J&T Windmills

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Rev
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 18

J&T Windmills

Post by Rev »

I recently bought a J&T Windmills Threadneedle believing it to be a British watch made by a small artisan producer. Their website certainly suggests this to be true. It is a very nice watch. Sterling silver not SS, sapphire crystal, Swiss movement etc. However, I now have reason to believe they may be part of the Accurist/Rotary group? Can anyone confirm this? I hope it's not true because modern Accurist/Rotary are total rubbish.
nigelb001
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: J&T Windmills

Post by nigelb001 »

I don't think that J&T Windmills is a brand that would get much attention on here, but check out this thread particularly the post by tempusmaximus:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39312&p=577750&hili ... ls#p577750
CW C7 Rapide / Breitling Top Time + Superocean / Laco Memmingen
Tissot PRS516 Auto + PRS516 Chrono / Seiko Padi Turtle
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Basically it's a part of Rotary, though they do use decent movements, I think.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

I’ve never looked at these before. I have to admit if, and its a big if as I don’t have occasion to wear a dress watch, I was looking for a dress watch I would consider the white face, small seconds, black strap threadneedle. There’s just that little something different about it that I quite like. I could see myself buying one just to have a watch that says ‘made in England’ on the dial to be honest. There’s not that many about.
oberonfoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by oberonfoto »

Rev wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:07 pm hope it's not true because modern Accurist/Rotary are total rubbish.
That's one hell of a statement! I have a Rotary Diver as a beater and it keep the best time out of all of my watches.

David
CWL C60 Trident Pro Orange, C60 Trident 600 GMT Red, C60 Trident 300 - RN SM Service, C60 Trident 600 Bronze GMT, C65 Dartmouth S1 Black
EB Canford SM Service, EB Holton Pro, Omega Geneve, Record Swan, CWC G10
Wife:
CWL Constance
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

J &T Windmills is part of the Dreyfuss Group , which includes Rotary . The Dreyfuss group now operates under these https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stoc ... pId=878455
.http://www.thedreyfussgroup.com/ Hope this helps .
Bernie
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Rev wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:07 pm I hope it's not true because modern Accurist/Rotary are total rubbish.
Perhaps you'd like to clarify, as my sterling silver Rotary tank would disagree with you.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Rev
Junior
Junior

Post by Rev »

Apologies to any of you offended by my statement about Rotary, no offense was intended. My comments were based solely on the price point of current Rotarys and the fact that the last one I had fell apart in less than three months! It was a really lovely looking skeleton watch, Sadly the movement simply self destructed.
Amor Vincit Omnia

I think when I were a lad Rotary was quite a respected make and one to which “ordinary folk” might aspire. I know my dad had one for many years and he bought my mum one in 9ct gold for their 20th anniversary. I still have hers, but what happened to Dad’s watch I have no idea.

I bought a quartz Datejust lookalike by Rotary in about 1990. It got nicked, but no worries, I put the insurance cough-up towards an Omega.

About 2012 I really fancied one of those Windmills watches, the one with a longcase clock style hands and chapter. Chickened out and bought a Nomos which I kept for about 4 years.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Rev
Junior
Junior

Post by Rev »

Sadly it seems a number of the old 'great' names were taken over by Chinese box shifters. I remember when Limit was a quality luxury brand. Now you can buy them on the street for a few pounds! Tragic.
Rev
Junior
Junior

Post by Rev »

My Windmills really does look nice though. I'd rather have a Chinese case and Swiss movement than the other way around :D
Amor Vincit Omnia

Rev wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:51 pm My Windmills really does look nice though. I'd rather have a Chinese case and Swiss movement than the other way around :D
Rev, I think we need some pics. They ARE nice looking watches. And you’re right about some of the revived old names. I have a sweet little 1960s Enicar. The new “Far East” Enicars are not great.
Steve

Rev
Junior
Junior

Post by Rev »

Attachments
20190120_120440.jpg
20190120_120407.jpg
20190120_120523.jpg
20190120_120305.jpg
20190120_120350.jpg
20190120_120326.jpg
Rev
Junior
Junior

Post by Rev »

As you can see the face is beautifully finnished with a radial brushed pattern in a champagn colour. The index markers and hands are rose gold in colour. Together they look very trad, even antique. Date at 3 o'clock. The winder at 2 o'clock is a little odd, they call it a unique 'feature'. The 'made in England' on the face may be stretching the truth a little.

The lugs are antique in design, I think they look great. The strap is ok, not of the highest quality, and the clasp is overly complicated, but looks good, especially with the Windmills btanding.

The back is especially striking with its decoration around the circumference and a huge display window showing off the, rather ordinary, mechanism. It was a great choice not to have an automatic movememnt so that the mechanism could be seen clearly. The back appears to be snap-on rather than screw on - perhaps betraying the price point.

On balance it's a very nice watch and well worth the asking price I would say.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Nice looking piece and certainly a little different.
Rev wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:22 pm The 'made in England' on the face may be stretching the truth a little.
Good point, though I don't imagine Robert Loomes will be crying into his beer over it.
Steve