Manual or auto? (But not watches)

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: Manual or auto? (But not watches)

Post by downer »

The future must be automatic boxes, as it will surely provide a more controlled environment for the engineers to deliver the necessary efficiencies -whatever the power source.
Richard
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

We’ve definitely come a long way since Fred’s day!
2861B406-98E9-46FC-979C-4CD07CF9CBFD.png
Steve.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Manual meets automatic

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Wowsers! I must say that the majority of this is flying straight over my poor non-technical noddle and I fear I am very much in Smeggers’ “stick it in D, point and shoot” brigade! :lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:58 pm Wowsers! I must say that the majority of this is flying straight over my poor non-technical noddle and I fear I am very much in Smeggers’ “stick it in D, point and shoot” brigade! :lol:
Sounds like a dodgem may be just the vehicle for you Steve, just push and go :lol:
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

gaf1958 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:05 pm The PDK in the Macan is pretty much foolproof and I’ve yet to encounter a situation where it’s been caught wrong-footed. Mind you the prodigious torque output helps with that, but it’s like an even better “mind reader” than old style manual shifting - as there were certainly occasional times when I’d been caught in the wrong gear driving a manual, but not with this. It downshifts automatically when braking; earlier when on downhill inclines, it holds the gears just right to suit the rate of acceleration, whether gentle, pushing it a bit or flat to the boards. It does all the right things without fuss and without ever having to go near a flappy paddle... And no fuss at all on roundabouts either... whether it be the wrong gear or lack of AWD grip though every one of the 265/295 sized tyres.

The newer DSG in the Beetle is a big step up in driveability from the earlier models, even if the car itself is not the most muscular of drives. It’s not perhaps as driver-attuned as the Porsche box, but it does the job well enough to (so far) not be caught out wrong-footed by being in an inappropriate gear.
A very opportune post Gary and so true.

Comments I've made so far in this thread have been based, mainly, on driving my DSG equipped Yeti which is now 8 years old.

A small point before I go on is that, when I had it serviced in December, it was time for the oil to be changed in the DSG. Afterwards, I noticed that the gearbox was much more responsive and with smoother changes (full throttle, manual changes used to 'thunk' a bit, they are now smooth). I digress.

I had a task today to give my Brother's two cars a 'run' to recharge the batteries etc., as they are currently parked up, whilst he's away in Singapore. They are both new cars (2018) one a sports car with the latest 7-speed PDK/DSG, the other a large SUV with 8-speed ZF. Ignoring the gulf between the two cars in their driving characteristics due to size, weight, performance, the thing that impressed me was how GOOD both gearboxes were.

Whilst I'm experienced with the characteristic of a DSG your description of the abilities of a current PDK is totally spot on. I felt absolutely no need to resort to manual control as I do in my Yeti; perhaps its the difference in programming between an everyday / family car and a performance car, but I think it is as much the difference of technical improvements over eight years.

I'm even more smitten.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Bahnstormer_vRS

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:58 pm Wowsers! I must say that the majority of this is flying straight over my poor non-technical noddle and I fear I am very much in Smeggers’ “stick it in D, point and shoot” brigade! :lol:
To summarise my post above for you Steve . . .
. . . A new / current automatic is, for 95% of normal driving, so GOOD that I too would just “stick it in D, point and shoot”.

Guy

Amor Vincit Omnia

Thank you, Guy. Now THAT I do understand!
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Amor Vincit Omnia

**UPDATE**

My manual petrol Yaris is in for service next month, so I have taken the opportunity to book a test drive in a hybrid automatic. They are a very good dealership, and will let me have the car for a morning as a courtesy car while mine is being serviced.
Steve

Bahnstormer_vRS

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:**UPDATE**

My manual petrol Yaris is in for service next month, so I have taken the opportunity to book a test drive in a hybrid automatic. They are a very good dealership, and will let me have the car for a morning as a courtesy car while mine is being serviced.
Only the morning, Steve?

I'd ask for it all day and go for a run in it. Around Norwich City Centre and then off to the coast for lunch; or something.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:25 pm **UPDATE**

I can recommend the Yaris Hybrid, Steve. Our lass has one, the Icon Tech model, she loves it. Very smooth drive and very comfortable, plus every bit of tech you’ll ever need - lane assist, high beam assist, traffic sign recognition, the little thing has got everything! The CVT box isn’t for everyone, but she loves it as it’s so simple to drive.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Guy, not a bad idea!

Chris, thanks for the info. Sounds perfect.
Steve

TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:38 am Guy, not a bad idea!

Chris, thanks for the info. Sounds perfect.
No probs, Steve. I must admit that I wasn’t convinced it was the right way to go when she chose it as an upgrade to her little petrol Aygo but it has proved to be brilliant. It’s just 12 months old now last week and she’s done just over 18,000 miles in it so, as you can see from that it doesn’t sit around trying to look pretty doing nothing, and I can’t fault it in any way. They are tough miles, too, not motorway miles.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Thread revival. Had the demo out for 4 hours. Town, country lanes, boring A146 and a buzz up and down the Norwich bypass at M/way speed with CC one way and without the other way. Enjoyed it, could well be looking at one of these but NOT that colour. :lol:

Didn’t do a single brain fart emergency stop trying to change gear! :D

Oh yeah, pics...
6108A32C-3043-41E1-9B5D-05D3B6A69AB4.jpeg
C083C20B-F2CA-457D-8156-F6BD7BFF22A7.jpeg
Speedy is the arbiter of all things transportational and he was impressed.
Steve

downer

Post by downer »

Did you reach a decision, Steve?
Richard