Watch winder....Best Buy and advice how to use

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
ChrisMin

Re: Watch winder....Best Buy and advice how to use

Post by ChrisMin »

I have the Piccolo winder. Got it as a Christmas present. Is v quiet and certainly keeps my Trident 600 ticking along nicely. Not sure I would buy one though as 10 winds last thing at night will happily suffice. Having said that, it's handy when I wear my 300 quartz for a few days. Put the 600 in the winder and forget it (well, for a while until I HAVE to wear it).
yuri9206
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 11

Post by yuri9206 »

Thanks Chris! :wave:
C8 Pilot MK II; C5 Malvern MK II; C60 Trident Pro 600 black; C11 Titanium Extreme 1000; C65 Trident Classic LE; C60 Trident Titanium Pro 600 #2; C60 Trident Pro 600 white; C11 MSL Black Manta; C11 Titanium Elite 500; C8 Mark I; C11 Makaira pro 500 orange
shrink
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by shrink »

I use a barrington winder. Very cute wee things, and with a nice series of TPD settings. They are also pretty silent, and can be daisy chained so you can run a few off of one power supply. I'm very happy with mine.

However, I did end up with more than I need, and as such I am moving one on in the sales section, if it is of any interest!
Who watches the watch-men
jamesdill
CW-watches: 3

Post by jamesdill »

bought the 8x winder here + holds 9 watches on the pads down below - very good quality : )

https://www.watchwinderworks.com.au/
Mike2795647
Senior
Senior

Post by Mike2795647 »

I was toying with one as my collection grows, however currently focusing more on obtaining my 3rd watch so not a priority, also plan to rotate and if they stop then quite happy to manually set as to me that’s one of the attractions over a quiartz, my friends husband has one and swears by them though. Would have to be a nice one though if I did to ensure on display
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

I just don’t get why you need one, unless you have a watch with a complication that would be a pain to set (moonphase as an example). Even if you have your watches on a winder you still have to set them if wearing in rotation anyway due to them gaining/losing. Even a day/date only takes a minute max to set from being stopped. Couple that with having to put them near a plug socket, noise of the motor etc.. and my opinion is that watches are better off just in a box. Part of the attraction of a mechanical watch to me is picking it up, giving it a few winds and setting it ready to strap on. There’s no correct answer as to whether you use one or not as its down to personal preference. Some people swear by them and others, like me, wouldn’t give them house room.
jrpasis

Post by jrpasis »

I used a winder for a while, a $50 model from Amazon Prime, and it worked well enough. But considering how it doesn't take long to wind and set a mechanical movement, I got rid of it and haven't missed it. I do rotate the use of my watches every week (although, we all have that favorite one!)
Collection: Hamilton Khaki Pilot Automatic, Fortis Aviatis Flieger Professional, Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Steel, CW C65 Trident Classic Mk II
i20sailor

Post by i20sailor »

I have a single watch winder and 6 automatic watches. Found that the one on the winder looses enough time during my rotation of watches that I have the need to re-set the time anyways so nothing gained by being on the winder.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

The jury seems to be out on whether winders have any real impact, positive or negative, so it becomes largely a matter of choice. I use a winder because I like to have mine set more or less correctly when I choose one to wear on a particular day. I reset them when they get about 5 minutes out, when I start to notice they are wrong.

I have one like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Luxury-Black ... 0705.m4780

I can’t remember the name of my seller, so I can’t recommend this listing per se. The Mabuchi motors seems to be very good and quiet - mine is several years old and still works well and looks pristine. One word of warning - if you already have 2 automatic watches, go for at least a four-watch model. You’ll outgrow a twoser pretty quickly, and be aware when they say “leather”, it isn’t- it’s PU leather.

My winder has several modes (TPD, direction etc.); you should be able to find the winding requirements for the more common movements and it’s important to use the correct setting- some movements wind in one direction only, which I recently discovered when I had a Valjoux 7750 winding in both directions and it stopped..... there’s another reason why you should consider a quad - the winding mode is on each carousel, which means both watches on the same carousel should wind the same way.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot