CW watch design suggestions

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Somo

Re: CW watch design suggestions

Post by Somo »

C60 Trident Bronze GMT 600 COSC Using Modified SH21 (elabore?) movement 38mm and 41/43mm limited edition.

what is the use of copying rolex? You guys do great bronze watches, great dive watches and are one of the few companies venturing into the 38mm.
Copying rolex and tudor pepsi gets you nothing original. Seeing the spate of great bronze divers (I own 1) This could be a really strong USP, especially given how much the bronze watch market and small watch market is picking up.

note the recently announced ORIS 65 bronze diver 36mm as a case in point.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Welcome.

The SH21 movement has no GMT functionality currently and I am not certain if a module can even be added. Even if it could, I suspect it it would make the SH21 to thick to be practical. It is already a thick movement and is to large to be used in a 38mm case. Currently there is a C60 Bronze GMT LE, but in a 43mm using an ETA movement. The C65 is available as a 41mm, not a GMT, but an SH21 movement.

As to the "Pepsi" bezel, several companies have done them including CW several years ago. The future C65 "Pepsi" is in response to perceived demand I'm sure.

The Oris 65 is a bronze bezel with a stainless steel case. Yes it is now available in 3 sizes, but as a non GMT, not COSC so I am not certain what you are comparing unless you are saying that the C60, generally speaking, you would like to see 3 sizes.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Somo

Post by Somo »

in terms of comparison i was making two points
1. smaller dials are becoming more and more the style. Current sweet spot is around 40mm i would think, but more and more companies are coming out with smaller ones..

2. https://www.professionalwatches.com/the ... iber-sh21/
https://masterhorologer.com/2014/07/09/ ... automatic/
so yes there is a plan to build in the GMT functionality into SH21. ALso are you suggesting that CW invested 4 years on a base movement that cant be modified? i am pretty sure there was an interview of jahnke where he says it as well.

3. Lastly SH21 is a 32.7mm movement should fit a 38mm case is my guess ;)

lets not get defensive about a suggestion?

P.S do google "Watches with Pepsi bezel" you'll notice everyone under the sky is making one... not to say CW should not make one, they should... but it does not really stand out in the crowd... my two cents
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Somo wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:06 am in terms of comparison i was making two points
1. smaller dials are becoming more and more the style. Current sweet spot is around 40mm i would think, but more and more companies are coming out with smaller ones.
I agree. In general, I think the era of dinner plate size watches is past for awhile. There will always be a need/demand for large watches, but the "norm" will be in the 38-42mm range Ithink
2. https://www.professionalwatches.com/the ... iber-sh21/
https://masterhorologer.com/2014/07/09/ ... automatic/
so yes there is a plan to build in the GMT functionality into SH21. ALso are you suggesting that CW invested 4 years on a base movement that cant be modified? i am pretty sure there was an interview of jahnke where he says it as well.
I did not say that the SH21 could not be modified. There have been a few mods already. Frankly, I had forgotten that a gmt was initially planned for the SH21.
3. Lastly SH21 is a 32.7mm movement should fit a 38mm case is my guess ;)
In theory yes, but I believe that there are proportion issues at play here, and I could be mistaken, but I believe that CW has stated somewhere that it is not viable in a 38mm.
lets not get defensive about a suggestion?
I was not being defensive. I was just not clear exactly what your points were. Sorry if I came across that way.
P.S do google "Watches with Pepsi bezel" you'll notice everyone under the sky is making one... not to say CW should not make one, they should... but it does not really stand out in the crowd... my two cents
What you say here is exactly my point. You had stated that CW should not copy Rolex/Tudor. I simply said that many others have done them, including CW.

Now that you are in here, why not stop by the Member Introduction area and tells us about yourself.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

^^^^ Re the smallest case size for the SH21, I asked Chris this when the SH21 was launched a few years ago and he said 40mm was the smallest case size that could accommodate it. If that's still true then that will be a bit of a constraint going forwards if the trend for smaller watches continues.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Joojing it up a bit. The stick hands can be a bit plain. Automatic movement, no dat and classic word mark.

nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

CW watch design suggestions

Post by gaf1958 »

^^^ Interesting. Surprisingly I prefer the existing dial and handset. I had wondered what it would look like with the classic Trident styling (which I guess really means the hands, with the markers to a lesser extent) and having seen it, I think the two distinct personalities are better.

I also suspect that as they stand, more people would include at least one of each (of the c60/65) in a collection. With similar dial and hands, I’d guess that not as many would be inclined to do so.

Owning a C65, I have to admit that I’ve never even noticed the new word logo to be honest. It’s nowhere near the blight on the dial that many call it, it’s largely innocuous until you deliberately look at it, and even then, it just fades into the background again afterwards.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Been wondering whether CW will, at some point, bring out a steel version of this one with a bracelet option.
28184EB0-DA71-495A-9DC0-4BCF7FB67190.jpeg
Frank would you be able to knock up what a stainless steel blue dial, blue bezel C65 Trident SH21 small seconds on bracelet would look like please.

I reckon it would even be a watch that I could see myself buying.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
welshlad

Post by welshlad »

^^^^ Neil, this mirrors my thoughts exactly. I think a steel version on bracelet would finally see me buying a C65 Diver too, especially if it didn't have the old radium lume.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

welshlad wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:16 am ^^^^ Neil, this mirrors my thoughts exactly. I think a steel version on bracelet would finally see me buying a C65 Diver too, especially if it didn't have the old radium lume.
I think that for me the small seconds would fill out the dial more than the standard SS centre seconds version. The L2L is spot on for me for the style of watch, however whilst the case is only 41mm I know that with the narrow bezel I would end up thinking the dial was too large. The small seconds would also give a bit of variety, as all my small seconds watches are of a dressy style that I wouldn’t put anywhere near water.

Neil
TZ-UK
welshlad

Post by welshlad »

nbg wrote:I think that for me the small seconds would fill out the dial more than the standard SS centre seconds version. The L2L is spot on for me for the style of watch, however whilst the case is only 41mm I know that with the narrow bezel I would end up thinking the dial was too large. The small seconds would also give a bit of variety, as all my small seconds watches are of a dressy style that I wouldn’t put anywhere near water.

Neil
I agree entirely.
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

C65 SS on bracelet with small seconds as requested. Great suggestion. :thumbup:

Put in a less expensive ETA/Sellita movement , price it at £895 (same as C65 GMT) and this would be very difficult to resist.

nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

^^^^^ Thanks Frank. :thumbup:

That does look rather splendid. :)

Neil
TZ-UK
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

That does look nice. Maybe the cost could be even less than the £895 for the GMT as it will not have that (GMT) complication.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way