Tiber leather Watch Strap

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
User avatar
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:29 pm
CW-watches: 2
Location: Oregon, USA

Tiber leather Watch Strap

Post by mvlow »

Does anyone have any experience with the CW 20mm Tiber leather watch strap that could share their thoughts. I am trying to find out the taper specs, which is not listed on the CW website and the quality and softness.

I am looking for a new leather strap for my Sinn 104 and most of the distressed leather 20mm straps I see from well known companies such as Fluco, Colareb etc. have a pretty significant taper from 20mm down to 16mm. I purchased a 20mm Fluco distressed leather and because of the taper it looks too thin for my taste on the Sinn. I would like a vintage/distressed leather strap with little or no taper. The Tiber looks like it fits into this category, but the website is not specific.

1. What is the taper?
2. Quality/softness of leather?
3. Would you recommend buying at $65?
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Seiko SKX007 Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking
User avatar
Bahnstormer_vRS
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 23661
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:06 pm
CW-watches: 26
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1
LESeven: 1
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

Re: Tiber leather Watch Strap

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

1. 20mm will taper to 18mm
2. Excellent quality; quite thick, 5mm? but very soft and supple
3. Yes

Guy
C4&W7 BBMF| C5 BOB LE| C5 FLE| C7 MkI 47AD| C7 MkII Harrier| C8 MkI| C8 Reg MkII| C8 M2.04 LE| C8 PR
C9 FLE| C9 Me109 SPC LE| C11 Mak Navy| C20 FLE| C40 x2| C60 K'fisher| C60 FLE x2
C60 Apex| C60 Elite GMT| C65 S'hurst-Diver-GMT-AM GT| C1000
User avatar
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:29 pm
CW-watches: 2
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Tiber leather Watch Strap

Post by mvlow »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:1. 20mm will taper to 18mm
2. Excellent quality; quite thick, 5mm? but very soft and supple
3. Yes

Guy
Thanks Guy. I am very tempted. It seems to fit the specs I am looking for.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Seiko SKX007 Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking
User avatar
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1474
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:54 pm
CW-watches: 5
Location: Plymouth, England, UK

Re: Tiber leather Watch Strap

Post by DISJT »

Exactly what GUY said.

My favourite CW straps by far.

Image

Image

Image
CHRIS
User avatar
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:29 pm
CW-watches: 2
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Tiber leather Watch Strap

Post by mvlow »

DISJT wrote:Exactly what GUY said.

My favourite CW straps by far.

Image

Image

Image
Thanks Chris. How close to the real colors are your pictures? I am trying to decide between the Camel and Brown straps. The Camel looks lighter in some pictures than others and the Brown looks darker. I like them both, but not sure if the Camel is a little too light for my Sinn.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Seiko SKX007 Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking
User avatar
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1474
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:54 pm
CW-watches: 5
Location: Plymouth, England, UK

Re: Tiber leather Watch Strap

Post by DISJT »

I'd say they both look darker in the picture than in reality but that would obviously depend on your screen settings.

The Camel was very light. (It was sold with the watch)

The Brown I have 2 of (1 worn and 1 new) the worn one (shown above) is quite a bit darker than the new one so they obviously darken up with little wear. (Or could vary dependant on batch?)
CHRIS
User avatar
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:29 pm
CW-watches: 2
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Tiber leather Watch Strap

Post by mvlow »

DISJT wrote:I'd say they both look darker in the picture than in reality but that would obviously depend on your screen settings.

The Camel was very light. (It was sold with the watch)

The Brown I have 2 of (1 worn and 1 new) the worn one (shown above) is quite a bit darker than the new one so they obviously darken up with little wear. (Or could vary dependant on batch?)
Thanks. I think I am leaning towards the brown one as the Camel may be a bit too light for my personal taste.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Seiko SKX007 Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking
User avatar
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1523
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:49 am
CW-watches: 3
Location: Bayern

Re: Tiber leather Watch Strap

Post by H0rati0 »

DISJT wrote:
The Brown I have 2 of (1 worn and 1 new) the worn one (shown above) is quite a bit darker than the new one so they obviously darken up with little wear. (Or could vary dependant on batch?)
I would agree, my camel version has become quite a bit darker at about a year old now and definitely tapers 2mm to the buckle.

Image

Image

I also concur that they are very comfortable chunky straps, I think you'll be pleased whatever colour you go for.

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
User avatar
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:29 pm
CW-watches: 2
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Tiber leather Watch Strap

Post by mvlow »

H0rati0 wrote:
DISJT wrote:
The Brown I have 2 of (1 worn and 1 new) the worn one (shown above) is quite a bit darker than the new one so they obviously darken up with little wear. (Or could vary dependant on batch?)
I would agree, my camel version has become quite a bit darker at about a year old now and definitely tapers 2mm to the buckle.

Image

Image

I also concur that they are very comfortable chunky straps, I think you'll be pleased whatever colour you go for.

nik
Thanks for sharing the pictures Nik. It does look like the Camel version darkens over time.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Seiko SKX007 Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking
User avatar
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:51 pm
CW-watches: 0

Re: Tiber leather Watch Strap

Post by TigerChris »

^^ I'll just note here that the 2 different Camel straps above were different colours to start with. Chris' looks like on 'old style' Tiber, which was a lot lighter in colour than the 'new style', which Niks looks like. I've had both, still own the new one, the lighter one now belongs to Dean (eddiethebeast) and so I can't do a side by side comparison, but it is worth noting the differences for you I think.
User avatar
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1474
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:54 pm
CW-watches: 5
Location: Plymouth, England, UK

Re: Tiber leather Watch Strap

Post by DISJT »

^^^ That would make sense Chris. It was purchased in the current summer sale and those straps are usually older stock they're trying to shift. It was very light in colour and didn't resemble Nik's

Further confirmation of colour variation between old and new....

Older brown on the left is darker than newer brown on the right. Newer versions are lined on rear.

Image

Image
CHRIS
User avatar
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:51 pm
CW-watches: 0

Re: Tiber leather Watch Strap

Post by TigerChris »

^^ The easy way to identify which one you have is the old ones are not sealed along the edges, but the new ones are (if that makes sense?)
User avatar
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1474
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:54 pm
CW-watches: 5
Location: Plymouth, England, UK

Re: Tiber leather Watch Strap

Post by DISJT »

Image
CHRIS
User avatar
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:51 pm
CW-watches: 0

Re: Tiber leather Watch Strap

Post by TigerChris »

^^ You beat me to it Chris, I was just going to find an old style in a different colour out of my strap box to take a similar pic.
User avatar
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:29 pm
CW-watches: 2
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Tiber leather Watch Strap

Post by mvlow »

TigerChris wrote:^^ I'll just note here that the 2 different Camel straps above were different colours to start with. Chris' looks like on 'old style' Tiber, which was a lot lighter in colour than the 'new style', which Niks looks like. I've had both, still own the new one, the lighter one now belongs to Dean (eddiethebeast) and so I can't do a side by side comparison, but it is worth noting the differences for you I think.
Thats good to know. The newer one might just be dark enough for me.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Seiko SKX007 Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking
Post Reply