Archive Prototype: C7 Rapide Day Date COSC

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Archive Prototype: C7 Rapide Day Date COSC

Post by Mikkei4 »

As with other things that weren't popular when readily available they'll become more popular once they're no longer available.

I was impressed with these when I looked at the Quartz Chrono at the showroom much earlier this year. However I didn't buy for the same reason you sold your green dial version - the outstanding elements of the design (4 part case, lug style, coloured ring) weren't present or not obvious on the Quartz Chrono (I can understand that due to the price).

Also there were a lot of options for different dial layouts, movements etc but somehow, for me at least, the ideal combination wasn't there. For example the standard version closest to the looks of your prototype has a black ring which just looks like another watch when it is superb with the orange/gold ring on your version.

This range would have been a fantastic and unique opportunity for customisation, maybe we missed an opportunity for a very unique FLE!

I know that CW "don't do customisation" but I think with the stock availability of variation of dials, coloured rings, unique lugs, movements etc it would have been a unique opportunity that CW have missed out on. I would have paid £50 or so on top to be able to have ordered my desired combination.
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by biggus_richus »

That looks stunning Gary.

I have literally just gotten my hands on the box which contains my black and yellow prototype
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Very nice Gary. Always good when an opportunity like this works out for you. :thumbup:
Steve.
Ttf23
Guru
Guru

Post by Ttf23 »

That looks fantastic - great pick-up. Worth considering on the brushed bracelet too, it works really well on the C7s.

(and I can’t work out why they aren’t more popular too!)
Independent buyer and seller of Christopher Ward and other watches - Ward Hoard
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I too have not given the C7 too much thought in the past. I agree though that the hollow lugs and case design make the auto far more desirable, and perhaps that's the problem that these attractive features of the watch require the buyer to pay the premium of the auto over the quartz.

Anyway I love your new prototype, I think the colour combination of blue and orange (hands, minute track) works well together (I have that combo on my C11 Makaira). Oh and did I mention the orange mid section....love that too :wink:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Thanks all. I’ve just ordered the bracelet to suit. I think with the heat and humidity we’ve had here recently, it’ll be a worthwhile addition. The leather strap can then be retired until the cooler months roll around.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Good move Gary. Bracelet is a slam dunk for you I'd have thought.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Fantastic pick up that Gary, love the orange midcase (but I am a sucker for orange bits, the same as you). I feel as though CW haven't made enough of this case, it could be a real winner for them. The thing thats put me off is the numbers, they look a bit too 'motor sporty' for my liking (yeah, I know its the motorsport range). I hope they are looking at using this case with some varied dial designs in the future.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

TigerChris wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:49 pm I hope they are looking at using this case with some varied dial designs in the future.

Very good point that.

It's too good a design not to use it again especially with some more options of coloured rings.
Rooski
Junior
Junior

Post by Rooski »

That looks absolutely amazing. The colour contrast of the belly of the watch against the blue works really well. I also have never fully appreciated the scooped out lugs until I read the write up on this watch in the autumn 2017 loupe magazine. I was only reading it yesterday. I was scratching my head as to why it was not as popular when it was released. Thank you for posting these photos. I'm now thinking about getting the c7 rapide chronograph version even though I'm still waiting for my c8 flyer to arrived. It's a sickness.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

C5 Malvern mk2 auto,C60 trident 600,Seiko Sea Urchin, Oris Junior vintage, Tag Aquaracer (Quartz) and Golana Aqua