C60 Trident Ombre COSC

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: C60 Trident Ombre COSC

Post by downer »

^^ How can you know that?

I seems equally plausible to me that a design decision was made (to go from red to white), but, for whatever reason, not communicated to the marketing team. These things happen, even if they should not.
Richard
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

^^ We're all entitled to our opinions Richard and thats mine. If it was the odd picture of red then fair enough, but every single one, including the ones selling the watch on the website? Scotts reply basically says the same - I've had a look and they are white so I'll get the photos changed (basically, it seems, he was expecting red too). These things happen? Yeah, maybe if you work in an industry that you can get away with it. A simple mistake like that in my business could cost a life so I guess some of us have a different outlook as to how meticulous you need to be with small details and communication between teams. But, as we seem to live in a world where people generally aren't made accountable for their actions for fear of discrimination then everything must be OK - so, the basic response 'just change the photos, it'll be reet' doesn't wash with me. Sorry for not being the type of person that just lies down and accepts things.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

TigerChris wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:45 pm ^^ We're all entitled to our opinions Richard and thats mine. If it was the odd picture of red then fair enough, but every single one, including the ones selling the watch on the website? Scotts reply basically says the same - I've had a look and they are white so I'll get the photos changed (basically, it seems, he was expecting red too). These things happen? Yeah, maybe if you work in an industry that you can get away with it. A simple mistake like that in my business could cost a life so I guess some of us have a different outlook as to how meticulous you need to be with small details and communication between teams. But, as we seem to live in a world where people generally aren't made accountable for their actions for fear of discrimination then everything must be OK - so, the basic response 'just change the photos, it'll be reet' doesn't wash with me. Sorry for not being the type of person that just lies down and accepts things.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion although I do disagree with it.

We have here and error that slipped through the entire system somehow. A change was made or a production error occurred. Either way the watch does not match the photos. The decision has obviously been made that the white lettering is how it will be and the photos will be corrected. CW will deal with the returns and apologies to those that are not happy. They will also look to determine where things went wrong internally. What else would you have them do? Could this be another time to take CW out back and flog him? Would that satisfy you?

I don't think you can compare compare the watch industry with life and death situations. I am sure the parameters for training and procedures are considerably different.

The fact remains that despite the error(s), the watch has been a great seller. That tells me that very few have actually noticed the mistake, or care, including our own moderator"downer". It also tells me that we are far to sensitive about these things. It is a watch. The level of acceptance will be placed with those that have purchased already. Keep it or return it. The correction will be made, we will move forward and Chris shall heal from his flogging.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
downer

Post by downer »

TigerChris wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:45 pm ^^ We're all entitled to our opinions Richard and thats mine. If it was the odd picture of red then fair enough, but every single one, including the ones selling the watch on the website? Scotts reply basically says the same - I've had a look and they are white so I'll get the photos changed (basically, it seems, he was expecting red too). These things happen? Yeah, maybe if you work in an industry that you can get away with it. A simple mistake like that in my business could cost a life so I guess some of us have a different outlook as to how meticulous you need to be with small details and communication between teams. But, as we seem to live in a world where people generally aren't made accountable for their actions for fear of discrimination then everything must be OK - so, the basic response 'just change the photos, it'll be reet' doesn't wash with me. Sorry for not being the type of person that just lies down and accepts things.
I've got no problems with opinions, Chris - after all, that's what discussion forums are about.

However, sometimes, "opinions" seem to be expressed as "facts", and I read your post in that way. That was all. :D
Richard
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Just a disappointing saga really - some new owners have had disappointment and confusion instead of anticipation and satisfaction. It's still a nice watch, but it will always be to me and to many others the Trident Bronze without the Red text, unless some appear in red of course. :lol:
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by biggus_richus »

The prototype has red text. May be up for sale at some point.
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

biggus_richus wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:41 am The prototype has red text. May be up for sale at some point.
Well you can stick me down for that one
...which would meet expectations!
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by willttqs »

Mine is going back too now, I received an email from Scott today to suggest that the 12 o'clock markings were within tolerance. I am little disappointed that a swiss made relatively luxury watch maker has such a thing as tolerances with regards to the dial. I feel that I will not spend this sort of money again on a CW, but might look at a bronze if one is in the sale again.
Markornot
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by Markornot »

willttqs wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:01 pm Mine is going back too now, I received an email from Scott today to suggest that the 12 o'clock markings were within tolerance. I am little disappointed that a swiss made relatively luxury watch maker has such a thing as tolerances with regards to the dial. I feel that I will not spend this sort of money again on a CW, but might look at a bronze if one is in the sale again.
This sounds like the sort of response I have read that people receive from the likes of Seiko...It seems what was once exceptional customer service may becoming a more typical average customer service, providing just enough to keep the customer off their back...it has been,I don’t want to say, a concern because I am not, but an observation of more frequent brush off responses, slow turn arounds, and lackluster QC that is indicative of a company perhaps becoming more interested in increasing sales than appeasing a small cadre of loyal followers. There are many boutique watch makers and more coming so my choices are many...If my loyality to a brand is no longer needed there are lots of opportunities to feed my habit with some beautiful designs. Frankly one of my criteria used to be preferential to Swiss...but after exploring some other micro brands, I have found the ETA and Sellita movements have been less consistent, more troublesome and really offer little more over mainstream non-Swiss stock movements other than the mystique of Swiss branding...things change...it’s the way of the world...if this is not an anomaly but a trend, I will certainly miss the old CW but it won’t be prevent me from further purchases...it just may not be the place I come to first any longer, anxiously awaiting the next offering. As long as CW continues to offer the 60/60...the risks are zero, even if dedication to customer satisfaction is not once what it was.
Mark
CW - C8 Flyer, C6 JHMk3, C7 Corsa Rosso LE, C3 Chronograph, C8 Reg | TAG Heuer F1 | Orient - Black Raven II, Bambino, Star Seeker GMT, Galant, Monarch | Seagull - Grn Military, Moon Phase | Tissot - Visodate | Steinhart - NavA Pilot MW, NavB Vintage
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Within any given area of manufacture there have to be manufacturing tolerances. It's that eternal triangle of cost, time and manpower. The smaller those tolerances the more the cost of the item. I wouldn't expect the same tolerances from say Ford or Vauxhall or similar against for example Bentley but if I could only live with smaller tolerances I'd have to go beyond the likes of Ford and Vauxhall and expect to have to pay for it.

Maybe we need to understand the tolerances of manufacture acceptable to CW at their price level as it seems they are not compatible with the expectations of some of their customers at that price level. As has been stated the customer has the ultimate choice of where their money is spent and the 60/60 is there from CW to help our choice.

If it looks wrong to our eyes then we have the potential to maybe re-order another of the same watch to see if that's the same or better and return those that looks wrong?
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

An old adage from my younger days springs to mind;-

Champagne tastes, beer income. :wink:

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

The last three posts are all about customer expectation and what is reasonable.

Does anyone expect the same fit and finish on a mass market Seiko dive watch, as they would on say a Rolex Submariner? No.

Does anyone expect the same fit and finish on a mass market Ford, as they would on say a Bentley? No.

However, as far as I am aware neither Seiko or Ford set out expectations that they are comparable quality wise with the Premium Brands in their respective markets.

CW have been known to adopt a different approach, with the occasional piece of marketing and sales copy that implies they are also a premium product, with a distinguishing factor between themselves and the big boys as same quality, but much lower prices because we don’t rip you off price wise.

Well CW can’t expect to have it both ways, so if they want to play with the big boys, they need to adopt similar tolerances to those brands, or stop trying to pretend that they are comparable.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
downer

Post by downer »

Not sure where CW have said they have different tolerances to the big brands, Neil?

I would like to understand the full picture.

As far as I can tell, the watch had not been returned, but CS has said the markers appear to be within tolerance - presumably based on this picture...
097C3DDA-7C6E-491C-89D9-D8E1CCC7DF61.jpeg

We don't know if the buyer has asked them to repair it, refund it or whatever (perhaps he can comment?). What we do know is he can simply return it for a full refund. Presumably, when CW receive the watch back, they can decide whether to scrap, re-dial, or re-sell - based on their tolerances?
Richard
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^^^ I haven’t bothered looking at how wonky the dodgy markers that one or more forumites have commented on in this thread, as pictures on screen are sometimes difficult to see the true picture.

However those forumites who have received watches with this “aspect” can clearly see that they are out of alignment with true. I assume you accept that to be the case?

Therefore if that is the case, do you think that if the owner of say a Rolex, Tudor, Omega etc.. (picking three mid tier premium brands) received a watch with similarly applied markers, they would be told that it was acceptable?

I realise that the 60/60 is a backstop.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
downer

Post by downer »

I completely agree that it is very difficult to tell if markers are out of true by looking at pictures - and for that reason I would very much expect all the brands you mention would want to see the watch before arriving at any kind of definitive conclusion. In fact, in marginal cases, I doubt they would take the word of the AD's either.

In the case of this CW, I am surprised if the CS team have said it is "within tolerance" without seeing the watch, although again, I'm not sure what question they were answering.
Richard