Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Re: C1 Grand Malvern Worldtimer on website

Post by mvlow »

Having a discussion about a mistake on the dial on the FB group right now. One member pointed out that on the dial it shows that Moscow is four hours ahead of London, but in reality it is either two or three hours ahead of London depending on whether London is on standard time or daylight saving time. Moscow does not use daylight savings time so does not change its time during the year. At no time during the year is Moscow four hours ahead of London as illustrated on the dial. If this is correct, and it looks like it is, then this is a big oops.

My quote from the FB page: " I might be confusing this, but I think it is still wrong. The clocks went back in England a few days ago, so it is 7:17pm in London right now and 10:17pm in Moscow. Last week before the time change in London it would have been 8:17 pm at the same time as it was 10:17 pm in Moscow as the time in Moscow doesn't change. So last week Moscow was two hours ahead, and today they are three hours ahead. At no time are they four hours ahead. Am I right, or am I totally discombobulating this."
Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 12.37.55 PM.png
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

^^^ in October 2014, Moscow moved to UTC+3 from +4.

Some of CWs design inspiration came from existing world timers as there were some old city references in the prototypes/renders shown in the chat with Chris.

These have been addressed, but it looks as though Moscow +4 hasn't been.
Fingers crossed this is just a mistake on the web images and not the actual production watches!
Ryan
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

If Moscow is good enough for JLC...
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Not sure about Moscow, but it must be remembered that any device of this type is inevitably compromised by the Heath Robinson time zone system the world has adopted.

Countries either have or do not have DST, in some countries it operates at different times, some countries have 30 or even 15 minute offsets and some countries (e.g. Spain) have aligned themselves historically with allies that are, or should have been, in a separate zone. Some countries, like China, are big enough to have several time zones yet the whole country is aligned to one time zone. It’s a mess. How the hell can any watch that is not ipso facto a computer deal with that?

It would be a lot easier if:

Countries small enough to be in a single time zone aligned themselves with the 15°meridian which is closest to their geographical centre;

There were no DST or half-hour offsets.

Meanwhile this watch, like the moon phase, is a lovely complication that makes a very good fist at achieving the impossible (a bit like a 2-D moon phase that can’t show half moon or gibbous phases). Enjoy it for what it is.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

jtc wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:25 pm If Moscow is good enough for JLC...
However the JLC one looks to be correct?

London GMT is 3 hours behind Moscow.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

jtc wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:25 pm If Moscow is good enough for JLC...
On the JLC watch it shows Moscow as being 3 hours ahead of London which is correct for 6 months of the year. The CW shows Moscow as 4 hours ahead which is never correct.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:31 pm Not sure about Moscow, but it must be remembered that any device of this type is inevitably compromised by the Heath Robinson time zone system the world has adopted.

Countries either have or do not have DST, in some countries it operates at different times, some countries have 30 or even 15 minute offsets and some countries (e.g. Spain) have aligned themselves historically with allies that are, or should have been, in a separate zone. Some countries, like China, are big enough to have several time zones yet the whole country is aligned to one time zone. It’s a mess. How the hell can any watch that is not ipso facto a computer deal with that?

It would be a lot easier if:

Countries small enough to be in a single time zone aligned themselves with the 15°meridian which is closest to their geographical centre;

There were no DST or half-hour offsets.

Meanwhile this watch, like the moon phase, is a lovely complication that makes a very good fist at achieving the impossible (a bit like a 2-D moon phase that can’t show half moon or gibbous phases). Enjoy it for what it is.
All that being said, all the other countries appear correct. If Moscow is never 4 hours ahead of London it means it is wrong against all the other countries on the dial as well. The JLC watch got it right, so there is no reason CW couldn’t have gotten it right as well by putting Moscow three hours ahead of London.
Malcolm

Amor Vincit Omnia

Yes, I think we got the message.

We’ll make the bods at CW aware of it.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

The JLC in this thread looks like a proper view of the world, the CW looks a bit of a mess to these eyes. Just because there's plenty of water about doesn't mean you have to show so much of it.
Amor Vincit Omnia

The JLC view actually stops well North of the Equator. How do you propose not to show 2/3 of the world’s surface if not by distortion?
Steve

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

sproughton wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:41 pm The JLC in this thread looks like a proper view of the world, the CW looks a bit of a mess to these eyes. Just because there's plenty of water about doesn't mean you have to show so much of it.
Look again?

I think you'll find that the CW shows more land than the JLC, therefore less water!

As I wrote earlier;-
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:47 pm
If anything CW have done well to roll their image 'down' below the equator to show more of S. America, S. Africa and SE Asia than usual.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:48 pm The JLC view actually stops well North of the Equator. How do you propose not to show 2/3 of the world’s surface if not by distortion?
I'm happy with distortion if it looks good, I'd just rather see a view like the JLC. More of the world's land mass may be shown on the C1, but the JLC shows a better land to water ratio, unless my phone / eyes are deceiving me.

In short, I'm not a fan.
Amor Vincit Omnia

No problem. I think this one was always going to polarise opinion, if you’ll forgive the pun.

I like it but will be unlikely to buy it because it’s probably a bit too big for my tastes, and it’s not a complication I would use, unlike the GMT.
Steve

StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:50 pm
sproughton wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:41 pm The JLC in this thread looks like a proper view of the world, the CW looks a bit of a mess to these eyes. Just because there's plenty of water about doesn't mean you have to show so much of it.
Look again?

I think you'll find that the CW shows more land than the JLC, therefore less water!

As I wrote earlier;-
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:47 pm
If anything CW have done well to roll their image 'down' below the equator to show more of S. America, S. Africa and SE Asia than usual.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
Guy
I think it's the CWs lower "land:disk ratio" that others are probably getting at here.
Ryan