Non-EU customers potentially now (more) liable for import duty

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Non-EU customers potentially now (more) liable for import duty

Post by FloridaPhil »

It looks as though USA customers (and probably other non-EU customers) will have a higher likelihood of being charged import duty on CW orders. A customer posted elsewhere that he had been assessed $80 duty on his new Trident Chrono shipped to the USA via DHL so I fired off a quick email to Scott Callaway at CW Customer Services. This is what he said:

"From 2019 Royal Mail require a CN22/CN23 declaration on all international tracking shipments so there is no way to duck under the radar of the customs officials anymore with Royal Mail. As there is no longer an “advantage” of choosing Royal Mail over DHL, we have chosen DHL as our chosen international courier as they offer better tracking than we receive with Royal Mail. I know this doesn’t help the tax issues, but I hope it explains why we are using DHL now".

I've never been charged duty before on any CW purchases to date but it looks as though that may change. I've heard, but not verified, that duty is only due on purchases over US $800.

Oh well. It was good while it lasted.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Re: Non-EU customers potentially now (more) liable for import duty

Post by albionphoto »

I was charged duty on my C7 Apex when it was delivered to the US last November. It was a $3500-ish watch so being asked for duty by DHL wasn't a surprise. What was a surprise was the amount of duty owed. On this watch I paid a total of $85 dollars and IIRC $40-ish of that was DHL handling fees. No one wants to pay import duty but the amounts are relatively low. (And it's the law). As many have said if your watch is under $800 then it's not liable for import duty at all.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

Good info Mark, thank you. We'll just need to factor the duty into any future purchases if applicable.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Ddavidsonmd
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Ddavidsonmd »

The tax man is getting better at getting their cut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Korkki »

For me duty for $3500 watch will be $840. That's 24% VAT on top of the watch price. However the will be no handling fees because I can do a customs clearance online for free (DHL will try to sell this as a service).

There's no VAT/import duty if a watch is under $24. Woohoo! :?
NO PARKING
This space is reserved
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

I too have been hit by DHL in Canada to the tune of C$172 despite Canada and Switzerland signing a free trade agreement. DHL and the other couriers do not care and are motivated to charge duty and taxes as they can then charge a brokerage fee. I wrote to Scott however I expect the same response. I will be thinking a little more carefully in future about my CWL purchases unfortunately.
Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Korkki wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:02 pm
If you ever buy one of the (former forum favourite) square Casios from SC, you'll be good to go :thumbup:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

After Brexit on March 29, everybody in the EU has to deal with this as well? Not so much paying taxes as that won't change but dealing with courier companies and handling charges/fees.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

nordwulf wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:17 pm After Brexit on March 29, everybody in the EU has to deal with this as well? Not so much paying taxes as that won't change but dealing with courier companies and handling charges/fees.
I started a thread a week or two back on that topic Frank :)

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=51178&p=755894&hilit=brexit#p755894
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Thegreyman wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:19 pm
nordwulf wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:17 pm After Brexit on March 29, everybody in the EU has to deal with this as well? Not so much paying taxes as that won't change but dealing with courier companies and handling charges/fees.
I started a thread a week or two back on that topic Frank :)

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=51178&p=755894&hilit=brexit#p755894
Thanks, good thread. Hadn't seen that one yet. :thumbup:
Korkki
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Korkki »

Thegreyman wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:17 pm
If you ever buy one of the (former forum favourite) square Casios from SC, you'll be good to go :thumbup:
There's a loop hole. If I pay $24 for a watch and $3476 for shipping there's no VAT/import duty for a $3500 watch because shipping costs are excluded 8)

But I better to have a good explanation ready for customs... :---)
NO PARKING
This space is reserved
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Korkki wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:30 pm
Thegreyman wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:17 pm
There's a loop hole. If I pay $24 for a watch and $3476 for shipping there's no VAT/import duty for a $3500 watch because shipping costs are excluded 8)

But I better to have a good explanation ready for customs... :---)
Nope. VAT and import duty are charged on the declared price PLUS shipping.

Nice try.....

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Korkki
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Korkki »

Don't know how it's elsewhere but here's no customs duty for a watch. Just the VAT. Shipping costs are included indeed but because VAT is not collected for an item under $24 there are no duties or VAT

NO PARKING
This space is reserved
parsa
Junior
Junior

Post by parsa »

Korkki wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:49 pm Don't know how it's elsewhere but here's no customs duty for a watch. Just the VAT. Shipping costs are included indeed but because VAT is not collected for an item under $24 there are no duties

That loophole hasn't existed before. I doubt they have created it now, and it's probably a glitch on the calculator. BTW, last time (10/2017) I had to pay import fees, there was customs duty for the watch, VAT for the customs duty (!! this was new) and also VAT for watch and shipping. I asked from Finnish customs and they replied that from 2017 they collect customs duty from all items, no matter value.
-Mikko

Current collection: C7 Chrono Auto, Omega AT 8500, Oris Aquis Date, Oris 65 Movember, Certina DS Podium Chrono
Prev CW's: C11 MSL MK1, C11 Vintage PVD, C20 Lido, C60 Trident GMT 600 x2, C1000 Typhoon RAF
Wishlist: C60 Trident Chrono, C8 PR
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

albionphoto wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:55 pm What was a surprise was the amount of duty owed. On this watch I paid a total of $85 dollars and IIRC $40-ish of that was DHL handling fees. No one wants to pay import duty but the amounts are relatively low. (And it's the law). As many have said if your watch is under $800 then it's not liable for import duty at all.
As Castanza would say.. Duty-free shops are the biggest sucker deal in retail. Do you know how much duty is? Duty is nothing..!

https://youtu.be/ZOh_rvXP_VY?t=60

The amount of duty for incoming wrist watches, clocks and other time devices into the USA is actually pretty complicated and nearly impossible to figure out if you're not an expert.

https://www.usitc.gov/publications/docs ... 201c91.pdf

36 pages of this.. how would you even figure out the value of the case, strap and battery separately? :?