A place to discuss other watch-brands
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes

Re: If you want to buy a Rolex

Post by paw3001 »

Thegreyman wrote:Even on Chrono24 you can get a brand new ZBlue from the EU for £5,890 (list £6,300) so yes still sensibly priced.
Not really, whilst it is a lovely watch and I own one, I would say that the retail is about £3k over what it is worth. It just isn’t worth £6k+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watches - Too many but not enough!
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

paw3001 wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:26 am
Thegreyman wrote:Even on Chrono24 you can get a brand new ZBlue from the EU for £5,890 (list £6,300) so yes still sensibly priced.
Not really, whilst it is a lovely watch and I own one, I would say that the retail is about £3k over what it is worth. It just isn’t worth £6k+
By "sensibly priced", I was referring to the grey market prices vs RRP when compared to other Rolex models such as the sub, GMT etc.

As to the value of the watch that is highly subjective and could probably be debated endlessly.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:09 am Then there is this article on WatchPro a few days ago

Rolex authorised dealers hoard watches in desperate effort to save stock for holiday season

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
I was in The Oracle in Reading yesterday evening with a spare 20 mins so had a look in Goldsmiths external windows - I've never seen so much choice of Rolex there including 1 each of the blue, grape and grey OPs, which I've always wanted to compare against each other. 2 other guys looking at the same time said to each other that they've never seen so much choice before.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

I'm sure the expanded selection at Goldsmiths has absolutely nothing to do with the Christmas shopping season, and AD's and/or Rolex hoarding stock for the season. Merely a coincidence I'm sure.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

I was in a Rolex AD yesterday, looking at a few watches, not Rolex.

In conversation, the lady told me that they require customers who buy a SS Rolex to sign an agreement (didn't discuss details, but presume you agree not to sell) and only at the end of a 12 month period do they then supply you with the warranty card. Clearly they are doing this to stop speculators.

I told her I understood why they do this but that I didn't really agree with it. If I buy a watch I would want all papers etc when I hand over my money, not some time later.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

malvern_man
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by malvern_man »

Thegreyman wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:58 pm I was in a Rolex AD yesterday, looking at a few watches, not Rolex.

In conversation, the lady told me that they require customers who buy a SS Rolex to sign an agreement (didn't discuss details, but presume you agree not to sell) and only at the end of a 12 month period do they then supply you with the warranty card. Clearly they are doing this to stop speculators.

I told her I understood why they do this but that I didn't really agree with it. If I buy a watch I would want all papers etc when I hand over my money, not some time later.
When I purchased my Sub 116610LN last Thursday I didn't have to sign anything about not selling it, but, I was only given a photocopy of the warranty card and was told that I would receive the original warranty card in 12 months time.

All the protective stickers were removed and thrown away too, I asked if the one on the clasp could be left on but I was told it had to be removed.
CWL - C60 Trident Pro ~ Orange Bezel - C60-TRI-SKCSI
CWL - C60 Trident Pro 600 ~ C60-42-AUTO-SKRT
CWL - C11 Makaira Pro 500 ~ C11-MAK-SKOSI
CWL - C11 Titanium Extreme 1000 Limited Edition ~ C11-COSC-EXT-TKV-SI
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

malvern_man wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:18 pm
Thegreyman wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:58 pm I was in a Rolex AD yesterday, looking at a few watches, not Rolex.

When I purchased my Sub 116610LN last Thursday I didn't have to sign anything about not selling it, but, I was only given a photocopy of the warranty card and was told that I would receive the original warranty card in 12 months time.

All the protective stickers were removed and thrown away too, I asked if the one on the clasp could be left on but I was told it had to be removed.
I'm not likely to buy a (new or otherwise) Rolex anytime soon but if I was I would consider this AD action to be insulting. It is not the customers fault that the supply of the SS Rolex are such that this action is considered as acceptable customer service and that the customer is assumed to be guilty of purely being a speculative purchaser. If I want to pay hard earned money for a watch of my choice I want it to be handed over as I desire. I want all the paperwork straight away not 12 months later and I want the stickers handed over whether they have been removed or not - see the recent thread "Anal Retentives Unite".

If I was told the above stipulations for purchase by the AD I was buying from I'd suggest they placed the watch together with the warranty card and stickers where the sun doesn't shine and I'd walk out, no matter how much I might want the watch or how long I'd been on the waiting list (which is another bl**dy insult BTW).

Is it the ADs or Rolex that state all stickers have to be removed and that the warranty card is not passed over for 12months? To whoever it is - it is the wrong way to treat your customers ! so sort it out Rolex or ADs. Oh and Omega - stop your bl**dy stupid ultra-limited editions as you are also just fuelling the aftermarket of ridiculous watch prices.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:46 pm
Is it the ADs or Rolex that state all stickers have to be removed and that the warranty card is not passed over for 12months? To whoever it is - it is the wrong way to treat your customers ! so sort it out Rolex or ADs. Oh and Omega - stop your bl**dy stupid ultra-limited editions as you are also just fuelling the aftermarket of ridiculous watch prices.
It is the AD's and not Rolex's stipulation Mick I believe, as I know the AD I have used before did not do this and I'm fairly certain they still don't.
Patrick

Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Thegreyman wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:54 pm
Mikkei4 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:46 pm
It is the AD's and not Rolex's stipulation Mick I believe, as I know the AD I have used before did not do this and I'm fairly certain they still don't.
Thanks Patrick that's good to know it's not all ADs. I might have to visit the Edinburgh AD if I decide ever to buy a SS Rolex :D
De Sisti
Senior
Senior

Post by De Sisti »

Thegreyman wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:58 pm I was in a Rolex AD yesterday,
My AD, from whom I've put down a desposit for an Explorer , told me that they have heard of this practice, but it is not something they agree with; as they are selling to adults whom they have no hold over once they (the customers) leave the shop premises.
Aristo Vollmer Beobachter Automatic Chronometer
Rolex Explorer
Steinhart Ocean Military Vintage
Traser Automatic
Zeno Explorer
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

My local Rolex AD which is part of the Aurum group, went ballistic when I popped in with my DSSD late last year, because it had all stickers still in place.

They wanted to report the sales person from Watches of Switzerland (also Aurum) as it shouldn't have left the AD like that.

Stickers have now come off the clasp through natural wear, but are still on the case sides.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

You wear a watch with stickers on?? :shock:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Robotaz »

If you wear the stickers on a watch, I’m thinking you need a cheaper watch so that you feel OK with wearing it like a watch. Just my opinion.

@robotazky
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:13 am You wear a watch with stickers on?? :shock:
Yup, not noticeable when wearing and protects the case from scratches. If they become tatty then they'll come off.

Chris
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Robotaz wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:26 am If you wear the stickers on a watch, I’m thinking you need a cheaper watch so that you feel OK with wearing it like a watch. Just my opinion.

@robotazky
Thanks, I have approx. 30 others that are cheaper than my Deep Sea. Just looking after it, as I have no plans on ever selling it.

Chris