Discuss Christopher Ward watches
UncleDicky
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 7

Quartz question

Post by UncleDicky »

evening all,
My wife's Trident C300 38mm blue needs a new battery, it was a new watch in 2016, now I might as well get the seals changed whilst I am at it and then the watch will be going up for sale, this is because she want's an Elliot Brown.

Question -
should I send it back to CW for new seals and battery or will and quality watchmaker be able to do this (we have several very good ones round here)?
I would think that warranty wise it needs to go to C W but I am slightly cautious about this because the turnaround time appears to be about 8-12 weeks at the moment and ideally we'd like to get this shifted this side of Christmas -
If I do get it done locally I will get them to pressure test it and provide the PT certificate.
any ideas?

aye
R
C9 Marine Chronometer Small Seconds, C8 Mk2 Aviator, C600 Trident Pro; Lum-Tec Combat B19, Elliot Brown Canford, Smiths Everest, Casio Protrek.
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: Circular Wave Quartz question

Post by Essex Paul »

If it were me, send to CW. Then all the paperwork will match and 60/60 still intact = higher price.

But if you're in a hurry then you have no choice but to go local. Depends how desperate you are to get rid. :thumbup:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
UncleDicky
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 7

Re: Quartz question

Post by UncleDicky »

Thanks Paul, I think I'll take the CW route.
Regards
Richard
C9 Marine Chronometer Small Seconds, C8 Mk2 Aviator, C600 Trident Pro; Lum-Tec Combat B19, Elliot Brown Canford, Smiths Everest, Casio Protrek.
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

UncleDicky wrote:Thanks Paul, I think I'll take the CW route.
Regards
Richard
Probably wise.

The last thing you want if you are planning to sell is for a local jeweller to invalidate the warranty and possibly scratch the case, nip a seal, etc etc.

Particularly as CW charges are blooming reasonable.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

smegwina wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:53 pm
UncleDicky wrote:Thanks Paul, I think I'll take the CW route.
Regards
Richard
Probably wise.

The last thing you want if you are planning to sell is for a local jeweller to invalidate the warranty and possibly scratch the case, nip a seal, etc etc.

Particularly as CW charges are blooming reasonable.

^^^^ What he said. :thumbup:
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I too wouldn't risk anything other than sending it back to CW.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Thegreyman wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:10 pm I too wouldn't risk anything other than sending it back to CW.
Likewise; you know it makes sense. :thumbup:

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Opening the watch back and replacing the battery by yourself or a local jeweler does not the void the warranty. This has been discussed before. Sending it to CW and wait 2-3 months is ridiculous..

Buy a case back opener and a $1 battery and do it yourself. It ain't rocket science, people.. It's like replacing the battery in a car or flash light. Or do you send those back to the manufacturer as well? :-k
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

nordwulf wrote:Opening the watch back and replacing the battery by yourself or a local jeweler does not the void the warranty. Sending it to CW and wait 2-3 months is ridiculous..

Buy a case back opener and a $1 battery and do it yourself. It ain't rocket science, people..
No it isn't. But if you want to sell it, and the local jeweller shags up the case back or nips the seal, then is it really worth saving 25 quid on getting CW to do it?

Fine if you are keeping the watch, but if you are selling it, I would get them to do it.

Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

^^^how can you ensure you re-seal it properly....or are you not bothered about that?
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Buy a new seal if you're really concerned about that and do it yourself. Have it pressure-tested locally if you wish.
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

nordwulf wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:49 pm Opening the watch back and replacing the battery by yourself or a local jeweler does not the void the warranty. This has been discussed before. Sending it to CW and wait 2-3 months is ridiculous..

Buy a case back opener and a $1 battery and do it yourself. It ain't rocket science, people.. It's like replacing the battery in a car or flash light. Or do you send those back to the manufacturer as well? :-k
Completely misses the OP’s point. :-k
C65 Trident Diver Blue
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Essex Paul wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:22 pm
nordwulf wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:49 pm Opening the watch back and replacing the battery by yourself or a local jeweler does not the void the warranty. This has been discussed before. Sending it to CW and wait 2-3 months is ridiculous..

How is that? Dicky was concerned about the warranty.
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

nordwulf wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:34 pm
Essex Paul wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:22 pm

How is that? Dicky was concerned about the warranty.

IF the jeweller or whoever makes a hash of it,
then A) warranty (like anything) is void and B) lessens value as he wants to sell it.

Car battery or torch not the same.
Up to OP course.
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Stone Hall

Post by Stone Hall »

You could sell it as-is leaving the decision up to the buyer. That’s option...4? And it’s actually the fastest option you have.

Send to CW
Jeweler
DIY
Sell as-is
For all evils there are two remedies - time and silence.

The Count of Monte Cristo