Planet Ocean 8900 43.5 vs other watches

A place to discuss other watch-brands
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Re: Planet Ocean 8900 43.5 vs other watches

Post by gaf1958 »

I’ve owned four POs in total; 2x 2500 and 2x 8500; all of them were superbly readable, better than any Aquis I’ve ever owned. As Richard said, the bright lights in an AD may make look very flashy and all that, but don’t represent how you see them 99.9% of the time.

I personally think the lighting does a disservice to most of their products, which is why I like an AD that trusts me enough to let me take the damn things outside to make a decision on them. Whether most do that is open to question, but if you’ve dealt with them before, or leave a cc or another valuable watch in their possession, or even if they’ll only do it while the sales rep is holding it, it’s worthwhile asking.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

This AD is in a huge shopping mall so taking them outside probably was not an option. The Omega boutique in metro Detroit is in a shopping mall as well. A good idea to ask though when you're at a regular store. Even holding it near an outside window would give you a better idea of how it would look in daylight.
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neilj568 »

My grail watch would probably be one of these https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omeg ... 0442101002 but the RRP is rather off putting.

It is a long term goal but are discounts likely to be available from an AD or would a decent pre owned be more sensible??
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

neilj568 wrote:My grail watch would probably be one of these https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omeg ... 0442101002 but the RRP is rather off putting.

It is a long term goal but are discounts likely to be available from an AD or would a decent pre owned be more sensible??
Neil, a quick search revealed a 2018 unworn model at 20% below the RRP (for sale in the UK on a well known watch reseller) so on that basis I suspect you will be able to get at least a modest discount at an Omega Boutique or more if you are prepared to buy nearly new.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neilj568 »

Thanks Patrick - I've looked in the window of the one in Edinburgh many times but never ventured inside. ..!!!!
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by AliBar »

neilj568 wrote:It is a long term goal but are discounts likely to be available from an AD or would a decent pre owned be more sensible??
"Discount" might be a dirty word to be used :). I have a PO and a Speedy from two different AD's and both were very accommodating - possibly after realising I was a genuine buyer and not a tyre-kicker. Both experiences were also not to be rushed. Enjoy the AD experience, try on a few variations, show you know a little about what you might be buying and even throw in a speculative "best price" query... worked for me. I didn't get 20% off, 12-14% IIRC, but I have UK AD stamps on everything and two AD's I would use again for their hands-on and personal service.
Alastair.

Double Member of the C80 Owners Club
Stefanus

Post by Stefanus »

I have the PO 8900 43.5. I have a small wrist and despite this the watch is extremely comfortable to wear because of its design. The short lugs and bracelet design allow the watch to sit comfortably on my wrist. The thickness doesn't bother me and the size of the watch gives it the right amount of presence for a dive watch in my opinion. I have had a number of dive watches including a Rolex Sea Dweller and the PO is a superb watch.
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

I have a Planet Ocean GMT (8605 movement), 43.5mm case and 17.04mm thick. I do have a larger wrist and skew towards watches in 42-44mm range. I deliberately bought mine on the Omega PO Rubber Strap to reduce weight, but intend on picking up a bracelet for it in the coming year (looking for pre-owned which is trickier with the 21mm lugs).

Love my PO GMT and do not feel it is unbalanced at all on the wrist.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
imbw
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by imbw »

Anyone happen to have have any photos comparing the C60 300m alongside a PO 2500?
CWL C9 Harrison Big Day-Date SWK, CWL C9 Harrison SGWT, CWL C60-TRI-SKCS, C61-TRI-SBS, Hamilton H64715885 Khaki Pilot, Seiko "Stargate" SKZ329K1, TW Steel CE 1052
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

I'll know soon enough how the PO 8900 compares to other watches.. Ordered this from an AD today and can hardly wait to experience that new luxury watch smell. Can't beat factory-fresh. :D

It took a while and also glad I can now move on with my life instead of checking grey market dealer, eBay and other sites for the best model and price ten times a day. Just hoping it is everything I expect it to be.

Now just waiting for the UPS truck all day tomorrow..

watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Last time I saw one of these in person I spotted it from across the room on the wrist of a client. Those lume plots really pop against that dial, plus the state of the art movement.... Great score. :thumbup: :clap: Will require wrist shots!
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

I received my PO today and I can say my worrying about the size was all for nothing. I haven't read this anywhere but the bezel diameter is actually only 42mm. Together with the 21mm bracelet width and lug-to-lug of 48mm, this 43.5mm PO actually wears smaller on the wrist than my 43mm Chr. Ward C60 (22mm bracelet / 51mm lug-to-lug/43mm bezel).

I sold my 43.5mm Aquis but the PO also looks smaller on the wrist. The extra height is a non-issue as well, I don't even notice it without another watch next to it. With the shape of the case, short lug-to-lug and 42mm bezel, the 43.5mm PO wears more like a 42 in my opinion.

43mm C60 - 43.5mm PO - 41mm SKX007

42mm Glycine - 43.5mm PO - 42.5mm Seiko

Most pictures you see are close-ups and often distorted because of the wide-angle lens of most phones. When looking at the my wrist at a normal distance, it looks just right.

And yeah, the PO is pretty awesome..! :)

nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^^ That looks rather good Frank.:thumbup:

I certainly hadn’t realised it was only 48mm lug to lug.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

grats and welcome to the PO club.
the "g" is for Greg...
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Just guessing, but I'll say that's a keeper. I am such a huge fan of George Daniels/Roger Smith. Had to make the hard choice between a Datejust or Omega this past winter. Maybe it's just me but I think that CoAxial movement IS a big deal. Absolutely state of the art. :thumbup: Still time...I'm not dead yet! :D
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight