Will There Be A 2019 FLE ?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Will There Be A 2019 FLE ?

Post by TigerChris »

timor54 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:26 pm I’ve not been involved in limited editions before, but I have in a previous life worked in product development/management and understand that making more than basic cosmetic changes can result in very rapid cost escalation, even more so for low volume production runs.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the FLE’s I’ve seen appear to be basically existing models with some relatively low cost cosmetic changes. To design and build something really different could end up being quite expensive.

Given that the high cost of a customised auto could put off a lot of people, would a lower cost quartz offering attract more commitment? It’s very easy to be dismissive of quartz but there are some good and popular watches out there and something truly unique might outweigh any prejudice against quartz.

For example: take the Trident 300 movement/dial and put it into a C7 case; possibly without a bezel/or with a fixed bezel; maybe use a different handset and then add some colour accents that can be matched to the mid case.

Something like that would still be relatively expensive (for a quartz) but nothing like an auto, and have a real identity.
Exactly the issue I've briefly mentioned - Quartz keeps the cost down, but doesn't appeal to many on here (me included if I'm honest). I do think that the C7 case does, however, provide the base for a good FLE (particularly the blue with orange midcase that Gary has just grabbed in his prototype buy)
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

If there is one I bet the 600m1200ft will be in red.

:D
Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by srs1286 »

Chiming in here having been deeply involved in both the FLE and CWE design processes, where I think the FB CWE excelled is that much of the detail was taken out of the hands of the members. It sounds harsh and the exact opposite of what an FLE and CWE should be but the C3 FLE process was so diluted with wild suggestions that would've never had a chance of being built due to extremely high costs or low fanfare.

The CWE process allowed suggestions from the group after the 43mm trident model was decided on and the mods / photoshop / designers then created roughly 9-10 designs that fit all the criteria necessary for the CWE to proceed. Those were narrowed down with a vote, designs tweaked with suggestions from the group and again internally by the mods / designers. One last vote on the 3 finalists, winner takes the cake.

The winning design was submitted to CW for confirmation that it could be built at the expected premium and production commenced.

What took the FLE multiple months of photoshopping every suggestion across the entire CW range was completed within a few weeks on the FB group. As we all know excitement wanes with time so the shorter timeline kept excitement in the process.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

I think it would take an immense amount of persuasion and assurance of sales success for CW to consider taking on the production of another FLE, particularly in 2019 which seems like it will already be a very busy year for them with their own planned schedule of watch releases. I don't know whether they did or not but I feel that CW got their fingers burnt, at least in the short-term, with the 2017 FLE due to the quantity that were returned plus they kindly and unexpectedly even refunded the £100 "non-returnable" deposit.

As I'd like to see another FLE my own thoughts are -
- it should be planned for release in 2020. That year in a FLE title has more of a "ring" to it than 2019 e.g. the C65 2020.
- a 2020 release might allow CW more time to place it easier in their design and production schedule.
- a 2020 watch would enable us to see the new C60 Trident and thus provide another option of the base watch for an FLE.
- it should have an "upmarket" feel/look/status.
- it should be an automatic or hand-wound movement.
- it should be based on what is acknowledged to be a very popular model, e.g C65 Trident Diver, C60 Trident.
- the design process needs to be different to that for the 2017 FLE, with members maybe only suggesting base model or only colour(s) after CW choose the model.
- there should be flexibility on the placement of the name logo, i.e could be centre justified at 12 rather than left justified at 9.
- we might have to accept that it is a non-returnable/non-refundable purchase but the 60month warranty is retained.
- a combined FLE/FB CWE ?
- the decision about the quantity produced should at a minimum enable all those willing to place their money down to be able to purchase it, i.e not an Omega Speedy Tuesday mad rush.

I realise that some of the above would place the FLE towards the "more expensive" range of the CW watches but hopefully not out of the purchasing range of members. These are only my personal thoughts and I'm hoping they might prompt some discussion and importantly maybe give the Mods a reason to support it.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

^^^^
That makes a lot of sense to me :thumbup:

I would like something different to what has gone before, therefore, looking at all the previous FLE's (and including the latest CWE LE) plus taking into account the most popular watch of 2018, I would say that the C65 Trident Diver would probably be the best option as a starting point.

I'm also prepared to throw my hat in the ring to help organise, that is, pay a visit to CW Towers to discuss.
(I do have some experience of designing/creating a Limited Edition watch)
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by srs1286 »

Mikkei4 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:24 pm I think it would take an immense amount of persuasion and assurance of sales success for CW to consider taking on the production of another FLE, particularly in 2019 which seems like it will already be a very busy year for them with their own planned schedule of watch releases. I don't know whether they did or not but I feel that CW got their fingers burnt, at least in the short-term, with the 2017 FLE due to the quantity that were returned plus they kindly and unexpectedly even refunded the £100 "non-returnable" deposit.

As I'd like to see another FLE my own thoughts are -
- it should be planned for release in 2020. That year in a FLE title has more of a "ring" to it than 2019 e.g. the C65 2020.
- a 2020 release might allow CW more time to place it easier in their design and production schedule.
- a 2020 watch would enable us to see the new C60 Trident and thus provide another option of the base watch for an FLE.
- it should have an "upmarket" feel/look/status.
- it should be an automatic or hand-wound movement.
- it should be based on what is acknowledged to be a very popular model, e.g C65 Trident Diver, C60 Trident.
- the design process needs to be different to that for the 2017 FLE, with members maybe only suggesting base model or only colour(s) after CW choose the model.
- there should be flexibility on the placement of the name logo, i.e could be centre justified at 12 rather than left justified at 9.
- we might have to accept that it is a non-returnable/non-refundable purchase but the 60month warranty is retained.
- a combined FLE/FB CWE ?
- the decision about the quantity produced should at a minimum enable all those willing to place their money down to be able to purchase it, i.e not an Omega Speedy Tuesday mad rush.

I realise that some of the above would place the FLE towards the "more expensive" range of the CW watches but hopefully not out of the purchasing range of members. These are only my personal thoughts and I'm hoping they might prompt some discussion and importantly maybe give the Mods a reason to support it.
I agree with all of the above aside from the bold text. Hand wound, you're going to limit your audience. Although the logo is a hot topic and many would like to see it fill the "12 o'clock void", this is CW's decision as far as their branding and should align with the companies direction. Sorry if it upsets anyone but I genuinely believe the 9 o'clock placement (where possible) is as much a part of CW's brand now as the logo itself. That aside, I know for the CWE they would not allow a center justified logo at 12 so we opted for the twin flag motif. Lastly, I do think production numbers should be fewer than the people who are willing to put funds down. With the longer production process, there will always be individuals who back out for various reasons and having a waiting list further safeguards CW from getting stuck with the leftovers which after-all, is the whole reason this process is at risk in the first place.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

@strapmeister & @srs1286
Thanks to you both for giving feedback so quickly - just what i think we need if we want to have another FLE.

@strapmeister
I was trying NOT to push a particular CW watch as the basis for the next FLE but I have to agree with you that the C65 meets so many of my points - it's already an acknowledged very popular model, it will soon be available with either an automatic or hand-wound movement, it has an "upmarket" look beyond the selling price, it looks good on bracelet or strap, it looks good in all the colours so far released, it's not too big or too thick.

I live close to the Showroom and I'm retired so can I get involved please please please :D

@srs1286
Re. hand-wound - I totally understand and agree with you. I suppose I was trying to push the spec away from a quartz movement and felt that a hand-wound option might be an option to keep the costs down. I'd be more than happy with an automatic.

Re. placement of the name logo.
Up to a point I wrote this to suit my preference of where the logo goes - I have 1 with it at 9o'clock (the 2017 FLE in fact) and although I like the watch overall I just can't get to like the logo placement on this or other CW watches with it at 9o'clock. I have to disagree with you re. this being aligned with CW's company direction. You later add ... where possible....and there are current selling CW watches that have the logo at 12 or 3 o'clock. Obviously they CAN decide to place it not at 9o'clock if they wish to and have indeed done so. I accept that ultimately it would be CW's decision and that they stated that the FB CWE had to have the logo at 9o'clock but I don't think we should totally dismiss the possibility or of at least asking or trying to negotiate it being elsewhere....Imagine a C65 with it centre justified at 12 (maybe the twin flag above it a la Rolex and their crown?) and the numerals 3, 6 (or a date window at 6) and 9 as the hour markers. I think that would be stunning.

Re. the production quantities.
I agree that CW should never be stuck with leftovers from people backing out and that some people could back out for various reasons. For me it's about the "willing to put the funds down" bit - there must be a happy medium somewhere where people MUST be committed to buying the watch because the design process was good, the final design was acceptable to them, the eventual total cost is acceptable to them, they know they can't get any money back at least until CW find another full price buyer. In the end I wouldn't want to have said " yes I want 1 and here's my money" and then be told "sorry they've all gone because we're only doing 50".

I suppose it'll depend upon how many people eventually say they want 1 and the magical algorithm or Kip's previous experience that identifies how many won't actually buy it despite what they've said.

Loving the feedback, more please.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

I’d like some feedback from a mod if possible to see where their thoughts do actually lie now. I know Kip has said it won’t happen before, but maybe that thought has changed slightly now?
skimrok
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by skimrok »

Lawrence wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:25 pm If there is one I bet the 600m1200ft will be in red.

:D

:lol: that made me chuckle
Steve

C9 Blue LE /C60 Black
Also other various brands in my collection