Seaforth preorders tomorrow 1/18

A place to discuss other watch-brands
theemaadhatter
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 8

Re: Seaforth preorders tomorrow 1/18

Post by theemaadhatter »

Weirdly...I just randomly checked the site after problems all morning and placed an order...it went through and I have a receipt...we'll see if it actually happens.
TMH (https://watchcomplications.com)
"it is maddening choosing your outfit based on the watch you want to wear..."
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

If there are only a relatively small number of watches available why allow 3 watches per order, why not 1 per order then it'd reduce the possibility of multiple "normal" orders from people buying purely for profit.

Maybe wouldn't be a major impact on bot buying but could have reduced that 30 in 3 mins to 10 in 3 mins at least.

I can just see this continuing ad nauseam while there are limited numbers of watches available. How do you secure a site against bot buying software?
theemaadhatter
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by theemaadhatter »

^^^ a good starting point is a Captcha
BobMunro
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by BobMunro »

theemaadhatter wrote:Weirdly...I just randomly checked the site after problems all morning and placed an order...it went through and I have a receipt...we'll see if it actually happens.
Similar - chose Abyss Blue with Saphire, placed in cart, filled out the order page, payment details, clicked confirm - and it immediately came back ‘you have nothing in your cart’.

Tried to order again and ‘not available’.

Grrrrrr!
Time flies whether you're having fun or not. The choice is yours.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

theemaadhatter wrote:^^^ a good starting point is a Captcha
Yeah, good point.
theemaadhatter
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by theemaadhatter »

BobMunro wrote:
theemaadhatter wrote:Weirdly...I just randomly checked the site after problems all morning and placed an order...it went through and I have a receipt...we'll see if it actually happens.
Similar - chose Abyss Blue with Saphire, placed in cart, filled out the order page, payment details, clicked confirm - and it immediately came back ‘you have nothing in your cart’.

Tried to order again and ‘not available’.

Grrrrrr!
It was lucky/accidental timing for me. I had just got back to my office, sat down, opened my computer and decided to refresh the page just to see if the site was back up and I saw the green button. I thought "no way." I don't think I ever typed so fast in my life...and I'm in Computer Science. Now there's a receipt which I hope hope gets honored. Pastel Blue, Steel Dive bezel.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Good for you.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
shirehorse
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by shirehorse »

There must only a very small number maybe only 100 of each dial or these to sell out while the site was being tested (but still live) for a few minutes. It sounds like there will be some available from 22-Jan... but some dials could be sold out already. I can't see Jason cancelling orders where payment has actually gone through... surely that would be a headache and only cause more bad feeling.

On the positive side, it sounds like Jason won't be retiring soon... unless this is all too stressful for him!
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Mikkei4 wrote:
Yeah, good point.
It's a good point but referencing my earlier post re the clothing brands my son is into, some of them also use captchas and he tells me that there are bots that can even solve those :shock:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
shirehorse
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by shirehorse »

Thegreyman wrote:
Mikkei4 wrote:
Yeah, good point.
It's a good point but referencing my earlier post re the clothing brands my son is into, some of them also use captchas and he tells me that there are bots that can even solve those :shock:
Bots or even bots farming out these requests to humans via a service like Mechnical Turk. I find that a sad situation to be in!
theemaadhatter
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by theemaadhatter »

shirehorse wrote:There must only a very small number maybe only 100 of each dial or these to sell out while the site was being tested (but still live) for a few minutes. It sounds like there will be some available from 22-Jan... but some dials could be sold out already. I can't see Jason cancelling orders where payment has actually gone through... surely that would be a headache and only cause more bad feeling.

On the positive side, it sounds like Jason won't be retiring soon... unless this is all too stressful for him!
Taking bots out of the equation, it had to be a very small number that got through. Actual ordering was only open for several minutes spread across 10 minutes. I would think it has to be less than 100. In which case honoring them isn't so bad because there's still availability for a full-on launch. From what I could make of the Instagram thread, he's counting through to see how many legitimate orders went through before making a decision. I know what side of the fence I'm on...
BerlinCW
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by BerlinCW »

Greetings,

So we will see what Monday brings!
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

theemaadhatter wrote:It was lucky/accidental timing for me. I had just got back to my office, sat down, opened my computer and decided to refresh the page just to see if the site was back up and I saw the green button. I thought "no way." I don't think I ever typed so fast in my life...and I'm in Computer Science. Now there's a receipt which I hope hope gets honored. Pastel Blue, Steel Dive bezel.
Well done, that was the exact combination I had decided was the best :thumbup:

I really like that pastel blue dial and having originally preferred the sapphire black bezel, I'd concluded after studying the photos on the website, that the steel bezel was more unusual and was probably my favourite.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
theemaadhatter
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by theemaadhatter »

Yeah, I had studied the pics a lot also and just kept coming back to that one, which usually is a good clue :) But I didn't actually expect to get one considering how things were last year and so far this year.

Less than 30 legit orders made it through during the random live testing. I didn't even know. I had been in class, got back, opened the page and refreshed and was like...well ok, they must have got it working, I'll try. With it being that low of a number, he's honoring the orders and there's still plenty plenty for this week.

What's nice is that I won't have to worry about trying to make another run at it, which I wasn't sure I wanted to spend any more time doing anyway. I got mine :)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Following the Seiko Tuna thread, I came across the Halios Puck (on ForaSec's website).

Moving over to check Halios direct, I got this message on the home page;-

"UPDATE #1 (January 22, 2018): Migration to the Shopify platform has begun and work on the site continues. The plan is to be able to open orders for the Puck and Seaforth by the weekend. Please check back here on Friday Jan 26 or visit the Instagram feed at the link below for the next update."

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England