Automatic watches

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jay2001

Automatic watches

Post by jay2001 »

I have a couple of CW watches but recently acquired the first automatic one. If I'm only wearing it once or twice a week am I better to let it run down and wind it when I wear it, or should I keep it wound all the time? Or I suppose the third option, it doesn't matter?
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Re: Automatic watches

Post by Paul Drawmer »

:-D 3rd option really.
The only thing is that letting it run down, means having to reset each time you wear it. If you have a day/date watch it can be a bit of a faff.

A winder gets over the problem nicely, get a 4 hole one so you can expand the collection :D

On a more serious note; whilst there's nothing wrong in the rundown/wind up/reset cycle from the wear point of view; the times when user damage is most likely to occur is when you are fiddling with the crown. So either wear it more or get a winder.
There's always time for one more.
Diablo1st
CW-watches: 0

Post by Diablo1st »

I suggest to option no. 1 - wind it when you are going to wear it.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

There have been several discussions here and on other sites about benefit of using an automatic winder. I use one, oringinally because I understood that automatic watches were designed to keep running, and frequent manual winding wasn’t desirable. There is an opposite view that running a watch when it’s not being used will wear components more than not running it, and modern winding stems are robust and up to the job of occasional winding.

At the end of the day, most of the discussions conclude that it’s a matter of preference- some like picking up a watch that’s already correct, others like the ritual of adjusting and winding.

Take a read of a few of these, and share your conclusions:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47863
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=44589
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41523
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
jay2001

Post by jay2001 »

I think from a quick read I'll do what a few others have done. I'll get a winder and then never use it ;-)

Thanks all.
Bounce
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Bounce »

I used to use a winder all the time until it broke, I have now been about 6 months without it & can't say it is really bothering me winding them & resetting them, so I may not replace it.
Panerai Luminor GMT.
Omega Speedmaster Professional.
Tudor Pepsi GMT.
Tudor Harrods BB
Bremont ALT1 World Timer
C60 Trident MK3 GMT.
C60 Trident MK3 Tide.
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

I've only got one automatic (Hamilton Khak Field Day Date) that I rarely wear and I generally give it a wind every couple of days. It's pointless though as when I do wear it I reset the time on it.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

I think one has to be practical here. If you wear the watch regularly but not within its power reserve then a winder makes sense. Otherwise store it and reset it when you want to wear it. Eg I keep 3 watches on a winder because I wear them most days and don't want to reset. The rest live in a watch box in the safe. When I want to wear them I wind them a few turns (apart from manual winds) set them and if that extends they go on the winder.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

Here is a good article on the subject. Even after asking four experts they couldn't agree. Two said yes and two said no. I have never used a watch winder and probably never will barring substantial evidence of their need rather than just convenience.

I can see some argument for using the crown less when using a winder, therefore having less chance of damaging the crown or stem over time, but I already take precautions to protect the crown by only setting and winding my watches when they are off my wrist, so as not to put pressure on the stem. Even if I used a winder, I would probably unscrew or pull out the crown fairly regularly anyway, as I like to keep my automatic and manual wind watches set accurately at least weekly.

I think I can relate to this quote the best from the article.

"Let’s put it this way; if you don’t use your car you won’t let it run as well, do you? In the end, would you like to have a watch, or a car, that has been running for seven years or one that only ran for a year?“

https://www.fratellowatches.com/you-ask ... s-running/
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

mvlow wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:45 am
"Let’s put it this way; if you don’t use your car you won’t let it run as well, do you? In the end, would you like to have a watch, or a car, that has been running for seven years or one that only ran for a year?“
There's probably no right answer to this question but the above is where I'm at. I don't anticipate ever buying a winder.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

I had three quad winders in use when I worked, but they’d been idle for five years since retiring, so I gave them away when I moved.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

My lovely looking Duo winder is gathering a lot of dust currently and will continue to do so I feel.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

I like the winder for watches I am regularly wearing, purely so I don't have to reset if I let one go over its power reserve, but otherwise I would not bother. I have a 4 holer as I see a moonphase coming at some point. For me the winder means not having to reset from dormant, but most of my watches I leave until I need them, then maybe they go on the winder of I am going to wear them as part of my daily shuffle.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)