32%

Total votes: 141

Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: Logo at 9 o'clock poll

Post by Caller »

I think it's all a load of hype really to keep the brands name in the limelight. No-one disputes quality, value, whatever, but wherever one of their watches is shown, you can be as sure as night follows day, that so will a dispute about the branding.

What is also evident from other forums, is that of those who buy CW, 90+% is at a sale time. I'm really not sure how important it is for CW to try and increase sales at the original prise, bearing in mind that most WIS normally expect a discount, from whatever brand they purchase.
'Tis me
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

0uatiOW wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:56 pm
Mikkei4 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:37 am ... they will be looking at producing a C65 Chrono. Hopefully the sub-dial locations on this, when it's designed, will be such that placement of the CW name can only be centre justified at 12. I'd then buy 1 in blue.
If the C65 Chrono uses the Valjoux / ETA 7750 like other CW Chronos (not sure how true that is back through time, certainly the C7 had one of these inside), the typical layout shows registers at 6, 9 & 12, which would leave only 3 for a logo. If they put a date, then placement becomes even more challenging, leaving little room for the current workmark. A Twin Flags logo could work though, as I think it does on the C7.
I don't know too much about various movements and their size but as far as I know the Valjoux is a bit thick isn't it? A bit assumption here by me but IF CW wanted to keep the thickness of a C65 Chrono to that of the Diver and Auto would the 7750 fit into the present case?

I'm hoping for a 3, 6, 9 chrono.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Mikkei4 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:57 pm
Mikkei4 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:37 am ... they will be looking at producing a C65 Chrono. Hopefully the sub-dial locations on this, when it's designed, will be such that placement of the CW name can only be centre justified at 12. I'd then buy 1 in blue.
If the C65 Chrono uses the Valjoux / ETA 7750 like other CW Chronos (not sure how true that is back through time, certainly the C7 had one of these inside), the typical layout shows registers at 6, 9 & 12, which would leave only 3 for a logo. If they put a date, then placement becomes even more challenging, leaving little room for the current workmark. A Twin Flags logo could work though, as I think it does on the C7.
I don't know too much about various movements and their size but as far as I know the Valjoux is a bit thick isn't it? A bit assumption here by me but IF CW wanted to keep the thickness of a C65 Chrono to that of the Diver and Auto would the 7750 fit into the present case?

I can’t see a 7750 fitting into that case, but I may be wrong. Would you need to use a Chronograph module on an ETA/Selita do you think?
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

Mikkei4 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:57 pm

Fair point. The 7750 is 7.9mm thick according to the specs, and the C7 is 14.3mm, against the C65 at 11.something, so either the movement or the case will need to change. What excites me about CW in the past year or two is that they seem to be launching really interesting pieces at regular intervals, and right now is no exception.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Logo at 9 o'clock poll

Post by gaf1958 »

0uatiOW wrote:Fair point. The 7750 is 7.9mm thick according to the specs, and the C7 is 14.3mm, against the C65 at 11.something, so either the movement or the case will need to change. What excites me about CW in the past year or two is that they seem to be launching really interesting pieces at regular intervals, and right now is no exception.
They may use the ETA 2894-2 movement which is only 6.1mm thick. It’s available in 369 layout or 3&9 bicompax layout. I have one in my Bell & Ross chrono and it’s surprisingly thin (just over 13mm), even with a box sapphire crystal.

CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

gaf1958 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:46 pm
0uatiOW wrote:Fair point. The 7750 is 7.9mm thick according to the specs, and the C7 is 14.3mm, against the C65 at 11.something, so either the movement or the case will need to change. What excites me about CW in the past year or two is that they seem to be launching really interesting pieces at regular intervals, and right now is no exception.
They may use the ETA 2894-2 movement which is only 6.1mm thick. It’s available in 369 layout or 3&9 bicompax layout. I have one in my Bell & Ross chrono and it’s surprisingly thin (just over 13mm), even with a box sapphire crystal.

I like that Gary. B and R do some very attractive watches I think.
Jasemh
Senior
Senior

Post by Jasemh »

They should have stuck with the original logo/name from their first cw watches.

I don’t get why they keep changing the logo/name/position

For one you end up with an “old model” watch

Most of the worlds biggest brands never change their name or logo as its makes them instantly recognisable

Rolls Royce, mcdonalds , apple , etc etc .

I think any logo/name should be at 12 as thats where most watches have them so it seems right
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

Jasemh wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:11 pm

Most of the worlds biggest brands never change their name or logo as its makes them instantly recognisable

Apple have changed their logo at least 5 times.
OK, it's still an apple, but different colours.

Rolls Royce have changed their RR logo, even if the changes to the font are quite subtle.

McJacker have changed their golden arches logo around quite a few times.

Even Rolex changed their crown logo!

No changes as big as CW, but changes nevertheless.
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
Jasemh
Senior
Senior

Post by Jasemh »

hughesyn wrote:
Jasemh wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:11 pm

Apple have changed their logo at least 5 times.
OK, it's still an apple, but different colours.

Rolls Royce have changed their RR logo, even if the changes to the font are quite subtle.

McJacker have changed their golden arches logo around quite a few times.

Even Rolex changed their crown logo!

No changes as big as CW, but changes nevertheless.
Exactly, No changes as big as CW,

Maybe a font/logo tweak/refresh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jasemh
Senior
Senior

Logo at 9 o'clock poll

Post by Jasemh »

hughesyn wrote:I've read through all of the 400 comments on the Urban Gentry YouTube review of the C65 Trident GMT.

It's subjective of course, but I've categorised the comments along the same lines as the 4 options in this poll.
To try to be fair, anyone who said they really loved the watch I put as a lover of 9 o'clock, even if they didn't actually mention the logo.
Any comments that were generally positive (but didn't mention the logo) I put as ambivalent.

185 of the comments I decided were not relevant, or replies to previous comments along the same lines (trying not to double count comments by the same person).

Here's the results for the remaining 215:
Love 9 o'clock: 35 16%
Ambivalent: 84 39%
Would prefer not 9 o'clock: 16 7%
Hate 9 o'clock or logo: 80 37%

A lot of the negative comments were the logo itself, not just position, I need more time to split them.

I have a spreadsheet with every comment on if CW are interested with my analysis :D

It looks like broadly similar results from Facebook, this forum and YouTube comments.

New Coke 1985, BA weird tail fins, Consignia... much bigger companies have made mistakes. The question is what you do about it.

Personally I admire CW for taking a bold step and being different, but it's irritating that I have to learn to live with something that is odd for the sake of being odd in order to buy any more of their products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

I noticed recently my The North Face jacket also has an unconventional logo placement (back of right shoulder). Makes me wonder what other companies have adopted similar, non-conformist, brand placement (perhaps a topic for a new thread).
IMG_0606.jpeg
Best regards,
John
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Robotaz »

Bident wrote:I noticed recently my The North Face jacket also has an unconventional logo placement (back of right shoulder). Makes me wonder what other companies have adopted similar, non-conformist, brand placement (perhaps a topic for a new thread).
IMG_0606.jpeg
My company logo:

@robotazky
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Bident wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:06 am I noticed recently my The North Face jacket also has an unconventional logo placement (back of right shoulder). Makes me wonder what other companies have adopted similar, non-conformist, brand placement (perhaps a topic for a new thread).

IMG_0606.jpeg
Perhaps indeed a new thread.

I have one or two North Face items, and I belong to a Camino de Santiago pilgrimage group on Facebook which often discusses clothing and equipment. Funny thing, but neither there nor on the Camino itself have I encountered anyone worrying about the logos on their fleeces, beanies, trousers and rain jackets. We just wear them. :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:35 am

Perhaps indeed a new thread.

I have one or two North Face items, and I belong to a Camino de Santiago pilgrimage group on Facebook which often discusses clothing and equipment. Funny thing, but neither there nor on the Camino itself have I encountered anyone worrying about the logos on their fleeces, beanies, trousers and rain jackets. We just wear them. :D
That’s because these are ‘tools’ rather than fashion items and those of us that buy them for their capabilities, only use the logo as an indicator of its capabilities, rather than as a statement of “look what I’m wearing. :thumbup:
Steve.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Bident wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:06 am I noticed recently my The North Face jacket also has an unconventional logo placement (back of right shoulder). Makes me wonder what other companies have adopted similar, non-conformist, brand placement (perhaps a topic for a new thread).
But it also has the same logo on the front so it's not wholly dependant upon an unusually placed logo. I doubt they'd consider removing the front one and completely rely on the rear logo?