (16%)
Technical threads/advice/ care and maintenance (13%)
Sales Corner (9%)
Behind the scenes/inside info from CW (7%)
Other Brands (7%)

Least favourite forum topics (392)
Moans / bitching / complaints related to logo, service and sales (36%)
Non Watch subjects (26%)
Other Brands (15%)
Snobbery and unfriendly towards newbies (6%)
Politics (?) (4%)
For Sale (4%)

Summary

The 2 points that stood out the most from the survey were the overall negativity and adding photos. The negativity is what pushes people away, keeps new members from posting, keeps lurkers from joining and overall does no good for the forum or CW.

It seems to us, that if we want to make the forum a more welcoming and friendlier place to be and post, we (the forum membership) must first look at ourselves and consider the negativity of our posts. Whether real or perceived, we must all make the effort to be more positive. Things can be stated in many ways, so perhaps we all should try harder to make our posts in a more positive and constructive manner.

As to photos….

Interestingly, some members have apparently not yet discovered that they can now attach photos directly within the forum. Some respondents mentioned that we still recommend the use a hosting service. While it is true you may still use a hosting service for photos, the preferred way is to attach photos directly.

This tells us we have done a poor job of getting the information about adding photos (as attachments within the forum) out to the members.

We would also conclude that The Admin Team could be more transparent regarding ongoing projects.

Members would like more watch reviews and would also like to see the reviews posted by the Admin Team.

You would also like to see more posting by the Admin Team as well as posting by CW employees to get more inside information/previews. We do not think we will see much posting from CW. Although it is permitted, it has always been limited from their side so as to not influence editorial content and maintain the independence of the forum.

A trusted seller ranking has also been suggested. We don’t know if we can do this via our software, but it is a good idea and will be looked at.

It was also suggested, many times, that we add a technical glossary of watch parts.

One of the more contentious areas are the Sales Corner Rules. We would remind members that these rules are in place to provide a form of protection for both buyers and sellers, and also to cover the forum legally that we are providing as secure a location as possible for our members. The rules were recently revised and shall be reviewed periodically.

Another key point was the difference between the CWE Facebook Group and the forum. It was likened to the difference between a light and quick lunch and a 3-course meal. Our aim is to make this 3-course meal even more fulfilling.

One more item that was mentioned repeatedly in the comments was for more historical information and photos on CW watches and the company. While we have the "Archives", it is horribly inefficient and out of date. The Admin Team is currently working on a complete revision of the Archives. It is very time consuming, but we are making progress and firmly believe you will be pleased with the results. In the meantime, we still have our Reference Gallery and would strongly encourage members to add photos. There are many models that have none or just 1 or 2 photos.

In conclusion
We want to thank all that participated in the forum survey. There were plenty of individual suggestions that we will be looking at in an overall effort to make the forum better, more welcoming and friendlier.

The Admin Team
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Forum Survey Results

Post by Robotaz »

It’s a very friendly forum, in my opinion, but I think people using first names of members will make new people feel that they’re outsiders. I don’t mind it, but it crossed my mind reading the stats.

I don’t recall ever noticing a political post on here. Maybe I just have thick skin.

I do agree that the forum is a little stuffy. I think it has to do with the age, education, etc. of the forum members. The only recommendation I’d have for others is to remember not everyone is well-spoken behind a keyboard and that generally people come here to learn. We should be accommodating of that and welcome the newbs. We were all newbs once, and in many ways still are.

@robotazky
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Forum Survey Results

Post by Mikkei4 »

Robotaz wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:17 pm It’s a very friendly forum, in my opinion, but I think people using first names of members will make new people feel that they’re outsiders. I don’t mind it, but it crossed my mind reading the stats.

@robotazky
An alternative way of thinking about members using first names is "Oh, this is a friendly Forum as people are on first name terms". Depends if you're a glass half full or half empty person I suppose?
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

I have to say I have not really noticed a great deal of negativity, constructive criticism for sure but black negativity? I don't think so.

It is also true that in the last few years people have become much more easily offended, but I stop short of suggesting a "forum safe space"!
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Thanks for the feedback Kip. Interesting read.

Whilst I don’t want to come across as having a moan, I do think that the results are somewhat skewed by all the ill-informed newbies that took part. This very topic was only being discussed by my small band of very close buddies Pete, John, Clive & Petunia, the other day!

As for being snobby? We fully appreciate that you couldn’t all have been schooled at Eton. Anyway, we wouldn’t have wanted most of you there if I’m honest!

Regards
Alginon Cuthbert Percival (Percy to my inner circle) Smythe. :D
Steve.
Bounce
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Bounce »

Personally I don't think there is a lot of moaning etc on here, certainly no worse than other forums I belong to.
I do appreciate everything the admin team do though, as without you guys the forum would not operate.
Panerai Luminor GMT.
Omega Speedmaster Professional.
Tudor Pepsi GMT.
Tudor Harrods BB
Bremont ALT1 World Timer
C60 Trident MK3 GMT.
C60 Trident MK3 Tide.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes

Post by scooter »

75% strongly dislike the moaning, bitching, back biting, bickering, passive aggressive behaviour, self-indulgent opinions, the clique and, most notably, CW logo comments and discussions.

100% agree with that.

Now then, what shall we talk about avoiding the above and the pointless posts, CW service and sales?

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

^^^Sex?

But that would require a rule change? :lol:
Steve.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

scooter wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:13 pm 75% strongly dislike the moaning, bitching, back biting, bickering, passive aggressive behaviour, self-indulgent opinions, the clique and, most notably, CW logo comments and discussions.

100% agree with that.

Now then, what shall we talk about avoiding the above and the pointless posts, CW service and sales?

scooter
Could somebody lead me to a pointless post please and who is to decide whether a post is pointless or not?
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes

Post by scooter »

You mean apart from the 29879 posts in the 'Use Three Words Only' thread?

I am happy to self nominate my post this afternoon in the L*g* thread.
scooter wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:10 pm I never go anywhere without my Lidl branded plastic carrier bag.
scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

scooter wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:33 pm You mean apart from the 29879 posts in the 'Use Three Words Only' thread?

I am happy to self nominate my post this afternoon in the L*g* thread.
scooter wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:10 pm I never go anywhere without my Lidl branded plastic carrier bag.
scooter
Very useful posts about Lidl carrier bags though scooter, as I found out they were as good as the Aldi ones I use and so worth a try in the future :D
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Heres my observations, like it or not :D

Political discussions? I must have missed those! 'No slagging off celebrity endorsements'??? Why? If somebody doesn't like a brands ambassador etc.. then they have a right to say so, it is watch related. The biggest problem is that the world is full of snowflakes these days that get offended about everything, not just for themselves either. Plenty of 'do gooders' about that bleat that somebody somewhere may get offended by that. Typical of everything nowadays, the minority crackpots always seem to win. Pointless posts? What may be pointless for one may be very relevant to another, so who judges that one? Negativity is the one that makes me laugh the most; its normally new posters that are the most negative, creating an account just to start having a moan about something and then p1551ng off! Photo attachment has never been easier, not anyones elses fault that people can't be bothered to search for that information, it was relayed when it changed, and the details are there if people can be bothered to look for it. Another modern world problem - expect everyone else to do things for you! I agree it can be a little snobby at times, and that some things should just be left by mods, we are all adults and should be able to fight our own battles. There is a line, obviously, but that line does need moving a little.

I'll now go get my tin hat in case anyones offended! :lol:
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

TigerChris wrote:Heres my observations, like it or not :D

Political discussions? I must have missed those! 'No slagging off celebrity endorsements'??? Why? If somebody doesn't like a brands ambassador etc.. then they have a right to say so, it is watch related. The biggest problem is that the world is full of snowflakes these days that get offended about everything, not just for themselves either. Plenty of 'do gooders' about that bleat that somebody somewhere may get offended by that. Typical of everything nowadays, the minority crackpots always seem to win. Pointless posts? What may be pointless for one may be very relevant to another, so who judges that one? Negativity is the one that makes me laugh the most; its normally new posters that are the most negative, creating an account just to start having a moan about something and then p1551ng off! Photo attachment has never been easier, not anyones elses fault that people can't be bothered to search for that information, it was relayed when it changed, and the details are there if people can be bothered to look for it. Another modern world problem - expect everyone else to do things for you! I agree it can be a little snobby at times, and that some things should just be left by mods, we are all adults and should be able to fight our own battles. There is a line, obviously, but that line does need moving a little.

I'll now go get my tin hat in case anyones offended! Image
Agree.

We are all adults here, so let's just open it up, discuss what people want to discuss, (including politics and any other real world topics that crop up) if it gets out of hand then the mods can then step in..... Exactly what they are here for.

At the moment, it is all a tad insipid and humdrum in here.

Somewhere between Mary Poppins and a bear pit would be a good start.

So long as the title is accurate, anyone offended by, or not wishing to participate in, a particular topic can simply ignore it. (Or open it anyway, suck it up, get stuck in and enjoy)

One of the huge positives of the forum is to be able to have a discussion whereas one of the huge positives of FB is the quick fire conversation.

Room for both, now let's just get a bit of life and fun back into the old place and stop taking it so seriously.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

smegwina wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:05 pm
TigerChris wrote:Heres my observations, like it or not :D

I'll now go get my tin hat in case anyones offended! Image
Agree.

We are all adults here, so let's just open it up, discuss what people want to discuss, (including politics and any other real world topics that crop up) if it gets out of hand then the mods can then step in..... Exactly what they are here for.

At the moment, it is all a tad insipid and humdrum in here.

Somewhere between Mary Poppins and a bear pit would be a good start.

So long as the title is accurate, anyone offended by, or not wishing to participate in, a particular topic can simply ignore it. (Or open it anyway, suck it up, get stuck in and enjoy)

One of the huge positives of the forum is to be able to have a discussion whereas one of the huge positives of FB is the quick fire conversation.

Room for both, now let's just get a bit of life and fun back into the old place and stop taking it so seriously.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk
I'm starting to get a little worried, Nick, that I find myself agreeing more and more with a southern public schoolboy rah rah fan! Whats happening in the world?! :lol: :lol:
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

Couldn’t of put it better myself,Chris :thumbup:
And thanks for the feedback Kip...looking forward to reading the reply’s that will be coming our way :D