C60 Homage

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: C60 Homage

Post by 0uatiOW »

In my experience, something that seems to good to be true usually isn’t. Not saying Heimdallr watches are too good to be true - none of us knows. China’s non-existent counterfeit laws allows all sorts of things to be sold under someone else’s name, so without seeing one, it’s not even certain that they’ll contain a Seiko movement.

I’ll wait to see what Gary thinks when he gets his, if or when it comes. He’s a good judge of what’s what.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

nbg wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:37 pm Homage = Respect shown to someone or something you admire.

Ergo basically copying the C60 visual looks is, by my reckoning, not showing respect to the brand that originally designed it, therefore not an homage. :thumbdown:

The C60 on the other hand takes design clues and inspiration from one or more iconic dive watches of the past and shows respect by designing and producing a coherent good looking design of its own. :thumbup:
Let me say from the outset that I hate these copy watches based on CW.

However, I think you're skating on thin ice with your last para (unless said in jest). The design cues and inspiration i.e. deliberately copying an iconic design for their own use, for the sole purpose of helping them to sell their watch, means, as I said before, that CW are not guilt free.

I know my views on this in general, irrespective of which brand is being discussed, are only shared by a minority. But so be it.
'Tis me
Ttf23
Guru
Guru

Post by Ttf23 »

I suppose it isn’t actually that much cheaper than another Chinese produced watch powered by a Seiko auto movement that is a homage (but rather more liked on these forums).

Of course I’m talking about the Dan Henry 1970. To my mind the DH is well worth the extra USD70 as at least there is some vision, thought and originality behind the design rather than just being a blatant copy of an existing design in production, with a change in logo.
Independent buyer and seller of Christopher Ward and other watches - Ward Hoard
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Steinhart, Invicta, Parnis, Heimdallr, Squale, Alpha all produce knock-offs that are cheaper than the original. Using the word homage for these replicas is just a fancy way to make the buyer feel good so they think they are not buying a counterfeit watch.

Even though Ward uses obvious design elements from other watches, at least they don't copy entire watches like the previously mentioned companies. So yes, this Sharkey watch is just a cheap Chinese knock-off.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Back on topic, like others, I shall wait for Gary’s assessment when he’s received his
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

In a way, it's kudos to CW that they are being copied.

One step closer to being the Rolex of the internet.
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Gentlemen,

A number of posts, made in the last half hour or so, have been deleted.

Will you please keep the discussion 'on topic' and refrain from inappropriate personal comments.

Any further transgression and this topic WILL be locked.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
NotEnoughWrists
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by NotEnoughWrists »

So....are these Chinese shark watch dudes having a half price sale soon? might get me one of those orange blob things as a work beater :D
So many watches, yet still so little time!
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

Before things really go off the rails on this topic I think there's a real difference between knock offs which usually pretend to be the original (fakes) and homards :D which tend to be very close in nature or borrow a certain amount of design elements (I think some Steinhart watches are at the extreme end of the spectrum).

Having said all that I would not be surprised (which is very different from fact) if a company sold off or licensed or even created a new brand to make use of older designs that have had all their R&D paid for and are now surplus to the original brand. Think about it, a new brand with a different movement servicing a lower but lucrative end of the market with a similar but slightly aged product.

I've ordered one of these Heimdallr watches and look forward to seeing it when it eventually arrives......in late February, maybe. I don't anticpate it being one of my favourites.
Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300
Jasemh
Senior
Senior

Post by Jasemh »

NotEnoughWrists wrote:So....are these Chinese shark watch dudes having a half price sale soon? might get me one of those orange blob things as a work beater :D
Don’t blame you , at least you’ll get a decent movement instead of a cheap quartz job cw are churning out from china

Jasemh
Senior
Senior

Post by Jasemh »

hughesyn wrote:In a way, it's kudos to CW that they are being copied.

Cw are a million miles away from being rolex - sorry pal
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

Jasemh wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:50 pm

Your sarcasm detector isn't particularly strong is it?
Jasemh
Senior
Senior

Post by Jasemh »

sproughton wrote:

Your sarcasm detector isn't particularly strong is it?
No because these people on this forum are single minded and think cw is some form of god

All i said was the c60 homage was good value for money which it is , sapphire crystal, screwdown crown , good quality seiko movement less than $200

Its a good value watch regardless
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

Give it a few years, CW will be equal to Rolex.
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

^^^ for sure. jasemh, make sure you don't miss the boat and pick an auto up now whilst they're still affordable and readily available.

As hughesyn said, couple of years and CWs will be out of reach for us mere mortals!
Ryan