CW lume quality and C65 Trident GMT

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: CW lume quality and C65 Trident GMT

Post by Thegreyman »

smegwina wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:12 pm Genuine question.....

A bright & vibrant lume looks lovely coming in from outside, in a photo etc etc...

But does anyone actually use/need lume nowadays. I don't think I have ever used it!
For me that sums it up. I keep my phone beside my bed at night whether at home or away in a hotel and just use that to check the time.

The lume does look nice as you say coming into a dull room after being charged but not a real factor for me when buying a watch.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

Willf wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:33 pm Well I don't have my mobile in my hand all the time but I do have a watch on my wrist most of it! Interested then if you think a luxury watchmaker can sell a diver/dual time watch costing nearly $1000 that can't perform that function?
Having a phone in your hand all the time would be daft no?
I usually keep mine in my pocket. Or nearby :lol:

It’s a nice look and would no doubt be handy In certain situations, like diving.
Just me personally, I’d reach into my pocket and see the time. As I too don’t carry my phone in my hand.
8)
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

Thegreyman wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:03 pm

A bright & vibrant lume looks lovely coming in from outside, in a photo etc etc...

But does anyone actually use/need lume nowadays. I don't think I have ever used it!
For me that sums it up. I keep my phone beside my bed at night whether at home or away in a hotel and just use that to check the time.

The lume does look nice as you say coming into a dull room after being charged but not a real factor for me when buying a watch.
X2 :thumbup:
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Willf
CW-watches: 1

Post by Willf »

I think it's made worse by the short day time hours and low light levels in winter. Regardless of how you use it, and I do use a watch to check time I note that of my 2 own and 3 step children aged between 16-23 only 1 has a watch since this Christmas because they do have phones stuck to the palms of their hands. I still come back to my central point though of a dive watch costing a this much not having a reliable lume! I think CW should think very carefully about these important functions. I wouldn't be very pleased to by a luxury car and pay the premium for it only to find it had H4 headlights instead of zenons!
Willf

Post by Willf »

Essex Paul wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:30 pm

X2 :thumbup:
Not sure why you own a watch then?
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Willf wrote:
Essex Paul wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:30 pm

X2 Image
Not sure why you own a watch then?
Can't say for anyone else, but for me it is purely because I like them and enjoy wearing them as opposed to a practical need to use it to tell the time.

I have clocks in the car, virtually all rooms in the house, the office and there are clocks in most places I frequent.

Strangely, I do still use a good old fashioned watch for leg timing in the aircraft, despite there being clocks/timers on the panel, on the instrument screens, and the stopwatch on my kneeboard.

Still love me a watch though!

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

CW lume quality and C65 Trident GMT

Post by gaf1958 »

For me, good, long lasting lume is a definite bonus. When I travel, I always wear a watch at night and being able to read the time - easily - is a big bonus. Some of the places I’ve been have no power or clocks, so a visible watch face is a bonus. As a result, my travel watches usually have decent lume... just in case.

I don’t often use a phone for telling time, particularly at night - scrambling around to find it (on my usually overcrowded bedside table) is a PITA compared to a quick glance at the wrist.

When I’m at home, I will admit that I have a digital clock in a visible spot, so lume is not really an issue. However I still leave the watch on the bedside table with the dial oriented so that I can read the time if I’m lying on that side. It’s all about minimising the chance of rousing myself to full wakefulness as it’s easier to get back to sleep. :D

So, back on topic, :) I will say (and this is a generalisation) that CW’s lume (where applied) has improved year on year over the lifetime of the company. It’s not world class, but the lume on the newer watches are generally speaking, better than their older ones.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Essex Paul wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:28 pm Not sure why you’d need a lume at night if you have ........ a mobile phone?
That’s not really the point though. You don’t normally buy luxury goods through ‘need’ or necessity. The C60 Trident is CW’s best seller, but how many of us actually ‘need’ 600m water resistance? Probably none of us. It’s advertised as a diver, good lume is part of the qualification of a usable diver. Whether you need it or not, it should be there. I don’t have a new C65 to compare, but looking at the pictures it doesn’t hold a candle (no pun intended) to either my C65 Classic or my C60 GMT, both of which have lume that lasts through the night without any ‘charging up’. I must be in the minority with the mobile phone thing too as I never use it to look at the time. It’s a weird concept for some people to grasp these days, but I use a phone to make phone calls and a watch/clock to look at the time :shock:
Willf

Post by Willf »

TigerChris wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:42 pm
Essex Paul wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:28 pm Not sure why you’d need a lume at night if you have ........ a mobile phone?
That’s not really the point though. You don’t normally buy luxury goods through ‘need’ or necessity. The C60 Trident is CW’s best seller, but how many of us actually ‘need’ 600m water resistance? Probably none of us. It’s advertised as a diver, good lume is part of the qualification of a usable diver. Whether you need it or not, it should be there. I don’t have a new C65 to compare, but looking at the pictures it doesn’t hold a candle (no pun intended) to either my C65 Classic or my C60 GMT, both of which have lume that lasts through the night without any ‘charging up’. I must be in the minority with the mobile phone thing too as I never use it to look at the time. It’s a weird concept for some people to grasp these days, but I use a phone to make phone calls and a watch/clock to look at the time :shock:
Spot on!
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

Willf wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:04 pm
Spot on!
Oh very dear.
I too use a phone for calls and a watch for time.
My very point was that if dark and I couldn’t see my watch I’d use my phone.
Or should I just stop someone and ask them the time?
If you really need a lume then a higher end watch like a Rolex would we be better?
I wear a watch for time telling, good looks and enjoy wearing a mechanical marvel on my wrist.
:shock:
Spot on? Not really eh?
C65 Trident Diver Blue
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Essex Paul wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:15 pm
And my point was that whether you need all of its functions or not any tool, in this case a watch, should be able to do the job that it’s built for. If the lume is rubbish on a dive watch then it’s not fit for what it’s advertised for.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I wear my watch for telling the time and probably look at it 50-75 times per day, some of those being admiring glances more than a need to see the time.

However I have my phone beside my bed as I usually check the BBC website or the forum before lights out and first thing in the morning. It also is my morning alarm and I may perhaps once in the night use it to check the time. More convenient than also having my watch beside my bed and possibly dropping it whilst fumbling in the dark trying to find it. The mobile is a company phone and more dispensable!
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Willf

Post by Willf »

Essex Paul wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:15 pm
Willf wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:04 pm

Spot on!
Oh very dear.
I too use a phone for calls and a watch for time.
Or should I just stop someone and ask them the time?
If you really need a lume then a higher end watch like a Rolex would we be better?
I wear a watch for time telling, good looks and enjoy wearing a mechanical marvel on my wrist.
:shock:
Spot on? Not really eh?
Oh dear dear!!
Well it is really. Check out my original posting and you'll see I have a Rolex Sub amoungst others.
Doesn't matter what your personal leasure activities are a dive watch at this price point should be legible. The feature should work.
In fact the lume on this C65 Trident GMT is no better than that of an Invicta 8926ob I use for gardening etc..
And tat in my opinion IS JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH!
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

My 2 pence worth...

If a watch has a function, I'd expect it to work as described.
However, I'm afraid there are many watches (from various manufacturers) that are let down by their lume qualities.

As an aside...
Mobile phone by the bed as my alarm.
Watch on my wrist during the day to tell the time.
Switch to a decent Seiko or an Omega to read the time in the evenings.
Otherwise, if you want watch you can read in the dark, go for a NITE with a GTLS (Gaseous Tritium Light Source).
https://www.nitewatches.com/gb/gtls/
Willf

Post by Willf »

The irony of the mobile phone as a counter argument on a watch forum and thread about what's reasonble to expect of a $1000 dive watch is hilarious really.