Non-EU customers potentially now (more) liable for import duty

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Non-EU customers potentially now (more) liable for import duty

Post by jkbarnes »

I’m curious, Is the declared value always just the purchase price? For example, if I buy a Trident at lets say $1,000, but have a voucher for $125 off, is the declared value going to be $1,000 (the actual price of the watch) or $875 (what I actually paid out of pocket)?
Drew
Dclarkwatch
Junior
Junior

Post by Dclarkwatch »

Even more reason to keep searching for what I want on the sales page here!
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

jkbarnes wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:07 pm I’m curious, Is the declared value always just the purchase price? For example, if I buy a Trident at lets say $1,000, but have a voucher for $125 off, is the declared value going to be $1,000 (the actual price of the watch) or $875 (what I actually paid out of pocket)?
I don't know whether its the same going into the US, but the watches I've bought grey market from the US have always been declared as the actual purchase price for coming into the UK, including the deductions for voucher codes/discounts etc.. So, in your example it would be 875
slimpickens

Post by slimpickens »

So I went to bed with my watch being stuck in customs on the other side of the country. Kip was super helpful in filling out the Watch Info form for me.

I was about to hit the phones with CW support and DHL to get things done (DHL's last com with me was they needed my SSN and more info or they were shipping it back to its origin)...but then I got an email from DHL saying my package cleared customs overnight and was already flown to my city, and should be delivered before end of business today. No idea what happened, but according to tracking sometime around midnight last night DHL cleared the package. I guess the night shift got in, looked at what the day shift had done and said, "What the hell were you guys doing this is fine" and sent the watch on its way. Can't wait!

Thanks for your help everyone, felt like a total newbie and out of my element.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

slimpickens wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:35 pm So I went to bed with my watch being stuck in customs on the other side of the country. Kip was super helpful in filling out the Watch Info form for me.

I was about to hit the phones with CW support and DHL to get things done (DHL's last com with me was they needed my SSN and more info or they were shipping it back to its origin)...but then I got an email from DHL saying my package cleared customs overnight and was already flown to my city, and should be delivered before end of business today. No idea what happened, but according to tracking sometime around midnight last night DHL cleared the package. I guess the night shift got in, looked at what the day shift had done and said, "What the hell were you guys doing this is fine" and sent the watch on its way. Can't wait!

Good news, not long to wait now then :thumbup:
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Canada and USA customers will be impacted with the CW decision to shift from Royal Mail originated deliveries (transferring to Canada Post and US Postal Service). From when I joined in 2012, parcels had a 50/50 chance of arriving via the postal system with no duty/taxes/handling fees charged. Personally my track record from 2012-2018 was 65% made it through uncharged.

I read that Royal Mail required full customs declarations to be completed effective January 1, 2019 for International shipments. This would still see have seen Canadians pay taxes plus the Canada Post $9.95 handling fee for 100% of the packages (watches or straps) coming into Canada. I will not guess at how it might work for the USA.

As noted on the forum; CW has switched to DHL for all standard international shipments for watches and straps. DHL will charge all duty/taxes (by law) and take a generous handling fee as well.

DHL charged me $21.30 in taxes and handling fees on $60.00 in strap purchases (yup 36%!!!). My research determined this was a 65% premium versus the Royal Mail/Canada Post combination would have charged for the same.

As information to fellow forum members to factor in these charges to your purchases.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

slimpickens wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:35 pm So I went to bed with my watch being stuck in customs on the other side of the country. Kip was super helpful in filling out the Watch Info form for me.

Great news. enjoy the watch.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

While shipments into the US may slip through the system or 'fly under the radar' and you avoid having to pay duty, it doesn't always mean you are not required to pay taxes on these goods. I don't know how it works in Canada or in other states / countries but in Michigan there is Use Tax.
Use tax on tangible personal property is similar to sales tax, but applies to purchases when Michigan sales tax is not charged. Use tax of 6 percent must be paid on the total price (including shipping and handling charges) of all taxable items brought into Michigan or purchases by mail from out-of-state retailers. It applies to purchases made in foreign countries as well as other states. Businesses registered for sales or withholding tax may remit use tax on their returns. Individuals can pay their use tax liability on their MI-1040 tax return.
https://www.michigan.gov/taxes/0,4676,7 ... --,00.html

I assume many people 'forget' about their out-of-state purchases when they fill out their tax returns and there doesn't seem to be an easy way for the government to enforce this. While nobody really enjoys paying taxes, requiring your SSN when goods are cleared for customs may actually be the only way for them to enforce. Or charging you state sales tax when it is cleared for customs.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Viognier wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:26 pm DHL charged me $21.30 in taxes and handling fees on $60.00 in strap purchases (yup 36%!!!).
If that’s what I can expect now, I will never buy another watch strap from CW again.

This whole thread is very disheartening.
Drew
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Us Customs only charges duty on watch purchases of $800.00 or more. Individual states have different requirements come tax time.

Voignier is speaking of his experiences in Canada.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by srs1286 »

Kip wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:05 pm Us Customs only charges duty on watch purchases of $800.00 or more. Individual states have different requirements come tax time.

Voignier is speaking of his experiences in Canada.
Can attest that I just took delivery on $740 purchase in the USA and no additional taxes or fees charged by DHL.
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

Viognier wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:26 pm As noted on the forum; CW has switched to DHL for all standard international shipments for watches and straps. DHL will charge all duty/taxes (by law) and take a generous handling fee as well.

DHL charged me $21.30 in taxes and handling fees on $60.00 in strap purchases (yup 36%!!!). My research determined this was a 65% premium versus the Royal Mail/Canada Post combination would have charged for the same.
DHL Package with the two straps arrived yesterday and here was their breakdown. Note: I've amended as there was an invoice error and that I will have adjusted by $1.50 from my original post.

Duty - $0.00
GST (5%) on straps - $3.00
Processing Fee - $11.00
Transaction Fee - $5.00
GST on transaction and processing fee - $0.80
Total - $19.80

so $19.80 on $60 in strap purchases (33% via DHL)

IF it had gone full declaration Royal Mail/Canada Post equivalent would have been $12.95 (21.6%)

Bottom-line: Flat rate fees (processing, transaction, handling) are debilitating on smaller purchases and DHL's fees are extremely high.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

Viognier wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:26 pm
I read that Royal Mail required full customs declarations to be completed effective January 1, 2019 for International shipments. This would still see have seen Canadians pay taxes plus the Canada Post $9.95 handling fee for 100% of the packages (watches or straps) coming into Canada. I will not guess at how it might work for the USA.
It's actually worse than this. Completion of the CN22/23 form (which as far as I know was always a requirement, as I've never seen a package arrive without one affixed to the package) is not a guarantee that customs will assess duties and taxes. Canada customs assesses a random selection of parcels arriving via Canada Post. The presence of a declaration does not in any way mean your parcel will be inspected and assessed. In reality, the opposite is probably true. Customs is more likely to inspect a parcel that arrives without a declaration attached.

This change will likely have zero impact on the 65/35% split on paying duties and taxes on parcels sent via post. CWL is screwing Canadian customers with this change, and they don't care.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

I think CWL are monitoring this situation; they are trying something new here. So far for me it's cost more.

One of the points that separates Canada Post and the various couriers is that when parcels arrives at one of the three mail sort centres in the country is that they are inspected by CBSA officers who seem to be more even handed in assessing duties and taxes.

All the couriers on the other hand are heavily motivated to charge ANY amount they can because of the fees they collect. I believe their parcels are self inspected but still they are charging as such as they possibly can on very small amounts; Canada Post is not behaving this way.

I have asked CWL for an option on check out to choose Royal Mail versus DHL. I have been told they made the switch (in part) due to a lacking of tracking one in Canada (until final delivery). I have been told that the process using DHL is new and they will monitor it.

I suggest you all write to CWL and ask for this option.
Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

CW is most certainly monitoring the situation. They do care.

They are looking at all aspects such as speed, tracking ability, final cost of goods etc and will weigh against complaints about non tracking abilities, lost units and balance all against sales.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.