Molan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Re: Logo at 9 o'clock poll

Post by Molan »

H0rati0 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:41 pm
Molan wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:23 pm
Interest? A large measure of derision if you trawl the watch forums - their most likely customers I would submit - offset by recognition of their products. They get panned mercilessly for their branding attempts while being recognised for their quality, complications and VFM. I have emphasized in every one of my posts in this thread that I discount the forum's opinion, though that is now at 36% hate.
You do realise that the vast majority of watch buyers have never looked at a watch forum in their lives?

This entire thread is a perfect example - a supposedly hot topic that fires people up and polarises opinion like no other.

Yet only 104 people can actually be bothered to register their opinion!

It’s laughable quite how self-important so many enthusiast forums are despite the fact that their active user bases are tiny.

It’s no wonder that most manufacturers steer well clear of engaging with them. . .
About 6 Christopher Wards, Omega, Tudor, Halios, Breitling, Bremont, Rado, TAG Heuer, Nomos, Hamilton, Sternglas
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

Again, that may be true for watches from manufacturers with their wide availability in store. Not so for online only retailers. Not laughable at all to assume that people will look online for review of an unknown product IMO.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Molan wrote:Yet only 104 people can actually be bothered to register their opinion!
The funny thing is Barrie, that even though the forum is well into 5 digits for membership, there are only about 100 odd members who are active from day to day on the forum. The makeup of that 100 odd changes with time, but it does mean that most of the currently active members have voted. Make of it what you will, but the vote is unlikely to get much higher...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I thought that I had kept up with this thread, but somehow I missed the vast swath of posts from Saturday, that followed Phil’s submission. :shock:

Only noticed this morning when I saw a post from scooter.

Amongst the good responses that followed on Saturday were many in the comedy gold category. Some of the posts trying to spin the numbers before them, must have been tongue in cheek, rather than an attempt at a rational interpretation. :lol:

Mind you If they were serious, it looks like cognitive dissonance in action! :D

Out of interest did the folk that selected “Ambivalent - 9, 12 or other o’clock doesn’t bother me” do so because:

a) they were ambivalent, or
b) because it didn’t bother them

a) and b) are not the same....... :problem:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
mibby
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by mibby »

I dislike the logo placement, but it isn't a huge issue for me.

There are plenty of other watch brands. I'll buy those.
CWL 2015 FLE, C8 Pilot, C80 Sector; C65 SC; Rolex (5); Omega (4); Tudor (2); Zenith; Breguet; Breitling; Seiko; Vostok (22); Strela; Poljot; Raketa; Sturmanskie; Sea-Gull (2); Universal; Oris; Roamer; Avia; Tissot
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Logo at 9 o'clock poll

Post by Robotaz »

mibby wrote:I dislike the logo placement, but it isn't a huge issue for me.

There are plenty of other watch brands. I'll buy those.
lol, thanks for that.

What constitutes a good logo with good placement in your book? Just curious.

@robotazky
mibby
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by mibby »

I was happy with both the V1 and V2 logos, I have one of each. I can just about cope with the comedy font, but the asymmetric placement and the big empty space below 12 does my head in.
CWL 2015 FLE, C8 Pilot, C80 Sector; C65 SC; Rolex (5); Omega (4); Tudor (2); Zenith; Breguet; Breitling; Seiko; Vostok (22); Strela; Poljot; Raketa; Sturmanskie; Sea-Gull (2); Universal; Oris; Roamer; Avia; Tissot
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

nbg wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:38 pm
Out of interest did the folk that selected “Ambivalent - 9, 12 or other o’clock doesn’t bother me” do so because:

a) they were ambivalent, or
b) because it didn’t bother them

a) and b) are not the same....... :problem:

Neil
Indifferent would probably have been a more literally correct term but I think we got the drift of those voting for that option :)
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Molan wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:21 pm
H0rati0 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:41 pm
Molan wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:23 pm
Interest? A large measure of derision if you trawl the watch forums - their most likely customers I would submit - offset by recognition of their products. They get panned mercilessly for their branding attempts while being recognised for their quality, complications and VFM. I have emphasized in every one of my posts in this thread that I discount the forum's opinion, though that is now at 36% hate.
You do realise that the vast majority of watch buyers have never looked at a watch forum in their lives?

This entire thread is a perfect example - a supposedly hot topic that fires people up and polarises opinion like no other.

Yet only 104 people can actually be bothered to register their opinion!

It’s laughable quite how self-important so many enthusiast forums are despite the fact that their active user bases are tiny.

It’s no wonder that most manufacturers steer well clear of engaging with them. . .
The vast majority of watch buyers do not spend £1000+ on a watch.

I would surmise that most of those that do, do at least some research? If that research is done even partly on line they will trawl up hits for watch forum threads.

Why are the opinions here self important? The people on this forum are here to exchange opinions (maybe they have to be self important enough to have an opinion, but hardly unusual) and those opinions are respected and discussed openly on the whole.

Personally I just find it interesting - as I voted, I may not see the branding as optimum but that would not stop me buying a watch that fits my criteria.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by PaulJS »

^^^ Good point about researching the brand at this price point - CW even tell potential customers to do their research!

Prior to buying my first CW ( a Trident Pro ) I had a good look through the forum to see what the overall impression was from existing owners. However, back then ( early 2015 ) this was a pretty positive place and gave off a vibe of largely being a very contented band of enthusiasts.

There is quite a bit more negativity about now, a lot of which is focused on the branding.....But, while I would take on board forum comments about quality of product, reliability, customer service etc, I am not sure that negative overtures about the aesthetics would have swayed me as I would already have made my mind up whether I liked the look before I bothered to do any further digging.

Having said that, I do think that the level of negativity over the branding gives the forum a different flavour that can only diminish the product in the eyes of a potential buyer.

The problem is that if you are of the view that you dislike the branding ( hands up to this here ) it is very hard not to lament the fact that here is yet another great watch that you would have bought if only....etc, etc.

This is a subject going in ever decreasing circles and, as has been said, CW are not going to do a sudden U Turn after all this time. In common with some others on here I think we will see a gradual drift back to more conventional placement in a similar way that the twin flags have crept into being alongside the name as a more prominent feature of the brand.

I hope this happens as I am not using the branding as a good excuse not to buy, but rather I am in the camp of actively seeking ways of liking the branding so that I can buy a couple of models that really appeal!
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

The latest Loupe dropped thru my letter box this morning and I've had a quick flip through it and noticed a picture of an IWC on page 45 that shows IMO how to cope with words and brand names of differing lengths.

To my eyes and brain this is an attractive dial face with various fonts, various letter sizes and 2 sub dials mainly I think because the words are made to fit the same length at 9 and centre justified at 3, giving an overall balance to the dial.

While reading about the C65 Auto there's a comment on page 19 where Mike France says they will be looking at producing a C65 Chrono. Hopefully the sub-dial locations on this, when it's designed, will be such that placement of the CW name can only be centre justified at 12. I'd then buy 1 in blue.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

PaulJS wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:24 am ^^^ Good point about researching the brand at this price point - CW even tell potential customers to do their research!

Prior to buying my first CW ( a Trident Pro ) I had a good look through the forum to see what the overall impression was from existing owners. However, back then ( early 2015 ) this was a pretty positive place and gave off a vibe of largely being a very contented band of enthusiasts.

There is quite a bit more negativity about now, a lot of which is focused on the branding.....But, while I would take on board forum comments about quality of product, reliability, customer service etc, I am not sure that negative overtures about the aesthetics would have swayed me as I would already have made my mind up whether I liked the look before I bothered to do any further digging.

Having said that, I do think that the level of negativity over the branding gives the forum a different flavour that can only diminish the product in the eyes of a potential buyer.

The problem is that if you are of the view that you dislike the branding ( hands up to this here ) it is very hard not to lament the fact that here is yet another great watch that you would have bought if only....etc, etc.

This is a subject going in ever decreasing circles and, as has been said, CW are not going to do a sudden U Turn after all this time. In common with some others on here I think we will see a gradual drift back to more conventional placement in a similar way that the twin flags have crept into being alongside the name as a more prominent feature of the brand.

I hope this happens as I am not using the branding as a good excuse not to buy, but rather I am in the camp of actively seeking ways of liking the branding so that I can buy a couple of models that really appeal!
I like to think we are still a pretty contented band of enthusiasts!

Ok, we have a few gripes and I agree negativity has increased, but I regard that as a phase - we'll get over it.

It does disappoint me somewhat that some forumites are so opposed to the branding that it would stop them purchasing a CW they would otherwise buy, but so be it.

While I am not in that camp, I too think (and hope) that the branding elements will settle down and drift towards something more conventional, more acceptable to the vast majority of "antis" - We have already had the "official" denial!
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

Mikkei4 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:37 am ... they will be looking at producing a C65 Chrono. Hopefully the sub-dial locations on this, when it's designed, will be such that placement of the CW name can only be centre justified at 12. I'd then buy 1 in blue.
If the C65 Chrono uses the Valjoux / ETA 7750 like other CW Chronos (not sure how true that is back through time, certainly the C7 had one of these inside), the typical layout shows registers at 6, 9 & 12, which would leave only 3 for a logo. If they put a date, then placement becomes even more challenging, leaving little room for the current workmark. A Twin Flags logo could work though, as I think it does on the C7.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

I've read through all of the 400 comments on the Urban Gentry YouTube review of the C65 Trident GMT.

It's subjective of course, but I've categorised the comments along the same lines as the 4 options in this poll.
To try to be fair, anyone who said they really loved the watch I put as a lover of 9 o'clock, even if they didn't actually mention the logo.
Any comments that were generally positive (but didn't mention the logo) I put as ambivalent.

185 of the comments I decided were not relevant, or replies to previous comments along the same lines (trying not to double count comments by the same person).

Here's the results for the remaining 215:
Love 9 o'clock: 35 16%
Ambivalent: 84 39%
Would prefer not 9 o'clock: 16 7%
Hate 9 o'clock or logo: 80 37%

A lot of the negative comments were the logo itself, not just position, I need more time to split them.

I have a spreadsheet with every comment on if CW are interested with my analysis :D

It looks like broadly similar results from Facebook, this forum and YouTube comments.

New Coke 1985, BA weird tail fins, Consignia... much bigger companies have made mistakes. The question is what you do about it.

Personally I admire CW for taking a bold step and being different, but it's irritating that I have to learn to live with something that is odd for the sake of being odd in order to buy any more of their products.
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

^^^^
Thanks for the effort, that really steps it up.

So, I guess the only remaining issue to be nailed is: do hipsters (if they even exist as a glutinous mass) rush out to buy "disruptively" branded expensive watches without doing any other research/comparison? :wink: