Jaguar to sue Christopher Ward

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Jaguar to sue Christopher Ward

Post by golfjunky »

Any owners of said watch on here ?
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

It would be interesting to read the legal advice received by CW when they launched all of these watches.

Difficult to imagine that the directors of CW would have gone ahead without such advice.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

nbg wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:38 pm Difficult to imagine that the directors of CW would have gone ahead without such advice.

Neil
I agree wholeheartedly here. Problem is, I imagine Jaguar has deeper pockets and could pursue this regardless of CW’s legal foundation simply because they can afford to. It could be expensive to defend against regardless of how firm a footing their position is.
Drew
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Not to judge as I too am no lawyer, but I would say Jaguar are also on tricky legal ground here. They may win on a trade mark infringement, I don't know exactly what CW referenced eg is "D-type" trademarked? But they will certainly have to prove level of financial damage. For what the case will cost this seems pointless over a few LE watches. Meanwhile surely CW took legal advice beforehand given that they are doing this sort of tribute all the time. This will be no clear victory for either side but the parasites will make out.

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

How CW "damaged the distinctive character of the brand" by selling a few watches is beyond me.

Get a grip Jaguar and concentrate on making cars. :thumbdown:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Imagine if DFS made sofas in homage to the seats in old cars, then ran adverts using the Jaguar name. It's just not cricket.

Hopefully a quickly resolved problem though.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Thegreyman wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:11 pm How CW "damaged the distinctive character of the brand" by selling a few watches is beyond me.

Get a grip Jaguar and concentrate on making cars. :thumbdown:
That sums it up Patrick. Cue blowback?

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neilj568 »

either way the lawyers are quids in..... :thumbdown:
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

Please remember this is a public forum... it is reasonable to think that lawyers will view and possibly use comments from this forum.
Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

It will be interesting to see how this pans out, but all publicity is good publicity!

Of course, CW have got a bit of previous here with the C90 Beckett's a few years ago, which had to be renamed as the C90 Power Reserve when the owners of the copyright to the name Beckett's complained. [-X
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
monkwearmouth
Senior
Senior

Post by monkwearmouth »

The amateur vibe is part of the CW charm, but this is extraordinary. I am an in house lawyer (semi retired) and the obvious course of action would have been to clear it with JLR before release. Far too late now. Jaguar clearly must take action to prevent any business from Berkshire to Guangdong Province from selling products in any way associated with or relying on the Jaguar brand name. Unbelievable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

H0rati0 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:37 pm Not to judge as I too am no lawyer, but I would say Jaguar are also on tricky legal ground here. They may win on a trade mark infringement, I don't know exactly what CW referenced eg is "D-type" trademarked? But they will certainly have to prove level of financial damage. For what the case will cost this seems pointless over a few LE watches. Meanwhile surely CW took legal advice beforehand given that they are doing this sort of tribute all the time. This will be no clear victory for either side but the parasites will make out.
maybe things are different in england, but i don't think the broad strokes of our legal systems are that different. the issue with trademarks is that if you don't protect them whenever someone violates them, eventually you lose them.

you might think that letting people call making a copy "xeroxing" or using "kleenex" instead of tissue would be good for those brands, but it's not. if it becomes colloquial, the trademark could be lost. so when copiers started out and became more common, xerox often filed cease and desist orders when TV shows said "xeroxing" or sued others for using the term colloquially to protect the name.

now, this is a little different, in that CW didn't actually use the jaguar name, but they also need to protect their name from others trading on it, even inferentially. let's be honest, why should CW be able to use jaguar to make money and not have to at least pay jaguar for the right to do so? and if jaguar sells the rights to use the jaguar name to bremont, shouldn't they protect both themselves and their partner from other watch brands trading on their name (directly or indirectly)? and if bremont sees other watch brands trading on the jaguar legacy, but they're paying jaguar for the privilege, shouldn't they be unhappy? they could threaten jaguar with allowing the name to be diluted in the watch industry and thus damaging the value of what they paid jaguar for.
the "g" is for Greg...
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I'm maybe missing something here but why did Jaguar not take out an injunction 4 years ago when CW were actually selling this watch, rather than now long after they don't (sell it).
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
reggie747
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by reggie747 »

Thegreyman wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:53 am I'm maybe missing something here but why did Jaguar not take out an injunction 4 years ago when CW were actually selling this watch, rather than now long after they don't (sell it).
Of course Patrick, if we knew the answer to that question, the thread wouldn't have got past 2 posts perhaps ? :lol:
Fluffy cuddly kittens and little puppy dogs.......????
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Official statement from CW..

“We strongly reject the claims made against us and will be vigorously defending our position. There has been no infringement and we do not believe this matter should ever have reached Court”.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.