Thinking of selling up...

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
DannyO
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Thinking of selling up...

Post by DannyO »

Dear CW enthusiasts.

I've been a low level collector of watches for 9 years, my first being a CW C4 Quartz in 2009. I followed this with a C5 auto, C40, C3, C8 Blackhawk IPK and a C600 amongst a few dozen other brands. I feel like I was there at the start and that I own some CW history.

I only ever sold one watch, the C600. I missed it for a while but- got over it eventually.

Recent trouble is, I got a Tag from a forum member. Its only a cheapie but I haven't worn any other watch now for about a year. Every time I look in my drawer it pains me to see these unworn pieces staring back. I used to rotate them but now they get no wear at all.

Here's the question- anyone ever moved on their collection? How did it make you feel?????
C3SWT, C4CF18, C40IPK, C5AKS, C7STS, C8IPK
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Re: Thinking of selling up...

Post by scooter »

If you have found a watch that you wear to the exclusion of all others and get no satisfaction in owning the rest I would sell them.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

We're all different so do what is best for you.

If you haven't worn those other watches in a year and feel no real attachment to them, sell them and then maybe do something with the money - holiday, present for self/loved ones....
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

Sell them. Job done.
DannyO
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by DannyO »

Of course, it should have said MOVED on. Not LOVED on!
C3SWT, C4CF18, C40IPK, C5AKS, C7STS, C8IPK
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

It looks like you've found your "one watch" so sell the others with no regrets.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

Have to agree with everyone.
Sell them, unless you think the love will come back.

People and feelings change over time and if you’re sure you’ll NEVER want to wear them again then sell up and use the cash for something else.

If you get the love back for CW you can always buy again. Older versions sometimes come up on eBay and the for sale section here.

Good luck. :thumbup:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Bounce
Guru
Guru

Post by Bounce »

All I will say is make sure you really want to get rid of them, I sold my Rolex GMT Coke & my Omega Speedmaster a number of years ago because I hadn't worn them for a while after I bought a Bond Seamaster that didn't leave my wrist.
Move on a few years & I have another Speedmaster & really miss my GMT.
Just be certain or you may regret it.
Panerai Luminor GMT.
Omega Speedmaster Professional.
Tudor Pepsi GMT.
Tudor Harrods BB
Bremont ALT1 World Timer
C60 Trident MK3 GMT.
C60 Trident MK3 Tide.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

If you need or can make good use of the cash raised, sell. Otherwise (assuming when you bought you liked the watches in your collection more than in passing) keep them as times change and what is now taken for granted is much missed when it's gone.

good luck.

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
ndabunka
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 3
LE-foura: yes

Post by ndabunka »

DannyO wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:54 pm Dear CW enthusiasts.

I've been a low level collector of watches for 9 years, my first being a CW C4 Quartz in 2009. I followed this with a C5 auto, C40, C3, C8 Blackhawk IPK and a C600 amongst a few dozen other brands. I feel like I was there at the start and that I own some CW history.

I only ever sold one watch, the C600. I missed it for a while but- got over it eventually.

Recent trouble is, I got a Tag from a forum member. Its only a cheapie but I haven't worn any other watch now for about a year. Every time I look in my drawer it pains me to see these unworn pieces staring back. I used to rotate them but now they get no wear at all.

Here's the question- anyone ever moved on their collection? How did it make you feel?????
I've had a number of automatic CWs & it was a PITA dealing with winding each time I wanted to wear a different one so, like you, I found myself wearing one watch almost exclusively at a time. Sometimes that would be for months rather than weeks. When CW came out with the red/black C60 300 Quartz I decided to give it a try as I figured I can always drop it in a drawer whenever I wanted to wear one of the autos.

Over the years I have sold off a LE Scooter & a C700 Grand Rapide (limited production as well). I do miss them but I have found that I REALLY like the two I have settled upon. A C9 5 Day & the C60 300 as this gives me basically a week of wear with either one before I have to bother winding the 5 day auto.
The 3 C's of life: choices, chances, change. You have to make a choice to take a chance or your life will never change!
If you don't make a choice, the choice makes you...
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I have been here there and everywhere with this line of thinking, and I’m “trying” to experiment with lesser worn watches at the moment, though that is hard since I got the Blue Vintage Diver. My advice is therefore utterly unreliable and I will simply wish you luck.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

ndabunka wrote:......
I do miss them but I have found that I REALLY like the two I have settled upon. A C9 5 Day & the C60 300 as this gives me basically a week of wear with either one before I have to bother winding the 5 day auto.
Great point. One of the reasons I bought the C1 5 day PR. I can leave if off for a few days whilst wearing my other daily automatic. Then pop the C1 back on again.
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Proodscot

Post by Proodscot »

You'll know when you are ready to sell them. Until you do, no need to worry.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

If you'd had the TAG for a couple of months then I would have said hang on for a while. But a whole year without wearing anything else?
Unless you have some sentimental attachment to any of the other watches then sell them.

Alternatively don't wear the TAG for a week, 2 weeks or a month and wear each of the other watches, 1 per day or such-like. That should tell you how much you want to wear the TAG at all times and which of the other watches you wouldn't miss.
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

I started off with just one watch, and wore it exclusively for about six years. However, it was a “one-size-does-not-quite-fit-anyone” style; not quite robust enough to be a true beater, not dressy enough for posh evenings out, not toolish enough and not sporty enough... That is the reason I have added a bunch of extra watches so I can pick and choose what I need from day to day.
If you have found that one watch that fits your whole lifestyle for a year I would certainly stick with it and shift in the rest of your collection!

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.