C60 Trident Pro COSC not auto winding.

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
ChrisMin

C60 Trident Pro COSC not auto winding.

Post by ChrisMin »

Lately my watch has stopped whilst being 'wound' in a Picollo winder. I wear the watch at weekend and place in the winder during the week. To test I have fully wound the watch by hand and then placed in the winder on programme D (bi-directional). The watch has stopped after approximately 1 1/2 days and I can confirm that the winder is operating. I am currently doing a timed test but it looks like the watch is stopping when the manual wind is exhausted. Has anyone else had this problem with 'automatic' watches? The watch is approximately 14 months old (It's the limited edition COSC date, with red second hand and red pip on the bezel). It has had relatively light wear and also no abnormal knocks/shocks.

Does this sound like a back to CW? If so I am not at all happy.

Thanks.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: C60 Trident Pro COSC not auto winding.

Post by Thegreyman »

If you wear the watch all weekend, does it stop whilst being worn? If it doesn't that presuambly are fully manually winding it before wearing and then wearing for less than the power reserve duration(42 hours or so iirc)?

I don't use a winder myself but if it not self winding whilst on the wrist, then clearly it will need to be sent back to CW. You may not be happy with that but then at least CW have a 5 year movement guarantee which you can't say for many brands e.g. the new Panerai I recently bought has only a 2 year guarantee and cost "slightly" more than a Trident.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

I'd wait for it to stop, then wear it without hand winding it and see if it starts ticking. It may be the rotation of the winder isn't suitable, or the watch needs attention.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Patrick (Thegreyman) makes a good point, does it stop while being worn?

Try shaking the watch next to your ear, do you hear the rotor turning?

Once it has stopped, a few shakes should get it running again if it is winding albeit only for a short while. Wearing it for a few hours (depending on activity level) should wind it fully ie approx 40 hours depending on which movement you have.

As Chris implies, many winders are useless and do not wind the watch, so be sceptical there - I have personal experience!

If it is not winding then it will be a trip back to CW, more's the pity so I hope that is not the case.

best of luck

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

I’ve just sent my 2 month old C1 GMPR COSC back for the same problem. Hand winded ok, lasted 5 days then stopped even when worn everyday.
I know it wasn’t self winding because it has a power indicator on the disk and it only went one way.....losing power. :thumbdown:

Went back 2 weeks ago. Mine has the in-house SH21 movement. Perhaps it’s an inherent problem with them?? :-k
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

It is faulty, send it back to CW for a repair under 60/60.

I had a Typhoon for a month, and it stopped on the winder, but seemed fine on the wrist. Winders (decent ones, and IIRC yours is one they sell, so they should put faith in it) are designed to simulate wear, not perfectly but pretty effectively in my experience). Without checking, I’m assuming the C60 COSC has a Sellita SW200, so bi-directional would be correct.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Clach77
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Clach77 »

Essex Paul wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:53 pm I’ve just sent my 2 month old C1 GMPR COSC back for the same problem. Hand winded ok, lasted 5 days then stopped even when worn everyday.
I know it wasn’t self winding because it has a power indicator on the disk and it only went one way.....losing power. :thumbdown:

Went back 2 weeks ago. Mine has the in-house SH21 movement. Perhaps it’s an inherent problem with them?? :-k
The OP’s watch doesn’t have an SH21 in it, so it many have a similar symptoms, but it’s not a related problem.
Trying not to buy any more watches...
ChrisMin

Post by ChrisMin »

Update. I gave the watch a 30 turn wind on Thursday morning. It spent Thursday and friday in the winder and i have worn it both days over the weekend. I am happy to report that it is still going. Not sure why the watch stopped but I guess it's the vagueries of winders.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

ChrisMin wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:16 pm Update. I gave the watch a 30 turn wind on Thursday morning. It spent Thursday and friday in the winder and i have worn it both days over the weekend. I am happy to report that it is still going. Not sure why the watch stopped but I guess it's the vagueries of winders.
Good to hear! Obviously one fo those watches that likes to be worn.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
ChrisMin

Post by ChrisMin »

I spoke too soon. The watch stopped on my wrist at 22:30 on Sunday evening. I suspect this means that the rotor is not rotating as freely as it should. I have had it up to my ear and I can hear some movement but clearly something is amiss. Back to CW we go!!
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Oops. Sorry to hear. I'm sure CW will sort it for you.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

ChrisMin wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:47 pm I spoke too soon. The watch stopped on my wrist at 22:30 on Sunday evening. I suspect this means that the rotor is not rotating as freely as it should. I have had it up to my ear and I can hear some movement but clearly something is amiss. Back to CW we go!!
Oh dear sorry to hear.
Got my COSC coming back for same reason (different movement though) in about 4 weeks. I’ll be gutted nay annoyed if that happened to me. :?
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue