Custom/Modified/Hybrid C60 Trident?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Custom/Modified/Hybrid C60 Trident?

Post by Jcalder68 »

Can anyone advise me as to how transferable parts are between models in the the C60 600 Trident family?

I have a 600 Pro Vintage version in 38mm (new logo version). I utterly adore the vintage lume, the matte dial and matte finish on the ceramic bezel. However, the stainless steel case is just that, a stainless steel case. Sure, it is a good size, made well and encases the movement securely enough for pretty much everything short of a Zombie Apocalypse, but stainless steel cases don’t really stand out from the crowd...

On the other hand, I am fixated by the bronze version. Something about that material, the way the patina develops in harmony with how you use it, and it’s inherent uniqueness, really calls to me. Unfortunately I am not drawn to the blue of the dial and it’s bezel, that’s just too much bronze for me.

So, I’m thinking of swapping the stainless steel case for a bronze one, but I’m not sure how to go about it. I’d just swap the case; I’d keep the stainless steel bezel ring, ceramic insert etc. Option one could be to buy a used bronze C60 watch and ask my friendly watch maker to swap them over, assuming parts can be transferred. Obviously, this might be pretty costly. Option two would be to ask CW to either sell me a single bronze case for the same watch maker to swap over, or ask CW to do it themselves. Again, this depends on parts transferability, the willingness for CW to sell individual parts and/or their willingness to create a hybrid.

Has anyone ever tried this sort of thing? Can parts be transferred between models? Anyone ever asked CW to mix-and-match with their watches?

Thanks

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Custom/Modified/Hybrid C60 Trident?

Post by Mikkei4 »

As far as I know CW will not sell anybody any individual parts of their watches nor will they swap parts of 1 watch onto another to create a customised watch.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

^^^I would echo what Mikki4 said.
Steve.
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by MarkingTime »

The only way to know, is to try.
I would imagine the parts to be interchangeable as long as case size matches.
The mod should be fairly straight forward though, as you will only be transplanting the entire movement and not disassembling it.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Sounds like an interesting project but you'll need two watches and a good watchmaker to disassemble and rebuild.

CW will not get involved.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

^^^^^Guy is absolutely right on both counts.

My 2p worth...
This might sound straight forward but believe me won't be!
Things to consider are the relative diameter of the inner case and what diameter movements fit (some have plastic inner shrouds to secure, others have a steel ring, some fit straight in), also the height of the movement relative to how it sits in the case and specifically the stem height, that is, where the stem fits through the case.

The above is based on the fact that I have opened a few case backs on various watches and also looked into swapping an ETA2836 to ETA2824 movement in a 40mm case.
(To clarify - not on a CW watch).
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

To confirm Guy’s advice, I’ve had it direct from CW (Wera Mettes) that the only way to do such things is to buy two complete watches and perform the swap - they will not entertain one off changes. They’re quite happy to sell you two watches, but any warranty will be voided on both watches...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jcalder68 »

Morning,
Thanks for the input for everyone. From the sounds of things I might have to put this idea in the back burner for a while. I will contact CW next week, just to check that parts can be swapped and to confirm if they will/won’t do it, but if it means buying two complete watches then that puts the price too high for me!
If it turns out that CW won’t get involved, I’m not entirely surprised - a few years back I had a red bezel C60 300 that had to go back for a re-alignment of the bezel. At the time I asked for a swap to a black bezel but was turned down. They only swap like for like. I half hoped that might be more accommodating now.
No matter, i will keep pondering and see if I can work a way around it.
Anyone fancy a steel cased C60 600 with bronze bezel and blue dial made from the leftovers?

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Jcalder68 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:46 am Morning,
Thanks for the input for everyone. From the sounds of things I might have to put this idea in the back burner for a while. I will contact CW next week, just to check that parts can be swapped and to confirm if they will/won’t do it, but if it means buying two complete watches then that puts the price too high for me!
If it turns out that CW won’t get involved, I’m not entirely surprised - a few years back I had a red bezel C60 300 that had to go back for a re-alignment of the bezel. At the time I asked for a swap to a black bezel but was turned down. They only swap like for like. I half hoped that might be more accommodating now.
No matter, i will keep pondering and see if I can work a way around it.
Anyone fancy a steel cased C60 600 with bronze bezel and blue dial made from the leftovers?

C
60/60 warranty included?
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jcalder68 »

Sorry, no. Not from me anyway.
My friendly watch maker does offer a twelve month warranty on all his work though, I would hope this would be sufficient?

On the other hand, how about a Forum Limited Edition? I’ve seen these launched in the past, with film CW backing? Anyone else up for it?

C
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Jcalder68 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:59 pm Sorry, no. Not from me anyway.
My friendly watch maker does offer a twelve month warranty on all his work though, I would hope this would be sufficient?

On the other hand, how about a Forum Limited Edition? I’ve seen these launched in the past, with film CW backing? Anyone else up for it?

C
You'll need to find at least 25 like minded people. Might be a little difficult I think.
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jcalder68 »

Ok, that’s worth bearing in mind.
I will put that in the list of questions for CW when I call them next week,

C
Andy-Smith
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 15

Post by Andy-Smith »

I have a 38mm Trident Pro which i bought second hand. It was running 37 sec slow per day. I decided to try and adjust the movement.

After a few adjustments and removing the back a few times I managed to get it running +2sec per day - great. (movement was 2824).

However I noticed that there was some dust on the white dial that I just could not leave. So I though right I will take the movement out of the case to blow out the dust.

Tools needed, set of good quality screwdrivers (A&F about £50 - a very good investment), a watch back opening tool and a pair of non magnetic tweezers (brass are good as softer than steel).

Case back off, remove winding stem (easy, depress button - see you-tube on how on 2824), remove the three screws that hold the small tabs that hold movement in place, remove retaining ring. Movement will come out. Blew out dust with photo blower. place movement back in, replace retaining ring, push stem back in, ensure movement is correctly aligned in case, add holding tabs and replace three screws. replace back - all done.

it was very straight forward. No problems and watch is perfect and running +2sec consistently.

So I think it would not be a problem to do what you wish providing you have the tools and the case fittings for both are identical. You would need to be careful not to damage the hands when movements are out, do not loose the small parts and do not let dust into the case.

Andy
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jcalder68 »

Thanks, Andy.
I was not able to call CW today, but I have a work window tomorrow and hope to try then. The big issue will be as to if the steel bezel will fit into the bronze case I think. Fingers crossed...

C