32%

Total votes: 141

Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Logo at 9 o'clock poll

Post by Mikkei4 »

FloridaPhil wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:58 pm As small as the sample here is, it's what we have to work with so that's all we can comment on.....

Maybe the poll here is meaningless but I've voted with my watch budget and it's my guess that many others have too.
Yes I have and will continue to vote with my watch budget and I've been to the Showroom and I bought the 2017 FLE that has the logo at 9 but don't wear it.
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by srs1286 »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:00 pm
srs1286 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:44 pm
Mikkei4 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:32 pm

What makes you think that none or only a few of those that voted "hate" have actually handled any of the watches with the logo/9o'clock placement? I haven't seen that asked anywhere or stated.
The obvious answer would be that CW is an online company so unless you visit the showroom you would’ve had to buy to handle the new logo. Being that the category says you’d never buy a CW with new logo so how would you have handled it?
And how can you state with pure conviction that they haven't been to the showroom prior to this poll and can thus state that they won't buy based on that or that they haven't seen or tried their mate's CW new logo'd watch. Again that hasn't been asked in the poll so to massage the percentages is unfounded.
Did I say anything with pure conviction or am I simply proposing an alternate viewpoint with a hint of logic based on the information provided to me? It’s the weekend. Kick your feet up Mikkei
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Robotaz »

Mikkei4 wrote:
FloridaPhil wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:58 pm As small as the sample here is, it's what we have to work with so that's all we can comment on.....

Maybe the poll here is meaningless but I've voted with my watch budget and it's my guess that many others have too.
Yes I have and will continue to vote with my watch budget and I've been to the Showroom and I bought the 2017 FLE that has the logo at 9 but don't wear it.

May I recommend that you flip the FLE you don’t wear? Sounds to me like you’d be happier and could fund something else that you’ll love.

@robotazky
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Speaking as a marketing guy, I would not want my branding to actively put so many potential customers off my product to anything like the extent that CW's current branding does. Once again I reiterate I am not talking about forumites (who one would expect to have strong and probably conservative opinions) it is the large quantity of unsolicited negative reactions that one trips over abroad eg the Urban Gentry review comments that would worry me.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Robotaz wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:54 pm
Mikkei4 wrote:

May I recommend that you flip the FLE you don’t wear? Sounds to me like you’d be happier and could fund something else that you’ll love.

@robotazky
I've already said I would in a previous post (can't remember if it's on this thread or another). Ad is drafted, need to take some photos but been too busy.
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Robotaz »

Mikkei4 wrote:
Robotaz wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:54 pm
Mikkei4 wrote: Yes I have and will continue to vote with my watch budget and I've been to the Showroom and I bought the 2017 FLE that has the logo at 9 but don't wear it.

@robotazky
I've already said I would in a previous post (can't remember if it's on this thread or another). Ad is drafted, need to take some photos but been too busy.
Ah. Good luck with the sale!

@robotazky
Molan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Molan »

H0rati0 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:05 pm Speaking as a marketing guy, I would not want my branding to actively put so many potential customers off my product to anything like the extent that CW's current branding does. Once again I reiterate I am not talking about forumites (who one would expect to have strong and probably conservative opinions) it is the large quantity of unsolicited negative reactions that one trips over abroad eg the Urban Gentry review comments that would worry me.
Speaking as another marketing guy I’m not sure I agree.

Many people have experimented with brand positioning that polarises potential customers. Nike is a prime recent example with the Kapaernick campaign.

Building a confident brand that’s prepared to make a statement is always better than a bland conformist product that churns out mediocre stuff that nobody cares about.

In CW’s case they seem to have managed to generate a lot of interest in their brand device (it’s not a logo of course) and I can’t imagine when the brand was launched there were people lining up to discuss how amazing their name representation was on the watch face.

Sample of users here and people prepared to read online reviews is tiny compared to their total customer change in on-product doesn’t seem to have harmed their overall sales base and they appear to be growing and increasing their brand presence in the mainstream market (witness the fact that they could afford relatively ‘mass market’ out of home advertising pre-Xmas.
About 6 Christopher Wards, Omega, Tudor, Halios, Breitling, Bremont, Rado, TAG Heuer, Nomos, Hamilton, Sternglas
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

Molan wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:23 pm
Sample of users here and people prepared to read online reviews is tiny compared to their total customer change in on-product doesn’t seem to have harmed their overall sales base and they appear to be growing and increasing their brand presence in the mainstream market (witness the fact that they could afford relatively ‘mass market’ out of home advertising pre-Xmas.
I would have to dispute that comment.

As an internet sales only brand, CW generates little 'passing traffic' and likely little word of mouth buzz since so few of the watch owning public actually own one or have seen one in real life. Therefore, it follows that online reviews, and the comments made, form the majority of pre-sale intelligence.

Again, how many MORE watches might they have sold without an unnecessarily polarizing 'device'? We'll never know.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Speaking as another marketing guy I’m not sure I agree.

Many people have experimented with brand positioning that polarises potential customers. Nike is a prime recent example with the Kapaernick campaign.

Building a confident brand that’s prepared to make a statement is always better than a bland conformist product that churns out mediocre stuff that nobody cares about.
Ok, I'll bite.

CW's directors must put up their own money, hardly comparable to Nike who ran a huge risk with their Kapaernik campaign, or now Gillette for both of whom the longer term jury is still out. But both of these are brand based mass marketing companies selling relatively undifferentiated commodity product through multiple channels - hardly comparable to CW who have majored on building differentiated product strengths and a still "more or less" disruptive distribution model in the watch space, I say more or less because other, better established companies are now starting to play the same game.
In CW’s case they seem to have managed to generate a lot of interest in their brand device (it’s not a logo of course) and I can’t imagine when the brand was launched there were people lining up to discuss how amazing their name representation was on the watch face.
Interest? A large measure of derision if you trawl the watch forums - their most likely customers I would submit - offset by recognition of their products. They get panned mercilessly for their branding attempts while being recognised for their quality, complications and VFM. I have emphasized in every one of my posts in this thread that I discount the forum's opinion, though that is now at 36% hate - from product enthusiasts!
We don't know what CW's sale base and its progress (or lack of it) is as revenues are not disclosed, but CW are losing money and those losses have been growing if you examine their publicly filed accounts. I would submit that they cannot "afford" mass marketing - but full marks for fronting up the investment and trying.

Of course, CW may be happy to leave knowledgeable buyers behind in the hope of cracking a mass market, but even Seiko take a lot of time to cater to those people.

Finally, it's ok we all pays our money and takes our choices. I won't lose any sleep if I can't commit myself to buy CW product (though I voted I would probably buy despite) there are plenty of other possibilities out there, but I do hope they find their path.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

One of the problems with this forum is that, despite owning it, the company doesn't interact with it.

This is in contrast with blogs and forums of many other companies like fintechs.

The discussion on this thread is all speculation and there will be no input from CW, so it all becomes a bit pointless.
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

hughesyn wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:48 pm One of the problems with this forum is that, despite owning it, the company doesn't interact with it.

This is in contrast with blogs and forums of many other companies like fintechs.

The discussion on this thread is all speculation and there will be no input from CW, so it all becomes a bit pointless.
CW may own the forum, and provide the hosting server and technical support, BUT the forum was originally Independent and CW wish it to remain that way.

If CW were to start providing input into the forum, there are those who would no doubt immediately leap up and down to say that the forum was no longer independent.

Catch 22? :problem:

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

These incessant threads about the logo and it’s placement have gotten so tiresome. Can we all just agree it’s a polarizing issue with everyone dug in behind their firmly held positions, and just call it a day?

Really, how much more can be said on this topic? As for me, I’m passing these topics by from now on.

Maybe I should move this to the curmudgeons corner?

EDITED TO ADD:
I just hope I’m able to add the C65 auto & GMT to my collection before either:
a) the company goes belly up from a horrific branding mistake that cost them customers,
- or -
b) the disruptive rebranding strikes a cord with hipsters and social influencers, driving up prices to ridiculous levels beyond my reach (see the Rolex thread for reference)

^^^^ tongue planted firmly in cheek with that
Drew
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:41 pm These incessant threads about the logo and it’s placement have gotten so tiresome. Can we all just agree it’s a polarizing issue with everyone dug in behind their firmly held positions, and just call it a day?

Really, how much more can be said on this topic? As for me, I’m passing these topics by from now on.

All the posts in this thread so far have been conducted in a balanced manner, without ranting. Not sure why that would be a problem to anyone?

However as you say, it’s easy enough to ignore topics/threads that don’t hold any interest, it’s what I do. :)
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

nbg wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:51 pm
jkbarnes wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:41 pm These incessant threads about the logo and it’s placement have gotten so tiresome. Can we all just agree it’s a polarizing issue with everyone dug in behind their firmly held positions, and just call it a day?

All the posts in this thread so far have been conducted in a balanced manner, without ranting. Not sure why that would be a problem to anyone?

However as you say, it’s easy enough to ignore topics/threads that don’t hold any interest, it’s what I do. :)
I wasn’t trying to suggest that anyone is ranting at all. My apologies if it came off that way. The discussion has all been quite civil. Buts it’s nothing I haven’t read before in what seems like a million other threads. That’s all I meant. How much more is there to say on this topic?
Drew
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

We all like the brand.
VFM, quality builds and some very nice designs. We’ll all have to agree to disagree on the placement. :D.

But, I wouldn’t mind placing a small bet that the logo will move, dunno when, to 12 o’clock. Same font, full name.
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue