SH21 Movement - another winding question

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

SH21 Movement - another winding question

Post by FloridaPhil »

I just received my C8 Power Reserve and noticed when winding it and looking at the movement that one barrel seemed to turn continuously as I wound, the other turned a little and then stopped. That doesn't 'seem' right but what do I know?

Can someone confirm for me? It's the barrel above the Christopher Ward text that turns continuously. The watch is now fully wound so I can't do any more investigation at this time!

WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Kuztomized
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Re: SH21 Movement - another winding question

Post by Kuztomized »

What was the power reserve when you started looking at the movement? I seem to remember reading that the barrels wind one at a time. My only SH21 has a metal caseback so I can't check for myself.
CW C60 SH21 | C9 5 Day | C65 MkI | Ω Speedy Pro
Oris Aquis Date | Tissot Couturier Day/Date
Orient Mako II USA | Ray II | G-Shock GD350-1B
Wrist 7.25"
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

Kuztomized wrote:What was the power reserve when you started looking at the movement? I seem to remember reading that the barrels wind one at a time. My only SH21 has a metal caseback so I can't check for myself.
It was just above 2 days reserve so what you say could well be correct.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

FloridaPhil wrote:
Kuztomized wrote:What was the power reserve when you started looking at the movement? I seem to remember reading that the barrels wind one at a time. My only SH21 has a metal caseback so I can't check for myself.
It was just above 2 days reserve so what you say could well be correct.
In theory they should be 2.5 days each, so if you had just over 2 days power reserve already, you may have only really been winding the second barrel to get from 2.5 to 5 days.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
theemaadhatter
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 8

Post by theemaadhatter »

When I got mine the reserve was at zero and the barrels independently turned through the process, not simultaneously. So with yours having a couple days on it, sounds normal that only one barrel might turn. Glad you got the watch...looks as good as mine! :)

And it's lasted five days on one charge, so both must be working. haha
TMH (https://watchcomplications.com)
"it is maddening choosing your outfit based on the watch you want to wear..."
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Congratulations on your acquisition Phil, looks FAB. :thumbup:

Now that your query about winding and barrel rotation has been answered...

.... take a deep breath, exhale, relax and enjoy. Oh, and maybe have a wee dram of something alcoholic to celebrate. :cheers:

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
fishman
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by fishman »

That watch looks fantastic!
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

Thank you all for your feedback. I think that it's probably okay - I'll test it out in 5 days!!! :shock:

It really is a fine looking watch. It is quite similar in size and style to several of my other watches but I think it's a keeper.
WatchChat on Facebook
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Beautiful watch. Chronometer, 5 day power reserve, display back, logo centre justified at 12....what's not to like!
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Thegreyman wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:59 am Beautiful watch. Chronometer, 5 day power reserve, display back, logo centre justified at 12....what's not to like!
I really enjoy the multi level dial too - captivating.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

I have had my C8 PR since they first came out and no, you will not see both barrels winding simultaneously. I believe they run parallel to each other, meaning they wind and unwind together, so if one barrel has even slightly more tension, then the other one turns. Additionally, as you wind and watch (pun not intended) the first barrel turns, the second, only the gear on top as it winds the spring inside. Mine has been perfect so far, and as near a perfect timekeeper as any in my box. Enjoy!
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Chris375
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 15

Post by Chris375 »

On the subject of winding (and also for automatic watches) I was interested in people's thoughts regarding maintaining 'power status' in watches.
I recently purchased two manual wind SH21 movement CW watches and is it best to keep them wound and, obviously, continually working or to let them power down till they stop? I appreciate views vary but wondered if it better to let the mechanisms keep working to save them stopping or to let them stop to save wearing out cogs,etc.
Cheers
Chris
10xCW, 3xBremont, 2xTag Heuer, 6xOmega, 1xHamilton, 1xSeiko
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

I will tell you I have read much on this and it absolutely depends on who you talk to. Many respected independent watchmakers say the only reason to run a watch continuously is so you won't need to be bothered setting the calendar. That if run continuously it will need to be serviced every 3-5 years to replenish the lubricants that keep things turning. The manufacturers will tell you to have your watch serviced every 3-5 years because the lubricants degrade over time and need to be replaced/replenished anyway. I once read an interview with Jack Nicklaus concerning his gold Rolex President, in which he states stated that it is the only watch he has worn in the last 52 years. Regrettably the service history of the watch was not mentioned in the article.
I would say there is truth in both theories tho I would think with the advance of synthetic lubricants, things along this front are better than when mineral oil was the oil of choice. Though not a watchmaker, I do have a good deal of practical experience with all things mechanical, and will tell you, whether a car or a watch, if it has moving parts...it will need maintaining. So after all that...no definitive answer.🙄 Ultimately the choice is yours. Just remember to enjoy!😊
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight