Christopher Ward Trident C60 vs Longines Hydroconquest

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Christopher Ward Trident C60 vs Longines Hydroconquest

Post by johncolescarr »

I have recently been the owner of both the CW Trident C60 43mm (new logo) and Longines Hydroconquest 41mm and wanted to share my views in case others find themselves looking at these models. Both are similarly priced and there is always a lot of comparison made on other forums.

I think the CW Trident is bloody brilliant, the best watch I've ever handled, but, spoiler alert, I flipped it for the Longines.

In terms of build quality, detailing and finishing, the CW wins hands down, it is easily in the class above the Longines.

But my main issue with the watch is size and some of the design features. I just couldnt cope with the heft of the 43mm case and heavy bracelet, even after a week I could feel it weighing my wrist down. It also looked far too big on my 7.5" wrists, although the lugs are beautifully shaped, its still way too big. I also found that this huge case is accentuated by the high taper on the bracelet from 22mm lug to clasp. I also didnt like the new logo, I think the old branding is much more in keeping with the watch.

But the positives of the watch are the flawless finish, the amazing bracelet and clasp, the dial finishing with applied, chromed markers and the superior lume (but still not as good as seiko and orient). The bezel is beautiful and the specs are all round just better than the Longines. I also liked the dressiness of the watch, not sure on the 3 entirely different hand design but it grew on me as it separates this watch from your typical homage piece. One cannot accuse the CW trident of being a copy of either the submariner or seamaster (although many try to claim this, I mean its like claiming that Ford copy Mercedes by having 4 wheels)

Now on to the Longines Hydroconquest. now I have to admit that I prefer the looks of the HC and this is 90% why I chose this over the CW. I think the balance between sport and dress is better, with the polished centrelinks making it just dressy enough to wear with shirt and trousers. Also I think the dial design is more coherent, and the oversized 6,9 and 12 balances perfectly with the date at 3 o clock. At 41mm its perfectly sized, not too big, not too small and its also not too heavy. I will also admit I do like having a piece of horological heritage on my wrist, call me vein but I do like the fact its a Longines.

Now to the negatives, TBH, if it weren't for the ETA 2824/2 movement, sapphire crystal and solid end links, this watch would be no better than my orient ray, a watch worth about £100 new and maybe £50 second hand!
The bezel is aluminium and the markings are simply printed, not engraved, there isn't even any finishing around the date window and the watch clasp is frankly terrible, the deployment mechanism is horrid. The lume is by far the weakest I've ever experiences, they may as well not bothered.
The bracelet links lack the feeling of solidity of the CW. The only superior feature is the end links, they really are well fitted.
The crown is not as tactile as the CW and also the large crown guards make setting the time fiddly, especially screwing the crown back in.

As for price, the CW is £725, but I picked it up at 3 months old for £440! The Longines HC is £860, but I picked up a 24 month old version for £575 (both in perfect condition) So the CW can be bought for less but I would say doesnt hold its value as well.

In conclusion, based purely on quality and build, the CW is the best watch, but as all watch lovers know, you have to love a watch and I just didnt love the CW, as much as I tried to. I really hope that CW produce some smaller divers (im talking 40mm, not 38mm!). I'd have a CW Trident C65 tomorrow if it weren't for the huge 43mm case!
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
copemanphoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Re: Christopher Ward Trident C60 vs Longines Hydroconquest

Post by copemanphoto »

Great review of 2 very nice watches.
Cheers, Mike.
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Good review. I remember a person telling me that the Trident had better tooling and finishing than the Oris Aquis but he preferred the Aquis for it's originality and bracelet; similar to your feelings.

This review made me happy because I can wear both the 38mm and 43mm versions, and I like the new logo. So many people turned off because of little things, where for me it's usually just the design itself that is the deal breaker. I do hope they come out with a 40mm version in the future; though.
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
porkupine1
Senior
Senior

Post by porkupine1 »

Interesting write up, thank you.
I also have an issue with the 43mm size which I just find too big (although not having overly small wrists!).
I am considering going for the 38mm version (and just hoping it does not look too small when it arrives!)
MadG
Senior
Senior

Post by MadG »

Great review .. Thanks
CBMVic20
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by CBMVic20 »

Thanks for the review. I was choosing between the two a while back but decided on a Trident 600 instead for the reasons mentioned (quality and finish). I also didn't like the aluminium bezel on the Longines and think the Trident looks better, more unique. For me, the only thing the HC had over the Trident is size but I can live with 43mm.

How about some pics of your Trident and HC side-by-side? :thumbup:
CW C9 SH21 | C60 Apex SH21 | C65 SH21
Ernst Benz Chronoscope DLC
Oris WilliamsF1 Day Date 2004
Phoibos Leviathan DLC
Seiko 5 Sports Orange "Baby" Monster
Tag Aquaracer | F1 Panda

Too many watches, not enough time :(
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I too enjoyed your review.

I am a fan of Longines myself just don't like the look of the HC, it to me looks a cheaper made watch than the Trident. I have 3 Tridents, all 42/43mm and I think they are fine for my smallish wrist, although I haven't handled a 38mm.

If you consider many people haven't paid full retail for their Tridents, then I don't think they lose too much value, still reasonably strong residuals on ebay which is the main marketplace.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but as an update to the CW vs Longines post, I’ve flipped the Longines! And replaced it with a CW C65 classic.
I came to loath the quality failings of the HC, the poor bracelet, terrible lume etc but most of all I realised most of my love for the watch was based on it being a Longines, ie the brand.
This love affair was never made to last.

I’m adoring the quality of finishing on the C65, it’s the white dial now discontinued model, on a fantastic black leather CW strap. Love love love the quick release pins!

Currently eyeing up a C60 GMT 38mm to join the stable, and perhaps a Rapide too (although I can’t decide whether it’s too much of a homage to th Tag Carrera)
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
Dilbert
Senior
Senior

Post by Dilbert »

johncolescarr wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:53 pm Sorry for resurrecting an old thread
And I'm sorry for doing the same thing! As I'm mulling over the C60 Elite 1000, I'd love to know your thoughts about how this CW model sits against the HydroConquest and Oris. Build quality? Bracelets? Bezel actions? Quality feel?

And if you've handled them, how does the Elite 1000 feel compared to the regular C60? (Setting aside the differences between titanium and steel.)
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

Hi,

I can only comment on the steel MK3 C60s in regular and GMT format. The new C60s blow the old model hydroconquest completely out of the water (forgive the dive watch pun). Everything is substantially better, lume, bezel, bracelet, finishing.
Longines have updated the hydroconquest in 2018 addressing many of the niggles, and I’ve never handled one of these. Hopefully someone else can come along and provide some first hand insight
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
Wiggles
Senior
Senior

Post by Wiggles »

johncolescarr wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:19 pm I have recently been the owner of both the CW Trident C60 43mm (new logo) and Longines Hydroconquest 41mm and wanted to share my views in case others find themselves looking at these models. Both are similarly priced and there is always a lot of comparison made on other forums.

I think the CW Trident is bloody brilliant, the best watch I've ever handled, but, spoiler alert, I flipped it for the Longines.

In terms of build quality, detailing and finishing, the CW wins hands down, it is easily in the class above the Longines.

But my main issue with the watch is size and some of the design features. I just couldnt cope with the heft of the 43mm case and heavy bracelet, even after a week I could feel it weighing my wrist down. It also looked far too big on my 7.5" wrists, although the lugs are beautifully shaped, its still way too big. I also found that this huge case is accentuated by the high taper on the bracelet from 22mm lug to clasp. I also didnt like the new logo, I think the old branding is much more in keeping with the watch.

But the positives of the watch are the flawless finish, the amazing bracelet and clasp, the dial finishing with applied, chromed markers and the superior lume (but still not as good as seiko and orient). The bezel is beautiful and the specs are all round just better than the Longines. I also liked the dressiness of the watch, not sure on the 3 entirely different hand design but it grew on me as it separates this watch from your typical homage piece. One cannot accuse the CW trident of being a copy of either the submariner or seamaster (although many try to claim this, I mean its like claiming that Ford copy Mercedes by having 4 wheels)

Now on to the Longines Hydroconquest. now I have to admit that I prefer the looks of the HC and this is 90% why I chose this over the CW. I think the balance between sport and dress is better, with the polished centrelinks making it just dressy enough to wear with shirt and trousers. Also I think the dial design is more coherent, and the oversized 6,9 and 12 balances perfectly with the date at 3 o clock. At 41mm its perfectly sized, not too big, not too small and its also not too heavy. I will also admit I do like having a piece of horological heritage on my wrist, call me vein but I do like the fact its a Longines.

Now to the negatives, TBH, if it weren't for the ETA 2824/2 movement, sapphire crystal and solid end links, this watch would be no better than my orient ray, a watch worth about £100 new and maybe £50 second hand!
The bezel is aluminium and the markings are simply printed, not engraved, there isn't even any finishing around the date window and the watch clasp is frankly terrible, the deployment mechanism is horrid. The lume is by far the weakest I've ever experiences, they may as well not bothered.
The bracelet links lack the feeling of solidity of the CW. The only superior feature is the end links, they really are well fitted.
The crown is not as tactile as the CW and also the large crown guards make setting the time fiddly, especially screwing the crown back in.

As for price, the CW is £725, but I picked it up at 3 months old for £440! The Longines HC is £860, but I picked up a 24 month old version for £575 (both in perfect condition) So the CW can be bought for less but I would say doesnt hold its value as well.

In conclusion, based purely on quality and build, the CW is the best watch, but as all watch lovers know, you have to love a watch and I just didnt love the CW, as much as I tried to. I really hope that CW produce some smaller divers (im talking 40mm, not 38mm!). I'd have a CW Trident C65 tomorrow if it weren't for the huge 43mm case!
That's an interesting review. I just sold my 43mm C60 for the same reason, it was too big, and my wrist is under 7". I actually thought the lume on my C60 was dreadful, but perhaps you had a newer version. The bracelet on mine had polished centre links, which I don't like, and still to this day CW don't use screws for their bracelets, which I find strange. Put all that to one side, and it was an extremely good watch. I think you will find they cost more now than you stated. Best thing about mine was that I paid £350 for it four years ago, and just sold it for £450, so very happy there. I love the aesthetics of the HC, but have never actually handled one, so thanks for the heads up. I am not particularly enamoured by brand names, or even a watch's country of origin, I concentrate on quality and spec. I am a great fan of Borealis, a Portuguese brand produced in Asia. They make incredible watches at very good prices. I also bought a Nodus recently, and was absolutely blown away by it.
OneBrokeCollector

Post by OneBrokeCollector »

Thanks for the review. I watched 10 reviews before pulling the trigger
Topdude
CW-watches: 0

Post by Topdude »

Thank you very much for this comparison.
The HC is on my shortlist too.
Very useful insights!
Tempus fugit
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Topdude wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:21 am Thank you very much for this comparison.
Very useful insights!
Just to point out that the original post is a few years old and against the C60 mk2
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:11 pm
Topdude wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:21 am Thank you very much for this comparison.
Very useful insights!
Just to point out that the original post is a few years old and against the C60 mk2

Good shout @KCM.

@Topdude, @OneBrokeCollector - you might find this review I did useful;- C60 Trident Pro Mk3 - First Look.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England