An appeal to the mods

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
nordwulf

Re: An appeal to the mods

Post by nordwulf »

I have been banned on several forums and even a FB group. They couldn't pay me enough if they asked me to come back. It's like a divorce. It's permanent and you should move on. Not because you're a bad person but because not everybody gets along.
Baco Noir wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:54 am we can't read PMs to monitor for that.
Forum admins can and should monitor PMs because of liability concerns.
Baco Noir
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Post by Baco Noir »

nordwulf wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:31 am I have been banned on several forums and even a FB group. They couldn't pay me enough if they asked me to come back. It's like a divorce. It's permanent and you should move on. Not because you're a bad person but because not everybody gets along.
Baco Noir wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:54 am we can't read PMs to monitor for that.
Forum admins can and should monitor PMs because of liability concerns.
Are you saying Mods can read PMs here? I know we cannot on the other forum as I actually have Admin privileges on that forum and it's not available to me.
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

It's really a bigger question about the type of forum that's wanted, which is going over old ground really. I pretty much only skim here now and from time to time something catches my attention, otherwise I'm in and out in less than 5 minutes. I have belonged to many different forums for many years and this is the only place where my views and comments are sometimes deemed so outrageous, offensive or broke the rules (one came as a surprise), that I have had posts altered or deleted. So at the end of the day, you either accept that or you don't. I find it risible, but it's up to me whether it bothers me so much, that I will either end up getting banned or end up leaving - and it doesn't.

Apart from the usual trolls, have an amnesty and bring the forum back to life!
'Tis me
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Baco Noir wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:35 am Are you saying Mods can read PMs here? I know we cannot on the other forum as I actually have Admin privileges on that forum and it's not available to me.
I am not saying that they are or know how to. I run a vBulletin forum and PMs are stored in the database as plain text. From what I have read, phpBB is the same. Mods usually have forum software access to a certain level, admins have full access within the software and site owners have access to everything like the database. Private message means they are between two members, not that they are untraceable or encrypted.

I have seen reports about Verticalscope forums like Watchuseek that they do monitor PMs.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Baco Noir wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:35 am

Are you saying Mods can read PMs here? I know we cannot on the other forum as I actually have Admin privileges on that forum and it's not available to me.
Point of information, gents. Private Messages on this forum are just that. We do not, and as far as I know cannot, read your PMs.

The only exception would be if a recipient forwarded or reported a PM.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Baco Noir
Senior
Senior

Post by Baco Noir »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:26 am
Baco Noir wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:35 am

Point of information, gents. Private Messages on this forum are just that. We do not, and as far as I know cannot, read your PMs.

The only exception would be if a recipient forwarded or reported a PM.
Same on the ProBoards forum I am a mod on and have Admin privileges for. Good to know, not that I'm a subversive or anything. 8)
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

nordwulf wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:31 am I have been banned on several forums and even a FB group.
Just curious...
...was there a common factor in any of these bannerisings? :silent:

Sorry Frank. Couldn't resist. 8)

Sorry, what was that Kip?
I should take my wooden spoon and stick it where?
Steve.
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Thermexman wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:20 am
Just curious...
...was there a common factor in any of these bannerisings? :silent:

Sorry Frank. Couldn't resist. 8)
No need to be sorry. The common factor was having an opinion on how their commercial forums take over the independent enthusiast forums we used to know. A Verticalscope forum ban is a badge of honour.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

^^^Say no more. :thumbup:
Steve.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Oh well, we tried! :ka:
Steve.
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

Shame....could do with an injection of humour/sarcasm from a few of the missing :silent:
Arbor22
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Arbor22 »

kiter65 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:14 pm Shame....could do with an injection of humour/sarcasm from a few of the missing :silent:
+1. Variety is the spice of life.
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

I'm not up on forum discipline but have suspensions rather than out right bans been attempted to try and modify behavior?
Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300