The blue on the C65 Diver series

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

The blue on the C65 Diver series

Post by jkbarnes »

Question for those who have a C65 Vintage Diver in the blue - how blue is it, exactly? I’d really love a deep navy blue that at times almost looked black. The blue C65 Diver never struck me as that type of blue. However, in that video of the C65 Diver auto, it had that look at times.

Can some share their observations on how the blue looks out in the wild, as opposed to in photos?
Drew
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: The blue on the C65 Diver series

Post by timor54 »

It’s very different indoors vs. outdoors in my experience. Much lighter, and to me more interesting, in natural light.
A403B832-402D-4B80-B379-E47F5A1BE64B.jpeg
Tim
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

I’d say that the blue was more of a ‘petrol’ blue than anywhere near a navy blue! The dial has a hint of a metallic sheen about it too.
Steve.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Thermexman wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:11 pm I’d say that the blue was more of a ‘petrol’ blue than anywhere near a navy blue!
I had to look petrol blue up, as I’ve never heard that term. After looking it up, that appears to be the very color. I like it.

Thanks for the feedback.
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Follow up question: is the blue purely an aesthetic decision, or is there a vintage connection to the color? For example, did black dials fade over time to a blueish color? Or was blue simply a common and popular color on dive watches back in the 60s?
Drew
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

If you googly “blue dial vintage dive watches”, and look at the ‘images’ tab, you’ll find blue dials in the mix. I’d wager that the choice of blue is more about offering a blue dial, than representing faux patina. There’s some lovely examples on that page!

For example:

Steve.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

jkbarnes wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:29 pm Follow up question: is the blue purely an aesthetic decision, or is there a vintage connection to the color? For example, did black dials fade over time to a blueish color? Or was blue simply a common and popular color on dive watches back in the 60s?
IIRC from seeing pictures of several old Speedmasters many old black dials lost colour and changed closer to shades of brown than blue. Not that they are divers and I don't know if this was specific to Speedmasters.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

From the various photos I'd be quite happy with that shade of CW blue but also desire a deep Navy Blue as on the Halios Abyss Blue with the Sapphire bezel or alternatively that of the Oris Aquis blue/black.
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

I think vintage divers with blue are a popular combination. For example, Baltic, a newer microbrand based in France, also offers vintage styled divers in blue (and in black and black/gilt as well).
Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 8.32.34 AM.png
Best regards,
John
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

^^ that Baltic is the dark navy and bezel that I'd like.
Unfortunately these are not currently available to order.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Mikkei4 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:18 pm ^^ that Baltic is the dark navy and bezel that I'd like
Yes! Exactly the color I really like.
Drew
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

It'd be at least a £720 purchase for me in the UK although probably more as any second tranche of supply would be more expensive than the initial pre-order batch.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

timor54 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:28 pm It’s very different indoors vs. outdoors in my experience. Much lighter, and to me more interesting, in natural light.
If you were to flatten the colour balance on the left hand picture, it might look different. That one appears to have very high saturation. Compare the skin tones on those images. I assume you didn’t go to a tanning salon?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:04 pm
timor54 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:28 pm It’s very different indoors vs. outdoors in my experience. Much lighter, and to me more interesting, in natural light.
If you were to flatten the colour balance on the left hand picture, it might look different. That one appears to have very high saturation. Compare the skin tones on those images. I assume you didn’t go to a tanning salon?
Accepted, uncorrected iphone photos. But still representative of how the colour perception varies...
Tim