C60 Trident Ombre COSC

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

C60 Trident Ombre COSC

Post by what-time-is-it »

Mentioned in the Autumn Loupe edition and due for release in November.

Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: C60 Trident Ombre COSC

Post by downer »

I was fortunate to see a prototype of this watch a few months ago. I know it would not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I was very taken with it - enough to make a ‘reservation’ (in my head) there and then.

Since then, I had forgotten some of the detail, but this picture is enough to make me sure I will buy one. The contrast between distressed dial and ceramic bezel looked great - to my eyes. :)
Richard
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by what-time-is-it »

Is the bezel a matt finish like the now discontinued Trident Vintage, or is it the normal ceramic as seen on most C60's?
Looks matt in the pics.

I agree however, looks different in a good way.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

That is a lovely looking dial - it fills a niche that I didn’t know existed, but that I certainly approve of!
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
downer

Post by downer »

what-time-is-it wrote:Is the bezel a matt finish like the now discontinued Trident Vintage, or is it the normal ceramic as seen on most C60's?
Looks matt in the pics.

I agree however, looks different in a good way.
My memory is not great - and it was a prototype, so it may have changed. I agree though, the picture makes it appear to be a matt finish on the bezel.
Richard
Savagemouse
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 3

Post by Savagemouse »

For a teaser I like it a lot. Though I don't know if I could have another trident :silent:

That dial is something else though, one to keep in mind for sure if i move certain pieces on
Matt
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

downer wrote:I was fortunate to see a prototype of this watch a few months ago. I know it would not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I was very taken with it - enough to make a ‘reservation’ (in my head) there and then.

Since then, I had forgotten some of the detail, but this picture is enough to make me sure I will buy one. The contrast between distressed dial and ceramic bezel looked great - to my eyes. :)
i didnt think you liked faux finishes on watches?
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
downer

Post by downer »

golfjunky wrote:
downer wrote:I was fortunate to see a prototype of this watch a few months ago. I know it would not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I was very taken with it - enough to make a ‘reservation’ (in my head) there and then.

i didnt think you liked faux finishes on watches?
My opinions do tend to change here and there. :D

In theory, you are right, but in this case, the dial looked great against the bronze case - and the contrast with the bezel was appealing. Overall, it looked great - and that's all that really matters in the end, I guess.
Richard
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

^^^ It depends upon your definition of "faux finish". Rather like 'faux news" a faux finish can be many things to many people.
i also saw this prototype a few months ago. The dial is deliberately made to look this way and in that sense is not faux/false. CW were rather proud of the work they and their dial supplier had done to make uniquely patina'd dials like this. The impression of it being an aged dial in some way could be a false impression but this isn't a copy of any other tropical aged dial.
Aesthetically it is somewhat challenging IRL. I was not a fan when I first saw it. I think "Yuck" might have been my first impression. However it does grow on you. I'm not sure I'd ever buy one but it is a fascinating dial to look at. This one is sure to be divisive and I rather think that's the point.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

This looks very nice in the teaser photo, however so did the C65 GMT and so I am reserving judgement until release
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

Marmite watch, but unlike that unpalatable spread I love this C60 version. If I was still buying this would be in the shopping basket when it comes out. Looking forward to seeing full pictures.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Obviously I saw it at the same time, but in my case you would need to mentally insert NOT after a few key verbs.

Very different reaction. As Richard says, likely to be a bit marmite.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Roman-r

Post by Roman-r »

I think a “hand-finish added wear” to the dial is a big mistake.

Scratch up the dial of a watch to make it look....... really ?
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Roman-r wrote:
Horses for courses, old boy. Not for me either, but then neither is bronze for much the same reason.

But for those who like them... :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Roman-r wrote:
Horses for courses, old boy. Not for me either, but then neither is bronze for much the same reason.

But for those who like them... :D
My first reaction to a bronze was - NO. Now having bought a C60 it’s - YES please. As for the Ombre - looking forward to seeing it. :D
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’